It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

We Happy Few, the stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, 15% off until August 13th, 7:00am UTC.

Did you take your happiness pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular doses, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.
You are not seeing any of that, are you? Because if so, you better run, hide, or quickly take your Joy with a nice cup of tea.
Fast.
Before we find you and feed it to you.

Note: Owners of the In Development version do not need to purchase the game again.
No Man's Sky 2
Enjoy
I'm glad not as much people buying in to the hype - https://steamcharts.com/app/320240
Post edited August 16, 2018 by AlienMind
AlienMind: No Man's Sky 2
Enjoy
I'm glad not as much people buying in to the hype - https://steamcharts.com/app/320240
I'm not going to apologize for Hello Games, I'm not taking their side by any means, but, in all fairness? I was actually pleased with No Man's Sky on release, to tell you the truth. Then again, I didn't spend much time looking stuff up about the game, so I missed all the over-promising Sean Murray made. Having said this, despite the fact that I actually liked No Man's Sky when it released, was it worth $60? Oh, god, no. No, it wasn't. $40, at best. And it doesn't really matter that they have been vastly improving the game with every subsequent patch (which they have, to the point this latest patch actually turned it into an amazing game, very close to the high expectations so many people had), it was a disastrous launch and the harm has been done. And I'm not taking their side by any stretch of the imagination.

But do you know what? No Man's Sky and Hello Games toyed with expectations, there was no money involved, except corporate Sony money. We Happy Few had Kickstarter backing and Early Access (or GOG's InDev), so it's not just a matter of "getting people's hopes unrealistically high", there was money involved, money from fans and people who bought into their crap (some would say "their ambition, their vision", I say crap. Definitely crap). Sadly, most of those people seem to have been fed the Compulsion "Joy", and are now white knighting the game, maybe in an attempt to convince themselves that they took part in something good, and that the studio didn't scam them. I'm very happy with No Man's Sky, but I'm not blinding myself and telling others that it's the best game ever, or that it most definitely is worth $60. It's not. But most We Happy Few staunch defenders claim this. That we're being unfair, that the game is actually amazing, that adding all those fetch quests padding up a 5 hour (tops) story is worth $60 (plus $30 DLC that at this point is yet another vague concept promise they're trying to get their fans to buy).

So, I wouldn't call this No Man's Sky 2. This is actually much worse than No Man's Sky, despite the obvious similarities. These guys outright LIED to their backers TWICE, when they changed the concept of the game -- to the point that not even they can say what genre it's trying to be (they called it an action-adventure in the reddit AMA, but if it's an action-adventure, why keep the dated survival-crafting mechanics?). And those people were their investors, their backers. No Man's Sky just... over-promised, it overshot, but they wronged no backers, no "regular Joe", other than those poor people who bought into the hype and pre-ordered the game (even though EVERY digital PC video game store that sells it allowed for refunds after its release).
groze: Also: for someone who seems to be so pro-innovation, you sure are biased against walking sims, which are some of the most ambitious games in recent memory. Not in terms of gameplay, I agree, but they're some of the most artistic, philosophical, psychological and literary experiences video games have ever given us. I, for one, welcome MORE walking sims on both GOG and the video game market as a whole. Let indie studios make their walking sims, customers will get to decide which ones are good or bad. Either way, no walking sim will ever sell for AAA price + DLC, and all that Compulsion added to We Happy Few was just that, buddy: more walking sim parts hidden beneath awful mechanics that Pathologic, The Long Dark, Dying Light, Dishonored, Thief, F.E.A.R., Hitman, etc all did way better, years and years before.
Just to clarify my position a bit, I am only "pro-innovation" in certain senses. In this case, I am in favor of indie games trying to be epic in scope rather than small arcade-like experiences. That doesn't mean I don't value the latter. As one of many examples, Enter the Gungeon still might be my most-played game this year (can't say for certain, because I refuse to use the wonderful innovations of the Diet-Scheme client). The reason I am insistent in wanting the "epic in scope" indie games is because I see a dearth of them. Also, contrary to all the vitriol being lobbed at the WHF devs, I feel as a general rule the "epic in scope" indie games are much more difficult to make than small-scale ones (this is not to say the small-scale ones don't often have more love poured into them, that's a separate topic). Since the "epic in scope" games do take more effort in general, I feel that the opposite push to have a lot of small-scale indie games runs a large risk of flooding the market with developer laziness and a large quantity of games that, even if technically sound, are not mammoth experiences for us to consume.

