It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Are the devs/people in CDPR going to be alright? Can't help but feel a bit worried.

Please don't work too hard CDPR, we're all counting on you!
high rated
Niegol: Are the devs/people in CDPR going to be alright? Can't help but feel a bit worried.

Please don't work too hard CDPR, we're all counting on you!
Look I really wish people who do not work in an office capacity would stop treating this like its an Egyptian pyramid building monster. Crunch is just being forced to meet deadlines. If crunch didn't exist games would never come out. They have already delayed the game twice now its time to start pushing.

Secondly, there are laws in place to ensure they get paid for overtime. Its illegal in most countries not to pay someone for overtime. They get paid VERY well so its not like they are chained to a desk with some guy standing over them with a machete.
Jimbo_G: Look I really wish people who do not work in an office capacity would stop treating this like its an Egyptian pyramid building monster...
Lol....It is nice to see that there are other people with sense.

If I hadn't already known that this kind of propaganda** is automatically and uncritically absorbed by many people, I would have processed OP's post as any reasonably informed, thinking individual would: obvious sarcasm.

** And that's what this new "crunch crisis" is, though I won't explain it in this thread unless someone asks me to.
Agreed, enough with the nonsense polemic, if I was lucky enough to work in the games industry, moreover in a studio like cdprojekt, I wouldn't mind working 7 days a week lol
Post edited October 20, 2020 by late_to_the_party
Out of sudden players have stated to care about the employees? It took 20 year it seems.
Cyberway: Out of sudden players have stated to care about the employees? It took 20 year it seems.
I heard that people working on video games are only allowed one bathroom break per day.

Also, somebody told me that where he worked people were forced by the Overseer to work 40 hour weeks--sometimes more--and that people were constantly dropping dead from exhaustion and/or starvation.

Something has got to be done. Maybe...I don't know....maybe Big Union is the answer?
Cyberway: Out of sudden players have stated to care about the employees? It took 20 year it seems.
Dryspace: .
I heard that people working on video games are only allowed one bathroom break per day.

Also, somebody told me that where he worked people were forced by the Overseer to work 40 hour weeks--sometimes more--and that people were constantly dropping dead from exhaustion and/or starvation.

Something has got to be done. Maybe...I don't know....maybe Big Union is the answer?
Here in my country we work from 7am- to 12m "break (lunch) " 1pm to 7pm. so... 11 hours per day ... we go from monday to saturday. No big deal.
...and!! if we convert to dollars our payment would be: 500 dollars per month
Post edited October 21, 2020 by madkingdom
madkingdom: Here in my country we work from 7am- to 12m "break (lunch) " 1pm to 7pm. so... 11 hours per day ... we go from monday to saturday. No big deal.
Exactly. I once worked 11-hour shifts, five days a week, for almost a year. But that was only the average. On one memorable occasion I worked a 17-hour shift.

In the quick print business, quitting time was when the day's jobs were all done, and not one minute sooner.

madkingdom: Here in my country we work from 7am- to 12m "break (lunch) " 1pm to 7pm. so... 11 hours per day ... we go from monday to saturday. No big deal.
And that's good why?
In some countries children are put down long shafts to try and get some scrap, does that mean everyone should do that?
Exactly. I once worked 11-hour shifts, five days a week, for almost a year. But that was only the average. On one memorable occasion I worked a 17-hour shift.

In the quick print business, quitting time was when the day's jobs were all done, and not one minute sooner.
You're saying this as if it's a good thing. Why not do better instead of going 'Ohh well sheesh, this is how it's there and I did that therefor it's all good.'?
Post edited October 22, 2020 by Prefetian
Prefetian: And that's good why?
In some countries children are put down long shafts to try and get some scrap, does that mean everyone should do that?
I never said anything about his specific situation being "good". It's a matter of whether one has a healthy or unhealthy perspective.

