It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Or maybe not 100% and maybe not to bits. But still.

Military shooters ? Beh. Hate uniforms, hate patriotic killings and their glamorization, and, what a boring unoriginal setting anyway. And how distateful for the genuine people who were being genuinely killed there. Wait, what's this game you're playing. Call of what ? Can I try ?

Oh.

Yeah, Call of Duty 1 and 2 were damn good. So, that's one criterion out of the window. What else ?

Saints Row ? Like a cheaper, lighter GTA3 rip-of, just trying to look more silly and random ? Isn't that just embarrassing ? Look at how hard it tries to look cool. Oh well, I'm out of GTA games so why not.

And damn, the GTA games are boring and self-important, in comparison. Going back to them would be like going back to the Beatles after a long Rutles documentary binge. It would take some time.

Nox, lackluster diablo-clone with the worst geek wish fulfillment premise since the matrix. What to expect ? Again, out of diablo-clones, so hey, let's dive into what turns out to be one of the best of them all, tone and gameplay-wise.

Defender's Quest ? A bland tower defense that tries to be funny ? Okay, and also managed to. And it just simply great.

So, what prejudice about what game, or game genre, has been misleading you for too long ?

And which prejudices do you suspect may be still wrongly keeping you away from games that you might enjoy immensely ?
Enter the Gungeon
I thought: another bullet-hell, roguelite, Nuclear Throne clone... I got it on some sale, lured by the good reviews, and has been one of my favourite games since then (for a long time).
Telika: So, what prejudice about what game, or game genre, has been misleading you for too long ?
What I can't undersntand - if you are "prejudiced" aganinst some game or game genre, how could you end playing it in the first place?
Post edited July 30, 2018 by LootHunter
Huniepop

Despite hearing great things about the gameplay I stayed away from it for a long time, but I eventually caved in and it is indeed the best match 3 game I've ever played. I wish I could find another example of the genre that has the same level of strategic depth.
Asbeau: Huniepop

Despite hearing great things about the gameplay I stayed away from it for a long time, but I eventually caved in and it is indeed the best match 3 game I've ever played. I wish I could find another example of the genre that has the same level of strategic depth.
SEE

I'm not such a bad guy for playing it! :D
Telika: So, what prejudice about what game, or game genre, has been misleading you for too long ?
LootHunter: What I can't undersntand - if you are "prejudiced" aganinst some game or game genre, how could you end playing it in the first place?
I gave some exemples. Watching people play it, scraping the supposed bottom of a genre's barrel, giving in to curiosity after reviews or comments. Can also be playing something acquired in a bundle, etc.
No Man's Sky - I was only ever interested in the single player experience and I still found it rather bland and very overpriced (and with good reason). I mostly put it out of my mind and thought it was just another thing going nowhere until recently.

Now that patch 1.5 has come out and the game was 50% off on GOG last week, I jumped in, bought it myself and I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. It's a more than decent survival-exploration single player sandbox.

The performance is also good on a 1050 Ti (Mid/High 1080p), though I heard it was far from great when it was first released.

I know a lot of people are still upset at Hello Games for the originally promised stuff which are still not there, especially in the GOG version (which has no multiplayer), but they are, albeit slowly, doing some good work on growing the game.

Selling it for $60+ considering the state it was in when they released it though... that was definitely not a nice move.
Post edited July 30, 2018 by WinterSnowfall
Arcanum. Maybe Amazon advertised it terribly, but I was completely put off buying it. Nearly a decade later I played it and loved it.
LootHunter: What I can't undersntand - if you are "prejudiced" aganinst some game or game genre, how could you end playing it in the first place?
Telika: I gave some exemples. Watching people play it, scraping the supposed bottom of a genre's barrel, giving in to curiosity after reviews or comments. Can also be playing something acquired in a bundle, etc.
Yeah, I sorta got it. But what I mean is that my opinion obviously changes as I acquire more info on the game (trailers, reviews, even demo). I disliked the first trailer of Haimrik, but the second made me curious. I was skeptical about Witcher until reviews. I didn't want exactly to play BioShock Infinite thinking that they just dumb down "quantum tear" mechanics into scripted events... and was totally right. But I still did enjoy the story, as I knew I would (and that's why I played it). What is kinda hard for me to imagine is situation where I get all "this is total crap" impression from all the sources and stil install the thing and play.
Post edited July 30, 2018 by LootHunter
Divinity Original Sin I must say, didn't like the artstyle or the whimsical theme, but the gameplay ended up winning me over.
SaGa 3

I was expecting the same random number, random meat, random plot revelation nonsense that the previous two games had, and I had interest in Legend of the Holy Sword (SD1). So it turns out maybe putting an action RPG on the Game Boy has some issues, but SaGa 3 with actual level ups and a sensible progression system, plus the ability to make your entire team into killer robots was pretty awesome.
Starcraft and Starcraft 2...i wasnt one to play rts games or really think too hard when it came to playing and be strategic but god after playing it i loved it its the only two rts i will ever play in a long while

Sure, you play it for its "strategic depth" ;)

Puzzle Quest is a nice strategic match 3 game too.
Dying Light:

I bought it just so a couple of friends could buy a cheaper 4 pack (I found a fourth buyer as well). I'm just not that much into zombies. But once I started it, I got hooked pretty fast and enjoyed it a lot, despite the main campaign being very flawed.

Hollow Knight:

I got it for free from a friendly goglodite here. While I'm a big fan of metroidvanias, the art style and heavy focus on complex combat didn't attract me that much. But I ended up playing 20+ hours of it, until the end, and had a lot of fun.