It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Linko90: Please keep it civil.
Sid Meier's Gettysburg
Post edited August 01, 2018 by tinyE
For me that game was Terraria. For a long time I thought that game was nothing more than a cheap 2D clone of Minecraft. Which I didn't like because it is only a building sandbox and not even a real game.

But the game was always highly recommended (I don't think I have ever seen a negative review of it.) and got constantly supported and expanded by the devs for free which is a big plus in my book. So when Terraria came to GOG with a reasonable price of $9.99 and a 75% launch discount on top which pushed the price down to $2.49 I bought it on impulse just for the sake of curiosity. I figured that even if I didn't like it the price is so low that I wouldn't care.

The result: Best impulse-buy ever! The game turned out to be much more of an almost metroidvania like action-platformer than a building sandbox. The only thing you have to build is a house for the NPCs if you want to use their services and lots of torches to light up the caves. Other than that you occasionally build better armor, weapons and equipment but you can also use stuff that you found.

And even if there is little to no story in the game it does have a goal: Beating all the bosses. All in all I easily put several 100 hours into the game and felt like I have cheated the devs because I bought it for so little money. That's why I bought the game two more times over the course of the years to give away.
Minecraft.
I hated the idea behind it. I hated the aesthetic. I hated the popularity despite it being a stupid game for stupid people. Then I played it once and discovered survival mode. I have a true to life sized castle I built.... And It is MONSTROUS and took months of working in game to get it done.
AndreeaB: Warframe

For a few years, my friends wanted me to try Warframe but since i don't like FPS games i wasn't really interested in trying it out but one day one my friend was playing the game and he had to urgently do something(don't remember what exactly) and since you don't have a pause button he let me continue the mission until it was over. And i liked it, because you're not obligated to use guns, you can use melee weapons and weapons that you don't even have to aim. Ever since i tried it for the first time i loved te game
I have a coworker who's always going on and on about Warframe. He's constantly trying to get me to play. I've never been a big fan of any MMO, and most free-to-play games immediately get my suspicions up. Basically I'm expecting the "free" aspect to be limited and barely supported while having constant microtransactions shoved in my face. He assures me that's not the case, but I'm still skeptical. However, the actual idea of the game does sound pretty interesting. I love the idea of building and upgrading your own personal mech and testing it in battle. I've gotten close to giving it a shot, but still haven't quite given in.
Oh, also :

I'm a bit protective of (my childhood images of) Tolkien's work, so I tend to block out movie adaptations and such things, which, in my eyes, just spoil the poetry of his universe. But, after hearing enough intriguing things about Shadow of Mordor's gameplay (the nemesis system - I just love my AI opponents to have a face, a name and a grief), I decided to put this aside, to buy and play it as some generic heroic fantasy game.

It was a good decision. I really loved that game. One of the great gaming surprises of the last few years (and the tolkienoïd references were easy to ignore or shrug off).

Still, its sequel is back off-limits to me, for entirely different reasons (the lootbox politics and all that).
I hate most zombie games and i only bought dying light for the ps4 because i needed a game for my ps4 (bought in 2017) with some freeroam (i love loot hunting). so when i started it i became adicted to it right away, it was crazy. many allnighters later i bought the gog version, then i bought the steam version. The addiction i have to this game is unbelievable. The Last time i was this hyped for a game was when i bought half-life 2 the week it came out and playing it on my radeon 9800pro and an overclocked cpu. So....i was even crazier back then. these days i only use regular laptops for gaming, so dying light hit me by a complete surprise. wasn't expecting to love this game. i love the characters, the world, almost everything.
Poker Games. I've always hated em but still play for hours. :P
BlackMageJ: Metal Gear Solid

Part of it was because it was just old fashioned console wars- there was no way this PS1 game could be the best game ever when that title obviously belonged to the N64 and Ocarina of Time. But I also thought that the whole idea of a 'stealth' game where you pretty much lost if the enemy even saw you sounded stupid.

Then I got a PS1, and a demo disc with the MGS1 demo. And I played it... and it ended on a fascinating cliffhanger. And I had to find out how that cliffhanger resolved... and I've been obsessed with the franchise ever since. And have completed pacifist runs of even stealthier stealth games like Thief and Deus Ex (and Silent Assassin runs of most Hitman games).

