It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Yeah, size matters sometimes. Whether you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, or for something you'll actually finish this time – it's good to know what you're getting into before choosing your next game. With the week's RPG sale now at full-mast, we approached the editors at RPGsite.net for their take on the highlights, and just how much time you'll need to experience what these games have to offer.
And this is it!

RPG Site's favorites, by playtime

Our friends over at GOG are having a nice sale this weekend on some pretty cool PC-based RPGs. Now, we know. 2017 has been good, and you've likely got frightful backlogs. Maybe you don't have the time to play all of these - RPGs are enormous games, and some of you are no doubt busy reaching the 100-hour mark in Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild - or maybe you're still at it in Skyrim thanks to last year's Special Edition.
But still - who doesn't like expanding their backlog some? GOG's latest sale is the ideal way to do that, and it's one tailor-made for our RPG-loving audience, especially those into Western RPGs already. For the JRPG fans, these cheap offers might be the perfect time to give some of the most traditional WRPGs a try.
We've taken out the time to pick out some of the best deals from this sale here - and we've also included an average play-time for each game so that you can know exactly what you're getting into before you take the plunge. Fire up the backlog...

Divinity: Original Sin (60% off)
Playtime: ~60 Hours
The longest title of our highlights is also one of our favorites of the bunch. Well, actually it is probably just our favorite, period. Divinity: Original Sin was our 2014 game of the year. Featuring an incredibly engaging turn based combat system, a stellar soundtrack by the late Kirill Pokrovsky, and a huge world-saving quest, we definitely suggest that anyone with the time and interest give Original Sin a spin.
Deep systems for crafting, exploration, combat, and party-building, the game is feature rich in every way. At the same time, the game differs from some of its contemporaries by injecting a bit of whimsy into the game in a way that only Larian can - early in the game you will teleport into someone's bathroom, and you'll converse with a dog to try to solve the mystery of his owner's murder. The game is even better with a friend: you can play it completely in on-line cooperative mode. We are especially excited for the sequel releasing in full later this year!

Pillars of Eternity (60% off)
Playtime: ~40 Hours</a></a>
We've talked a lot about Pillars of Eternity . We think it's pretty good, great even! There's some new zeitgeist around Obsidian's kickstarter darling again as the game is set for a console release next month with Deadfire releasing at some point early next year. With their penchant for strong writing and one-of-a-kind characterization, Pillars of Eternity is definitely a title for someone looking to get lost inside a mammoth rpg world unlike most others.
It is one of the longer games on this list, but we still suggest it for those that are looking for a little more narrative depth but with the mechanical complexity of a deep and fully featured RPG experience. Featuring up to six party members and made even more expansive by the White March add-on content, this is probably the most traditional experience here, though at a level of quality where we'd suggest checking it out any day.

Torment: Tides of Numenera (30% off)
Playtime: ~30 Hours
Potentially buried in early 2017's onslaught of game releases, we want to make sure people who have overlooked Torment: Tides of Numenera give it a try. The game launched with some significant issues: encounters weren't as fun to play as in some other titles in the genre and performance limitations hampered enjoyment for many. However, as of patch 1.10 a lot of adjustments have been made to shorten combat encounters and improve UI bugs.
Story and writing are the focus of this title, with long gameplay sections void of any sort of combat or engagements: you can even play the game as a complete pacifist. Tides of Numenera is a game that allows you to die however often you want, hold the memories of other people inside your head, and even change someone's past by altering their memory - it gets pretty weird. It's a lot of reading, but if it's also probably the most unique title of the bunch.

Tyranny (60% off)
Playtime: ~20 Hours
Tyranny is the shortest game on this list and likely the most experimental. For those wanting to try something off of the beaten path, it's probably the title we'd suggest for you. Tyranny is a game completely about choice and consequence. Sure, that phrase is thrown around a lot across several rpgs, but Tyranny exemplifies the ideals in the strongest ways.
While a single playthrough of the title is far shorter than a game like Pillars or Original Sin, the amount of variation in the way the narrative can unfold is remarkable, which encourages multiple playthroughs to see how decisions made early in the game can change your allies, your enemies, and even your party members. However, even a single playthrough can highlight the sort of fallout that every decision can result in. Bastard's Wound releases soon as well, so we're personally excited to revisit the Tiers at some point later this year.
Post edited July 24, 2017 by Konrad
high rated
I'm having a blast playing my GOG copy of Skyri-Oh wait, I'm not ಠ_ಠ.
These guys must be speed runners if they finish D:OS in 60 hours, I've probably spent a little more than and was still at half way through.