All that said, I heartily recommend Pathologic to any gamer. WHF is very cool to me and I like its elements, but Pathologic is imo a must-own game.

Zeyes: If "at least they tried hard" regardless of actual result is worth $60 to you that's your prerogative, of course.
It isn't so much that they "tried hard" in itself; it's that they tried to provide a bigger-scale experience than the typical indie. They are getting raked over the coals for it. People will rail against games like this, they will rail against trying to wishlist games from last gen ('it's EA, no WAY it comes here'..yeah not with that attitude; 'anyone who wants it can get it on steam'...yeah, not DRM-free though so it may as well not exist). I can easily see a future where the only new releases look like the frontpage of that itch site. What alarms me is that this doesn't seem to bother some of you folks and that, if anything, you might even be welcoming of it.
Post edited August 17, 2018 by rjbuffchix
groze: Also: for someone who seems to be so pro-innovation, you sure are biased against walking sims, which are some of the most ambitious games in recent memory. Not in terms of gameplay, I agree, but they're some of the most artistic, philosophical, psychological and literary experiences video games have ever given us. I, for one, welcome MORE walking sims on both GOG and the video game market as a whole. Let indie studios make their walking sims, customers will get to decide which ones are good or bad. Either way, no walking sim will ever sell for AAA price + DLC, and all that Compulsion added to We Happy Few was just that, buddy: more walking sim parts hidden beneath awful mechanics that Pathologic, The Long Dark, Dying Light, Dishonored, Thief, F.E.A.R., Hitman, etc all did way better, years and years before.
rjbuffchix: Just to clarify my position a bit, I am only "pro-innovation" in certain senses. In this case, I am in favor of indie games trying to be epic in scope rather than small arcade-like experiences. That doesn't mean I don't value the latter. As one of many examples, Enter the Gungeon still might be my most-played game this year (can't say for certain, because I refuse to use the wonderful innovations of the Diet-Scheme client). The reason I am insistent in wanting the "epic in scope" indie games is because I see a dearth of them. Also, contrary to all the vitriol being lobbed at the WHF devs, I feel as a general rule the "epic in scope" indie games are much more difficult to make than small-scale ones (this is not to say the small-scale ones don't often have more love poured into them, that's a separate topic). Since the "epic in scope" games do take more effort in general, I feel that the opposite push to have a lot of small-scale indie games runs a large risk of flooding the market with developer laziness and a large quantity of games that, even if technically sound, are not mammoth experiences for us to consume.

All that said, I heartily recommend Pathologic to any gamer. WHF is very cool to me and I like its elements, but Pathologic is imo a must-own game.
Understood. Still, despite praising Compulsion's intended scope (I don't think 5-6 hours of story content padded by boring fetch quests while dealing with a barren world, outdated survival mechanics, middle-of-the-road stealth and combat and broken NPC AI is that epic a scope, but maybe that's just me), I think it's fair to agree some of the complaints are more than justified, if only to bring this to the general attention of the public, in hopes that more studios don't pull stuff like this. Because, like you keep calling it, yourself, this is an indie studio, making an indie game. Owlboy has a much bigger scope, story-wise, than We Happy Few (it's just not made unnecessarily longer by adding fetch quests and boring survival mechanics), but D-Pad knows their game is an indie title, and they don't sell it for the price of a AAA game. If Compulsion were selling their game for, say, $40, I bet they wouldn't be getting this backlash. People might still think the price was a bit too steep for what's being offered -- especially with all the performance issues and bugs --, but it really seems like a more appropriate price for what you're actually getting.

