It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
sjgm_: You can hide almost anything. Stating that GOG is now a threat to privacy is nonsense, when you are using browsers, OS, apps and multiple services that pose a real threat to you privacy. Come on really, addressing GOG with this is almost bullying.
PixelBoy: "Almost" anything is not good enough. You should be able to use online services completely privately, if you choose to do so.

As far as your examples go, firstly, two wrongs don't make a right. If there are some things that violate privacy elsewhere, that doesn't justify anyone else to do the same.

And let's break your examples down, one by one.

Browsers:
- You can choose from several alternatives, customize most of them, and use incognito browsing modes to protect your privacy. You can also run those browsers through software and hardware firewalls, as well as change your IP with VPN services. So not a good example.

- You are correct that some OS's really are intrusive and force users to do this or that. But, you can also take an open source OS, like Linux, modify and compile it to your needs and liking, and the threat to privacy is very minimal. Even OS's like Windows 10 can be used relatively safely, especially if you don't connect your computer to Internet after the first activation. There are options available, so not a good example.

Apps:
- No one is forced to use apps. You can use a 15 years old phone to make calls if you want to. If you indeed use a smart phone, each and every app is asking permissions to do this or that. If you don't want an app to access your contact information or use location based services, disallow those features for that app. Also, choosing an Android phone instead of an iPhone already increases your privacy by leaps. So not a really good example either.

"Multiple services":
- Without an example that's quite a broad statement. But no one is forced to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other such thing. So while those have privacy issues, as was recently scandalously the case with Facebook, simply choosing not to use those services takes care of that. As for services like banking and payments, you can choose to use virtual credit cards and such, which offer protection against privacy threats and theft. If you are afraid of using travel cards as someone can track your life and movement, use cash. The only real problem is governmental services, they are what they are, and one can't completely stay out of them. But at least for commercial services, most of the time you can stay as private as you want to.
i also agree on all things said: you can protect on many things.... i always use incognito except when i buy games cause i dont know if the online pay services ( for prepaid) need cookies in order to make a succesfull transaction
and i dont want to send cash and not get any goods :D

Browsers:
- You can choose from several alternatives, customize most of them, and use incognito browsing modes to protect your privacy. You can also run those browsers through software and hardware firewalls, as well as change your IP with VPN services. So not a good example.

- You are correct that some OS's really are intrusive and force users to do this or that. But, you can also take an open source OS, like Linux, modify and compile it to your needs and liking, and the threat to privacy is very minimal. Even OS's like Windows 10 can be used relatively safely, especially if you don't connect your computer to Internet after the first activation. There are options available, so not a good example.

Apps:
- No one is forced to use apps. You can use a 15 years old phone to make calls if you want to. If you indeed use a smart phone, each and every app is asking permissions to do this or that. If you don't want an app to access your contact information or use location based services, disallow those features for that app. Also, choosing an Android phone instead of an iPhone already increases your privacy by leaps. So not a really good example either.

"Multiple services":
- Without an example that's quite a broad statement. But no one is forced to use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other such thing. So while those have privacy issues, as was recently scandalously the case with Facebook, simply choosing not to use those services takes care of that. As for services like banking and payments, you can choose to use virtual credit cards and such, which offer protection against privacy threats and theft. If you are afraid of using travel cards as someone can track your life and movement, use cash. The only real problem is governmental services, they are what they are, and one can't completely stay out of them. But at least for commercial services, most of the time you can stay as private as you want to.
As for kids only? adults are even worse, it is proven that adults and the ones with the high degrees and IQ are among the majority, there was the metoo thing a while ago and they also said that not only the low grade but many times the socalled top class was guilty of some nasty things.

Anyway ... people will used that info indeed to - vote posts and reply with a line like: you are complaining but you still bought x number of games on ??? date .

I myself will never do that, no down voting for me because if you dont like some posts you dont have to - vote just let them be, if you do think posts are good you can choose to vote up but - bvoting just because others did is childish.
mk47at: i agree with most things, but this one. Why would choosing something made by the world's biggest data miner increase your privacy?
PixelBoy: Because it's still better than something made by the world's biggest DRM company.
You are mixing up control and privacy there. The fact that android may allow you more flexibility does not mean they are more private. In fact, I would not assume that the invasiveness of either company is any better or worse than the other. Whilst DRM is indeed bad in terms of control, the fact that apple controls all of it rather than being wide open like android, possible evens aids in privacy as its harder to hack, or create apps which leak or steal your data. Each app has to go through apple store.