Been thinking about starting PST these days, it's the only D&D game I spent the longest time on.
The tyranny discount is missing in its headline.
Edit: And fixed.
Ganni1987: These guys must be speed runners if they finish D:OS in 60 hours, I've probably spent a little more than and was still at half way through.

Been thinking about starting PST these days, it's the only D&D game I spent the longest time on.
Well, if I had the time I´d be playing the remaster right now...
...looked very, very well-done, espacially in comparision with the other ones Beamdog did!
Post edited July 22, 2017 by RadonGOG
Thank you for this. Even though I think the vast majority of veteran cRPG aficionados will likely shrug at this, it's a good brief guide and companion to those of us more "casual" who are trying to get into cRPGs but don't particularly know where to start, or tried some of the classics and found them to be not as great as people kept telling us they were, for a multitude of reasons.

For instance, even though I heard *a lot* of complaints about Tyranny from cRPG purists who wouldn't recommend it for the life of them, according to this article, I think it's probably a great place to start, if you're trying to get into the genre. To me, obviously.

I hope this thread helps people decide what to play, if they haven't played any of these games before. I think it's a pretty impartial and objective guide, overall, free from most of the melodrama associated with user reviews and recommendations of these games. Worth a look.
groze: Thank you for this. Even though I think the vast majority of veteran cRPG aficionados will likely shrug at this, it's a good brief guide and companion to those of us more "casual" who are trying to get into cRPGs but don't particularly know where to start, or tried some of the classics and found them to be not as great as people kept telling us they were, for a multitude of reasons.

For instance, even though I heard *a lot* of complaints about Tyranny from cRPG purists who wouldn't recommend it for the life of them, according to this article, I think it's probably a great place to start, if you're trying to get into the genre. To me, obviously.

I hope this thread helps people decide what to play, if they haven't played any of these games before. I think it's a pretty impartial and objective guide, overall, free from most of the melodrama associated with user reviews and recommendations of these games. Worth a look.
If someone doesn't enjoy the classic cRPGs I don't think they're too likely to enjoy the genre on the overall.
The_Gypsy: If someone doesn't enjoy the classic cRPGs I don't think they're too likely to enjoy the genre on the overall.
That may be true, but there are things the recent cRPGs give that the classic ones didn't, be it graphic overhauls, different art styles, revised gameplay mechanics, a more fluid look and feel, streamlining of the absurd complexity and, admittedly, a lot of stuff that downright annoys elitist purists, like health regeneration or -- GASP! -- full health on level up (which, by the way, could already be turned on at least in the original version of Icewind Dale).

Granted, enjoying one or two of these games doesn't necessarily mean people will get into the cRPG genre, overall, but it's still nice to have a somewhat impartial review of these games, so that people not that much "in the know" can pick at least one game they think they might like and, who knows?, they might want to try other cRPGs afterwards.

I gave up getting into cRPGs a long time ago, to be honest, and have been avoiding them ever since. I know Divinity: Original Sin is definitely not for me; I avoid turn-based combat like the plague, and Larian's brand of referential, nerdy, pseudo-Monty Python-esque humor just comes across as cringe-inducing, to me, so I'm never picking that one up. If that makes me a "casual" who'll never get into cRPGs as a whole, so be it, but this article made me at least aware I might end up enjoying Tyranny (or even Tides of Numenera, on which I've had my eyes on since release, being a huge Planescape: Torment fan, despite the fact they changed the combat from RTwP to turn-based).

I highly dislike self-entitled elitist people and communities, and most of the cRPG crowd tends to be just like that. They're not very welcoming of new people if these folks have a slightly different opinion of the games they love, or if they don't start playing the games the exact same way they're being told to play them. It also doesn't help that you kind of have to do a lot of tedious research into "builds" and "parties" and "what stats work and what stats don't" before you even get to play the games, especially the classics. Articles like these at least sound welcoming, telling people that if they don't want to (or can't) invest a lot of time into a video game, there are things out there for them, as well, in a genre they might want to try out. Plus, these small reviews give a relatively impartial gist (if you ignore minor stuff like "D:OS was our 20XX game of the year") of the games being presented, instead of the usual belittling by the cRPG community, that downright bullies you if you play any of these games that they universally find "inferior" for whatever petty reasons.