Zeyes: If "at least they tried hard" regardless of actual result is worth $60 to you that's your prerogative, of course.
rjbuffchix: It isn't so much that they "tried hard" in itself; it's that they tried to provide a bigger-scale experience than the typical indie. They are getting raked over the coals for it. People will rail against games like this, they will rail against trying to wishlist games from last gen ('it's EA, no WAY it comes here'..yeah not with that attitude; 'anyone who wants it can get it on steam'...yeah, not DRM-free though so it may as well not exist). I can easily see a future where the only new releases look like the frontpage of that itch site. What alarms me is that this doesn't seem to bother some of you folks and that, if anything, you might even be welcoming of it.
They TRIED to provide a bigger scale experience. But they failed. Again, you seem to be focusing on what they promised, instead of what they actually delivered. Even if you're absolutely satisfied with what they made, you can't genuinely believe it's worth sixty bucks (plus $30 for upcoming DLC), right?! Have you ever played Simon the Sorcerer 3D? The world of We Happy Few feels like that, except it's procedurally generated. It's mostly unpopulated, with nothing to do or see, and you'll have to go through miles of it just to go get something and then back to deliver it. The procedural generation is so badly implemented, in fact, that some quests are outright blocked, because a door you needed to lock pick was put in the world with the lock INSIDE the house, rendering the game unbeatable and progress past that point impossible (so, you reload a save, hoping the door will generate properly, or, if you're not in luck, start the game all over again). I understand that you're trying to bring a sensible approach and middle-ground, fair view to all of what you perceive as being unjustified vitriol. But, from where most of us stand, this isn't unjustified at all, it's an honest feeling of having been wronged and scammed by these people, who probably had the best of intentions, but... couldn't deliver. We have a saying, here in Portugal, that goes "de boas intenções está o inferno cheio" (literally "of good intentions is hell littered with"), and I think it applies to this case. They might have meant well, they might have believed in their game, but as soon as you put this steep a price tag on it, you'd better deliver what people expect from it, good intentions alone are not worth $60.
Post edited August 17, 2018 by groze
rjbuffchix: It isn't so much that they "tried hard" in itself; it's that they tried to provide a bigger-scale experience than the typical indie. They are getting raked over the coals for it. People will rail against games like this, they will rail against trying to wishlist games from last gen ('it's EA, no WAY it comes here'..yeah not with that attitude; 'anyone who wants it can get it on steam'...yeah, not DRM-free though so it may as well not exist). I can easily see a future where the only new releases look like the frontpage of that itch site. What alarms me is that this doesn't seem to bother some of you folks and that, if anything, you might even be welcoming of it.
What's happening is actually the opposite. Anyone who has been following GOG's development during the past few years will confirm that we're getting more "big" game releases than ever, and a larger quantity of new games in general. Meanwhile, little by little, GOG keeps dropping all the business principles and unique selling points which originally made it stand out from the competition. You might just get all those AA/AAA games you're craving for, but with GOG's current direction, a few years from now there won't be much of a difference between GOG, Steam and the rest of the competition.
groze: [snip]
Thank you for the response. I see where you are coming from as well and like you said it is an honest feeling. $20-40 had typically been the price range I am used to for "AA" gaming. I can't say I feel "scammed" because I found enough value myself, but I agree this game is priced higher than typical. I am a bit of an odd duck in that I look at the value to myself, rather than value in market terms. Compared to other AA or indie games, yes, WHF strikes as overpriced. My own valuing of GOG games is that they are all underpriced, if anything, given that this is the only place to own the games I want. Along these same lines, DRM-games have negative value to me. For example, I would *not* consider a $60 game on Steam that goes on sale for $0.01 to be even worth a penny!

CharlesGrey: What's happening is actually the opposite. Anyone who has been following GOG's development during the past few years will confirm that we're getting more "big" game releases than ever, and a larger quantity of new games in general. Meanwhile, little by little, GOG keeps dropping all the business principles and unique selling points which originally made it stand out from the competition. You might just get all those AA/AAA games you're craving for, but with GOG's current direction, a few years from now there won't be much of a difference between GOG, Steam and the rest of the competition.
For clarity's sake to any GOG staff reading then, I want AA/AAA games, but ONLY if they are DRM-free. No DRM, no client, no BS...just like it says :) As I've also said many times, if it weren't for GOG, I would not be gaming in this day and age. If GOG ever became just another DRM-store, though, I would say no more purchases. That would actually be very crushing to me if GOG adopted DRM. I can live with flip-flopping on regional pricing or profile debacles with Facebook as a trusted partner (lol), but DRM-free is the true heart of this place.
AlienMind: No Man's Sky 2
Enjoy
They wish; they do have to prove that by releasing massive update after massive update without charging extra (or pointing to seasons passes) first before being allowed in the same ballpark as NMS.
rjbuffchix: My own valuing of GOG games is that they are all underpriced, if anything, given that this is the only place to own the games I want. Along these same lines, DRM-games have negative value to me. For example, I would *not* consider a $60 game on Steam that goes on sale for $0.01 to be even worth a penny!
Don't give them funny ideas, now.

( And frankly, they are already priced much higher than the average Steam game. When was the last time you bought a dozen fairly new GOG games for a few bucks, as part of a bundle? Seems like client-bound games are more often offered as freebies, too. )