Don't get me wrong, both companies are balls out, blatently scraping every bit of data they can get their grubby paws on. In fact I can't even imagine in this day and age anything remotely electronic not grasping every bit of information. All I am saying is that drm has very little impact on that.
Galamid: Exquisite!

But yeah, I got your point.
Can't always use HuniePop as an example... ;-)
mk47at: i agree with most things, but this one. Why would choosing something made by the world's biggest data miner increase your privacy?
You can put custom ROMs on an Android phone and choose not to use Google's apps on it.
As far as I know, this isn't the case for the iPhone.
high rated
Matruchus: ...
toxicTom: Yeah in the past my friends could see what I'm playing...

Now random person A can visit the (public) profile of person B who is friends with me, and see that I (private profile) am currently playing Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude...
I know. They just destroyed, every and all privacy settings with that.
high rated
Great marketing coup, GOG! I just cleared out my wish list. No sense having it if I don't intend to ever buy from you again. Do enjoy my publicly visible game count. It just became a constant. I'd rather encourage DRM than deal with a company that violates its customers' trust.
high rated
Tauto: ... To be honest with you,your anger is wasted as I believe nothing will change.Galaxy is here to stay and soon to take command of Gog and everything else ...
I think that's too pessimistic. My experience is that such companies do row back if customer angryness reaches a certain level. Actually that's about the only way to make them rethink anything.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Trilarion
nightcraw1er.488: Awww, you have no friends. Your going to get no likes at all.
tinyE: EVERYONE IS MY FRIEND!

Having a friends list always felt kind of stuck up to me. Now with this stupid thing I have an excuse to get rid of it. Everyone is welcome, no invite or special designation required.

Well, wait, not that guy. Or that guy over there. Or that guy.
My god, who let all of this riffraff into the room!?

There' s one smoking a joint! And another with spots!

On second, thought, if I had my way, I'd have all of you shot!
LOL! Your profile alone made this whole thing worth it.

Also what's next, GOG? Trading cards?
low rated
Tauto: ... To be honest with you,your anger is wasted as I believe nothing will change.Galaxy is here to stay and soon to take command of Gog and everything else ...
Trilarion: I think that's too pessimistic. My experience is that such companies do row back if customer angryness reaches a certain level. Actually that's about the only way to make them rethink anything.
Okay,we shall see.Protests don't always work.
sjgm_: ... You can hide almost anything. Stating that GOG is now a threat to privacy is nonsense, when you are using browsers, OS, apps and multiple services that pose a real threat to you privacy. Come on really, addressing GOG with this is almost bullying.
If you can hide almost anything why not hiding really everything? The effort needed for that should not be very high.

Also you don't know how and if the people here use their browsers, OS, apps and multiple services. Maybe many users here are also more cautious outside of GOG. Finally, even it were kind of overreacting, wouldn't it be the right of the customer to do that?

Tauto: ... Okay,we shall see.Protests don't always work.
True. I'll check back in a week for a possible reaction of GOG.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Trilarion
low rated
deleted
PixelBoy: Because it's still better than something made by the world's biggest DRM company.
nightcraw1er.488: You are mixing up control and privacy there. The fact that android may allow you more flexibility does not mean they are more private. In fact, I would not assume that the invasiveness of either company is any better or worse than the other. Whilst DRM is indeed bad in terms of control, the fact that apple controls all of it rather than being wide open like android, possible evens aids in privacy as its harder to hack, or create apps which leak or steal your data. Each app has to go through apple store.
This is getting off-topic, but you just said it yourself: "Each app has to go through apple store."

That is a form of DRM which also causes issues of privacy, as the store can track each and every app you have ever installed. Hacked, cracked, and rooted phones being an exception.