Still, I do agree with you; there's no causation or even correlation between liking a few of these titles and suddenly getting into the cRPG genre overall. But it's still nice to have something like this here, I think.
Still don't like this whole wRPG monkey that seems to have crept in over the last few months, will start calling jRPGs aRPGs, i.e. Chuck all Asian games n one moniker. Just rubbish.
groze: Snip.
I don't think any reasonable person complains with better graphics so long as performance isn't worse than it should be.

Any examples of what you mean with fluidity or high complexity? It's not like any of these are a 4X.

CRPGs tend to be aiming at emulating the P&P experience with some conveniences attached like the game does the heavy lifting. For example, the game handles all the rolling and lets you level up immediately (it doesn't work like that with core AD&D rules). Health on level is more of an action RPG thing and it has little place in a CRPG.

One can always reference original reviews in magazines, all the classics came out at a time when journalism still happened with games and reviews had real scoring scales.

If humor isn't your thing it is what it is.

It's a hobby like any other. You have the people who are very into it, the middle, and those who aren't whether they've realized it yet or not. I won't shoo people away from my hobbies but if someone can't understand the basic reasons for why the more serious sorts (myself included) don't like certain things it's probably not a hobby for them.

There's no need to know exact builds for these games, those are a convenience.

Any examples on the belittling/inferiority thing? I find that how a community takes things typically depends on how it's presented. Sometimes it doesn't matter but I like to think that the CRPG community tends to be a heck of a lot more rational and willing to accept someone's criticisms than the JRPG community, for example..
So it wasn't a sincere question. I should've realized that sooner given what you said right after asking it.
Post edited July 23, 2017 by megavolt67
The_Gypsy: I'm having a blast playing my GOG copy of Skyri-Oh wait, I'm not ಠ_ಠ.
But we do have the entire TES/FO series, save for skyrim and FO4...So there's that! Wait for a year or so, it should eventually make its way over here!
takezodunmer2005: But we do have the entire TES/FO series, save for skyrim and FO4...So there's that! Wait for a year or so, it should eventually make its way over here!
I hope so. I'd be surprised if FO4 made it so soon though.
takezodunmer2005: But we do have the entire TES/FO series, save for skyrim and FO4...So there's that! Wait for a year or so, it should eventually make its way over here!
The_Gypsy: I hope so. I'd be surprised if FO4 made it so soon though.
Fallout 4 was my first contact the Fallout franchise...

I fell in love with that game when the free weekend on Steam I purchase it and I can not stop...
So far I have 272 hours and I am not even close to finish it.
I believe there are two topics running alongside each other here. One is about getting JRPG fans interested in CRPGs and the other is about the modernizing of current CRPGs in comparison to classic ones. I've heard a lot of complaining about the latter, mostly in the form of claims about "dumbing down" or "consolizing" western RPGs. I do have some sympathy for that position, but at the same time, I think it's possible to retain the sort of depth that makes the genre enjoyable without forcing players to endure some of the more tedious micromanagement or otherwise odd aspects of the older games. More recently, I find it surprising that anyone actually likes something like weapon degradation. The opening post mentions Breath of the Wild, and ironically enough that game reintroduces what I think is an outdated and unnecessary element in that your weapons deteriorate with use and ultimately break (and way too fast at that). I'm a big fan of the FPS/RPG hybrid System Shock 2 but the weapon degradation has nothing to do with the reasons for that. It's supposed to make things more strategic but it really just wastes your time. Getting rid of stuff like that, is, I think, a good thing.

As for JRPG fans getting into CRPGs or western RPGs in general, I have some insight there as someone who started with JRPGs back in the early 90's. I think a good way to get into western RPGs is simply to look for the ones that have an interesting setting and/or plot and give them a shot. I was able to get into Planescape: Torment many years ago because of how unique the setting was. I was also able to get into Fallout for the same reason (although I actually like everything about Fallout). And Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. I think that as one gets more comfortable with the overall CRPG style you can retry some of the highly regarded ones that you couldn't get into before (for me that was the BG games), but it has to be on your inclination. Otherwise it can be frustrating to fail to get into something that people keep telling you is the best thing ever.
Post edited July 23, 2017 by megavolt67
The_Gypsy: I hope so. I'd be surprised if FO4 made it so soon though.
Digital_CHE: Fallout 4 was my first contact the Fallout franchise...

I fell in love with that game when the free weekend on Steam I purchase it and I can not stop...
So far I have 272 hours and I am not even close to finish it.
Yep, Beth games does that to ya! You should give the rest of the series a go! New Vegas is epic, truly, truly epic! And it's DRM-Free! Ironic that it was Bethesda's first steam game unfortunately, but I'm glad it's home!