It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I have recently read that GoG is all for DRM-Free games. Also meaning that if you were to buy certain games on Steam you could also activate them on this platform. You pay for what you get. This feature is currently very limited so I am curious about the future. As much as would like to support CD Projekt by buying it on GoG, I love to have my games in one place.

So if I were to buy Cyberpunk on Steam would I then be able to activate it on GoG Galaxy?
Post edited June 10, 2019 by CasperApR
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
CasperApR: I have recently read that GoG is all for DRM-Free games. Also meaning that if you were to buy certain games on Steam you could also activate them on this platform. You pay for what you get. This feature is currently very limited so I am curious about the future. As much as would like to support CD Projekt by buying it on GoG, I love to have my games in one place.

So if I were to buy Cyberpunk on Steam would I then be able to activate it on GoG Galaxy?
The feature is called GOG Connect. Not everything is whitelisted for it but they add batches of games once in a while.
CasperApR: I have recently read that GoG is all for DRM-Free games. Also meaning that if you were to buy certain games on Steam you could also activate them on this platform. You pay for what you get. This feature is currently very limited so I am curious about the future. As much as would like to support CD Projekt by buying it on GoG, I love to have my games in one place.

digitaldiatribe: The feature is called GOG Connect. Not everything is whitelisted for it but they add batches of games once in a while.
Yes, I know of this. Is it likely that Cyberpunk will be whitelisted?
high rated
CasperApR: As much as would like to support CD Projekt by buying it on GoG, I love to have my games in one place.

I think you are missing a point, like, really.

By buying on Steam and using GOG Connect, you DO NOT support GOG. In fact, you are an added expense if you actually use it, since data transfer costs money while they don't get anything for it.

If you don't care for having the game on GOG since as you said yourself you like having everything in one place (Steam), there is literally zero reason for you to care about Connect. It is strictly for players convenience. All it does for GOG is good will from consumers.
Isn't this connect thing a limited time thing, too? As in, there's a new batch every once in a while, but after the limited time period is over, you can't import these titles anymore...?

I'm no expert though, and I don't have steam. Just had the impression that's how it worked.
If, as you say, you want to support the devs, why not buy the game on GOG? 100% of sales then go to CD Projeckt Red. If you buy it on Steam you're giving some of your money to Steam.

You have to choose between convenience of Steam and supporting the devs.
low rated
CasperApR: As much as would like to support CD Projekt by buying it on GoG, I love to have my games in one place.

kikix12: I think you are missing a point, like, really.

By buying on Steam and using GOG Connect, you DO NOT support GOG. In fact, you are an added expense if you actually use it, since data transfer costs money while they don't get anything for it.

If you don't care for having the game on GOG since as you said yourself you like having everything in one place (Steam), there is literally zero reason for you to care about Connect. It is strictly for players convenience. All it does for GOG is good will from consumers.
I think you are the one who is missing the point. The point of gog connect is to move your library away from steam to gog so you will be more likely to stay on gog for your next purchases. If my library stays at steam i see no reason to move over to gog. Gog maybe cool and all but i am not a charity and i will do what is in my best interest. I bought witcher and cyberpunk over at steam and will do so with all cdpr releases untill i get full library support and am not forced to leave behind a big chunk of my games.
Aphex81: Gog maybe cool and all but i am not a charity
Guess what? GOG isn't a charity either. You do what is in your economic best interest and they do what is in theirs, that's how capitalism works.

For a game to be in Connect, it is not just GOG that needs to put it there. The dev/publisher is also "losing" a purchase by allowing it.