Ocarina is still better, though.
Same. I thought i'd never like stealth elements in games, especially stealth games, because of LoZ's stealth missions. Whether ocarina of time or wind waker, they sucked. What kills me is that now that you play real stealth games, they're cakewalk. It seems more logical to say that those one of missions were just badly done, and seem harder than they really were, since you don't have the background to do them properly.

EDIT: And Monster Hunter. I never expected that one to be awesome, since the title's crappy. Dead or Alive i ended up enjoying alot, too, and consequently Virtua Fighter despite it always being in the bargin bin.
Post edited August 09, 2018 by kohlrak
When I was a teenager I didin't like RPG games. I thought this genre is boring and I was discouraged by the amount of text you need to read to actually play. Later I fell in love with these games. It started with Fallout. I needed a few tries to see its greatness. For a long time it was the only RPG I tolerated. Then I convinced myself to fantasy RPG (hello Planescape Torment) and stayed with this genre until today.
Post edited August 10, 2018 by Sarafan
demonwyrm:
Sorry for not responding sooner but i didn't receive a notification.
I understand what you say about hating "constant microtransactions shoved in my face" but this is not that kind of game.I am going, to be honest, the beginning is hard especially if you don't have anyone to explain how everything works but Warframe is the type of game that if you work and grind for it you will get it, everything except cosmetics that there is no way of getting except buying and most them you can buy them with in-game currency(it's called platinum). That fact that it has in-game currency and a marketplace makes it so you can sell stuff you don't need to other players, so it's quite easy to get platinum as long as you are online and able to trade.

If need anything else explained or anything else, let me know since i am more then glad to help :)
As a big fan of the original Fallouts I hated everything of FO3 when I saw the first clips for it. It was all focus on gory the FPS action was. Oh boy I hated against it with the material Beth released.

Now I have it 3 times; the normal FO3 around its release; the later GOTY box and finally the digital GOG release. It was totally misrepresented IMO and compared to the overall experience the small (optional) FPS segment was completely blown out of its proportions in its falsely presented significance.

It sucked a bit that it took Beth 9 years to release a spinoff with its 2017 release of Obsidians New Vegas (which at least came significantly cheaper since it was already a GOTY version and price reduce of it first release day) and nothing else entirely in the FO franchise but a slight relabeling of the first 2 with the Beth-logo because apparently I am willing and stupid enough to buy the same game multiple times if its release conditions do not suck ass ;)

*edit*
Now that I think about it Bethesda is really slacking. That latest TES game released is already 12y old; should they not release some kind of sequel to Oblivion (which I bought twice + the isles addon) too; maybe something with more Nords & some Dragons in it?
:-P
Post edited August 14, 2018 by Anothername
Cloning Clyde. The first time I tried the demo I wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it. A couple years later I tried it again and ended up playing it extensively.
Pathologic. It looked like a crappy eastern indie and the original had bugs and a terrible translation.
Then I watched an LP of the remastered version, loved it and bought it :D
Btw ages ago I heard there was a sequel/remake in production..
Hm, maybe Crimsonland. On seeing the screenshots, I just thought: "What an ugly, bland looking game, and what's this obsession with gore anyway? So much for good taste. If anything, it's disgusting." But when I tried the game, I couldn't stop playing it. The mechanics are so simple and yet totally addictive. I ended up playing through it and it was great fun.

Other than that, there were some games that I wasn't necessarily pre-judiced against before playing, but which made a bad first impression on me when I tried them and which I came to love on the second (or third) try only. Like Enclave, of which I first played the demo and hated it, it felt off in some many ways; but when I got it from GOG anyway some day and gave the full game a chance, I actually liked it a lot. Not sure if that was due to different expectations the second time or the actual GOG game possibly running much better than the demo. And with Saints Row The Third and Far Cry Blood Dragon, I hated the introductory/tutorial missions (linear, rigid goals, no custom character and me being put off and weirded out by having to shoot scantily dressed women and their ragdolls lying around ins SRT, no saving the game in both of them). Then I found out that the open world gameplay is actually quite different from these missions and a lot more fun, and that the games give you more freedom and customization options later on, and knowing that, I could enjoy the other missions more. I also managed to loosen up and not take these ridiculous games so seriously, to embrace the bad taste, and I had a blast.
Post edited August 14, 2018 by Leroux
hudfreegamer: Cloning Clyde. The first time I tried the demo I wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it. A couple years later I tried it again and ended up playing it extensively.
Cloning Clyde?

How sad is it that those horrible movies were the first thing I thought of when I read his post? :P