It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking with Steam not working on Windows XP come 2019, this could be a good bargaining chip for GOG to get some of the older XP era games onto their catalogue? Maybe publishers that were hesitant before can see that there is some money to be made and sign up with GOG?
I'm pretty sure Galaxy is not supported on Windows XP either.
I wonder if the new steam.api could break compability with the drm-free installers of games that actually worked on xp before for those that include them on gog.

Even though some games that are on gog only supported from windows 7 on it still works on xp if they would previously work on xp. But yeah supported doesn't mean it doesn't work it only means you will not get support from gog.
Also think that fallout 3 got broken win xp compability but somewhere there was a patch for it to make it work again though not sure.

Well due to the drm-free installers on gog, there could be made some money here, now that steam will stop working on xp.
Don't know how many are xp users on the net. But if some safety protocols will stop you from buying games here, then it will be time to move to a different os.
For me paysafecard still works and i can buy games here.
So it's difficult to find exact statistics on how many people are still running Windows XP. By looking at log files garnered from browser meta data, you can see anywhere from 4% down to 0.5% in 2018, depending on the source of your information.

Using the same data, Linux meanwhile accounts for somewhere between 5% and 0.74% of web traffic, as always depending on what source you use. It isn't even unfair to imagine that people using different operating systems probably visit different web sites, so getting an accurate picture is pretty hard.

In any event, no matter which source you look at it appears as though the vast majority of people have moved on from XP; I'm not sure how much money there would be to make in selling to those users. In comparison, Linux's many distros are actively updated, yet support for Linux gaming lags woefully behind modern versions of Windows. If a developer isn't interested in courting Linux's similarly sized market share, they probably aren't interested in Windows XP users either.
Hasn't steam stopped working on XP since 2016 or something like that? That's when my old computer, which dualbooted in 7 and XP, finally broke down and I had to buy a new one. And I remember at that time, I had to use an old version of the steam client on XP. And every once in a while, the client would update, and stop working. So I deleted the new version and just extracted the old version from an archive to access my account. The only game I was still playing on STEAM at that time was Pinball FX2.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by MadalinStroe
MadalinStroe: Hasn't steam stopped working on XP since 2016 or something like that? That's when my old computer, which dualbooted in 7 and XP, finally broke down and I had to buy a new one. And I remember at that time, I had to use an old version of the steam client on XP. And every once in a while, the client would update, and stop working. So I deleted the new version and just extracted the old version from an archive to access my account. The only game I was still playing on STEAM at that time was Pinball FX2.
Steam still worked on windows xp but it didn't work fully. Steam will fully stop working for win xp users on 2019 january 1.
There was something with content servers unreacheble or something, but that was solvable by editing one file which i had more info here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/content_servers_unreachable_on_steam_cant_install_any_games

The only reason i needed steam this time was playing hybris pulse of ruin and since i beaten it i really don't use steam currently anymore. Maybe on a better pc with a different os i will use steam again.
Too bad uncles 2009 better pc which someone though was a smart idea to install win 10 the motherboard burned if that was true, updates happened and it was only slower and slower after each update until it was too slow.
So then i got another pc which sits on my table rather than on the floor which is only a rug. Wonder if i need to redesign my room before buying any new pcs since i am kinda afraid it will burn again.
XP is a completely dead OS. Only a very small handful of people still use it. And most people who would want to use it cannot do so, because most modern hardware and software are both designed not to be compatible with it.

So no, no way would catering to XP customers bring GOG more business. The number of people using XP in 2018 or 2019 is way too small & insignificant to make any difference to GOG's income.
Fonzer: So then i got another pc which sits on my table rather than on the floor which is only a rug. Wonder if i need to redesign my room before buying any new pcs since i am kinda afraid it will burn again.
As long as you don't block some air vents by placing the computer on the rug, you shouldn't need to worry about it. If your case has the PSU on the floor of the case, you might need to be careful not to block it.
GOG dropped support for Windows XP a while ago, so no.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by Grargar
InkPanther: I'm pretty sure Galaxy is not supported on Windows XP either.
True, but the offline installers all work on XP, which is great.
I can only hope that if the games I play on XP machine appear here they'd still work on the same thing. :/
InkPanther: I'm pretty sure Galaxy is not supported on Windows XP either.
And the store page doesn't work properly in Netscape Navigator!

But other than that: DRM-free games rule. If they worked on some archaic OS back when it wasn't archaic, they will still work on that OS now.
MadalinStroe: Hasn't steam stopped working on XP since 2016 or something like that? That's when my old computer, which dualbooted in 7 and XP, finally broke down and I had to buy a new one. And I remember at that time, I had to use an old version of the steam client on XP. And every once in a while, the client would update, and stop working. So I deleted the new version and just extracted the old version from an archive to access my account. The only game I was still playing on STEAM at that time was Pinball FX2.
That's probably when Steam started requiring SSE2. IIRC it was broken after Aug 2016 and then I think fixed again in 2017....then probably broken again but I haven't verified.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by DosFreak
Lifthrasil: And the store page doesn't work properly in Netscape Navigator!
Thank you capt obvious!
Windows XP is still around? Daaaaaaaaaaaamn... I know some of it's users don't like Vista, or 7, or 8, and 10... But to still keep on using an OS from 2001? I understand if you need for a very specific piece of software, but that only goes so far. Is like running a business with no telephone number or email. If it's not for business' reasons, then there is no excuse to being so obsolete. Get a Windows XP like distro, get a Mac (older models are not that expensive and are more supported than Windows XP), or just get Windows 7 (the lesser evil of the MS OSs of today). Gaming is too related to technology going forward, you can keep your old PC for the specific games that don't run well today, but you can't expect companies to keep supporting Windows XP (yes, even GOG... the idea is to make games work in current OSs, not support old ones).

Just my two cents.