Connect is just a perk, a show of good will to customers to keep them here, not to attract new ones that have not bought anything from them. If you expect 100% of your Steam purchases to be on GOG Connect before "moving", quit now... it ain't happening.
let's think about it. You want Cyberpunk on GoG if you buy it on Steam? Cyberpunk is published on Epic, Steam and GoG from the beginning and you have to choose which one you want. GoG Connect is designed to allow you to add a game you already own on Steam to your GoG account (with the permission of the publisher), not to give you games that where available on both from the beginning. Why should they? Everyone who buys on GoG would be at a disadvantage over someone who bought it on Steam, because every steam user has it on Steam and GoG and GoG users only on GoG. CDPR could give you keys so you can play it on all 3 platforms, but in the end they would have to make the game more expansive, because the would have to pay the fee for Epic and Steam, even if the customer will only play on one platform.

You really want your complete Steam lib on GoG? Forget it. Steam is the by far larger platform. A lot of games on Steam are not available on GoG, because for example they are not DRM-free. You can't add games to gog which are not on gog. It is very simple: Steam > GOG => not everything from Steam can be migrated to GoG(+ economical reasons).

Aphex81: I think you are the one who is missing the point. The point of gog connect is to move your library away from steam to gog so you will be more likely to stay on gog for your next purchases. If my library stays at steam i see no reason to move over to gog. Gog maybe cool and all but i am not a charity and i will do what is in my best interest. I bought witcher and cyberpunk over at steam and will do so with all cdpr releases untill i get full library support and am not forced to leave behind a big chunk of my games.
Mate, just wait for GOG Galaxy 2.0 and all you problem may go away, and then you can buy you next games on GOG as your wish.
So here is the problem I face. Due to Covid 19, the currency in my home Country of South Africa has deteriorated significantly. This leads to the following situation:

Steam Price: R799
GOG Price: $52.99 (No regional Pricing)

Now at current exchange rate, $1=R16.88
So this means, price on GOG is R894.47
So that means I must spend R95.47 more if buying on GOG
That works out to $5.65 more just to support GOG ?
Why would one actually do that ?
I find it disappointing, as I already have all 3 Witcher Titles on GOG.
However GOG must come to the party with proper regional pricing.
Otherwise its just a fail. That $5.65 can buy a meal for 2, or a tasty steak for 1.
Wasting money is nobody's priority !
Post edited July 18, 2020 by steelsteed
steelsteed: So here is the problem I face. Due to Covid 19, the currency in my home Country of South Africa has deteriorated significantly. This leads to the following situation:

Steam Price: R799
GOG Price: $52.99 (No regional Pricing)

Now at current exchange rate, $1=R16.88
So this means, price on GOG is R894.47
So that means I must spend R95.47 more if buying on GOG
That works out to $5.65 more just to support GOG ?
Why would one actually do that ?
I find it disappointing, as I already have all 3 Witcher Titles on GOG.
However GOG must come to the party with proper regional pricing.
Otherwise its just a fail. That $5.65 can buy a meal for 2, or a tasty steak for 1.
Wasting money is nobody's priority !
GOG had a regional pricing/fair pricing policy, but they had to stop it.

It's also more than the $5.65 to support GOG as Steam also gets a 30% cut of a purchase.
So from the R799/$47.87, Steam would receive R239.7/$14.36 and CDPR would only receive the remaining $33 instead of the full $52.99, if i remember this correctly.
CasperApR: I love to have my games in one place.
That place is called your PC not Steam. 8P
For me is even worse. Regional pricing on Steam gives me the game at 20USD and GoG has it at 50USD

Thats 30USD difference so sorry but thats too much a difference to pass for as much as I want to support GoG
BlackSun: Isn't this connect thing a limited time thing, too? As in, there's a new batch every once in a while, but after the limited time period is over, you can't import these titles anymore...?

I'm no expert though, and I don't have steam. Just had the impression that's how it worked.
Yes, but you can keep the imported games forever.

Agreed but they did decide to do it for Witcher 3. Then again, that's a 5 year old game.

They do this to encourage people to make an account here. If 15 people set an account here just to get a free game, and 2 of them become regular buyers, the cost's already returned.

So, in conclusion, making Cyberpunk 2077 free for Steam owners wouldn't be that dumb. Not saying it WILL happen anytime soon after release date, though.
Post edited August 18, 2020 by GeraltOfRivia_PL