Also, whether you use for instance Google search on Android or iPhone probably makes very little difference on how much data gets tracked to Google. What is different, is that iPhone prevents installing alternative, more secure browsers, which aren't available in the store.
high rated
sjgm_: You can hide almost anything. Stating that GOG is now a threat to privacy is nonsense, when you are using browsers, OS, apps and multiple services that pose a real threat to you privacy. Come on really, addressing GOG with this is almost bullying.
But you cannot hide everything, which is the bone of contention. A roof is either watertight, or it leaks. That most of it holds off water isn't really the hallmark of a great roof, and necessitates repairs. Again: The status quo, at least for citizens of the EU, is that any business has to treat your data as carefully as possible. That means that they may only even collect data that directly pertains to the business relationship between them and their customers. The data that is collected then needs to be handled with care, i.e. it may only be shared with third parties as is necessary in that business relationship - and the people whose data it is, they need to be informed about it (edit: I still haven't got a notification from GOG about the profile feature, I only know about it because it was discussed on third-party sites). If you want to use that data in any capacity that goes over that, you need provable consent from the party that's affected, and you cannot just get blanket consent either - it has to be specific for each data point, and how you want to share it.
That means that just having such data public (and the size of your library and your play time can considered to be such data) with no way to hide it for the customer is a violation of the GDPR - which is the legislation that governs all that stuff.

It does not matter if we as random forum shlubs can see it as immediate threat to privacy; As the CA scandal showed a while back: With meta data being what it is, any data that is made public is too much data. The EU recognized that, which is why they introduced the GDPR in the first place: We have a right that our data is protected, period.

Then: The argument that "Hey, you use something else that also violates your privacy" isn't sound. On the one hand, just because one company violates your rights doesn't mean you have to accept every company violating your rights.
On the other hand, some of us do value our privacy more than just chewing out GOG for not living up to our standards: Not everyone uses Instagram, FB, Whatsapp, Twitter, a browser without noscript, a smartphone and so on. Hell, I only actively started buying on GOG when they introduced the wallet function, because it lets me pay GOG without them getting any financial information from me (I use an anonymized pre-paid credit card that you can buy with actual paper money).

Lastly: Informing a company that their business practices currently is losing them active customers is not bullying, it is a courtesy: We tell them exactly why we stop giving them our business and what they have to do to regain it, which isn't some eldritch ritual either, but a mere compliance with their own principle of treating a customer as a customer, and complying with actual law. Can't ask fairer than that, I think.

---
@toxicTom: Thanks for the kind words, though I am afraid I do have a cantankerous streak (as this very response probably showcases). Depending on how and if GOG reacts, maybe I'll mull participating outside of this thread over.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Mueslinator
high rated
GOG.com: So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
I am here for the games, the video games that is, not your social achievements feeds thingies.
high rated
Banjo_oz: Set everything I could to "me only" but I can't see a way to turn off showing if I am "online" or not! This is a massive annoyance of mine for even lots of web forums, etc. already. Is there seriously no way yet to hide when we are online or visiting GOG from being totally public?!?!
Gersen: That part is not new and is not related to profiles, the information of whenever you are online or not has been there since years.
I suspected that, but I think the reason I just noticed now is that it it shown so prominently in the new Profile page, that everyone can easily access. To be honest, I rarely post here publicly so I'd not really noticed, but I am more concerned about it now due to the profile addition than I was before.

That said, I absolutely hate when sites don't let you opt out of "show when I'm online".

It's bad enough with Messenger type apps which are at least designed for communication, but on an e-commerce game store website? Why should everyone who shops where you do know when you're online or not?! Friends (real ones), maybe at a push (but only if I choose that), but who else needs to know and why?

Still, at least not as bad as social media that shows your "friends" where you are physically for some unfathomable reason ("Oh look, Fred is in the pub down the road! Didn't he say he was working tonight?") or matches your face in everybody's photos like some Orwellian nightmare that some folks actually seem to think is somehow a good thing.

Breja: The storm in here is being noticed outside, while GOG continues to ignore the situation.

Edit: also here, with a link to this very thread.
LOL! I'm internet famous for a second! Notably, I'm quoted being "wrong", however, since it turns out that online status was always shown and not a new profiles thing, right? I don't mind, and stand by not being able to toggle that as a violation of my privacy, and if quoting that helps make more people stand up to such a practice on any website that forcibly shows when you are online, so much the better... but that site maybe should have checked before using a random poster on the internet as a source? :)
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Banjo_oz