Is riding the bus "good"? I don't know--is it as good as driving your own car? I'm sure most (but not all) people would say no, but it's also a lot better than having to walk. And most importantly, there's nothing wrong with it. Oh sure, we could complain about riding the bus (and I'm sure I did when I was a bus rider), but wait until we have to walk several miles, and suddenly we're fantasizing about the cool comfort of the bus.

Is working good if it's necessary in order to support yourself and your family? I don't see how it could possibly be bad. It certainly makes no sense to complain about having to work when there are millions of people in the world who have no decent employment opportunities and would kill to have a steady 50-hour-a-week job.
Prefetian: You're saying this as if it's a good thing. Why not do better instead of going 'Ohh well sheesh, this is how it's there and I did that therefor it's all good.'?
I shared my work experience as if it's something that had no harmful effect on me whatever and is nothing to complain about--especially since I had the freedom to get a different job if I didn't like it, just like everyone else in a civilized society.

Sure, many (but not all) people want to work as little as possible, but the idea that work is inherently bad is a pretty unhealthy idea in my opinion. Keeping busy with productive work is a good thing for an individual, and therefore a good thing for society. You do understand that all of the crime and gang violence in a society is caused by people who aren't getting up every morning and going to work, right?
Post edited October 23, 2020 by Dryspace
Prefetian: And that's good why?
I never said anything about his specific situation being "good". It's a matter of whether one has a healthy or unhealthy perspective.

Is riding the bus "good"? I don't know--is it as good as driving your own car? I'm sure most (but not all) people would say no, but it's also a lot better than having to walk. And most importantly, there's nothing wrong with it. Oh sure, we could complain about riding the bus (and I'm sure I did when I was a bus rider), but wait until we have to walk several miles, and suddenly we're fantasizing about the cool comfort of the bus.

Is working good if it's necessary in order to support yourself and your family? I don't see how it could possibly be bad. It certainly makes no sense to complain about having to work when there are millions of people in the world who have no decent employment opportunities and would kill to have a steady 50-hour-a-week job.
Prefetian: You're saying this as if it's a good thing. Why not do better instead of going 'Ohh well sheesh, this is how it's there and I did that therefor it's all good.'?
I shared my work experience as if it's something that had no harmful effect on me whatever and is nothing to complain about--especially since I had the freedom to get a different job if I didn't like it, just like everyone else in a civilized society.

Sure, many (but not all) people want to work as little as possible, but the idea that work is inherently bad is a pretty unhealthy idea in my opinion. Keeping busy with productive work is a good thing for an individual, and therefore a good thing for society. You do understand that all of the crime and gang violence in a society is caused by people who aren't getting up every morning and going to work, right?
You're completely missing the point.
Just because something is a certain way doesn't mean you can't make it better.
Just because you don't mind doing X doesn't mean everyone else does.
And nowhere did I say that work is inherently bad nor did I imply that, so I don't know where you got that from.
high rated
Normally I would say "crunches be like that", but I think they have had this crunch coming and going for longer than a year. And I can say it sucks. I work in a software company and we had a crunch last year. The whole year. I basically just came home to sleep and then back to work. Hardly saw my wife and kids except sometimes on Sundays.

Crunches are horrible. They wear you out. But it's wonderful when they end.

Hopefully they get a huge bonus on top of the overtime pay.
Prefetian: You're completely missing the point.
Just because something is a certain way doesn't mean you can't make it better.
Just because you don't mind doing X doesn't mean everyone else does.
And nowhere did I say that work is inherently bad nor did I imply that, so I don't know where you got that from.
Perhaps I'm missing your point, but I'm not missing the main point. The main point is that what is inarguably one of the best kinds of jobs that a human being can have in the world: working in an air-conditioned office building, sitting on one's backside drinking coffee--and let's not forget that most people in video games are fortunate enough to be doing what they want to be doing for work, unlike the majority of people in the world--for 40 or 50 hours a week, is somehow a horrible, horrible situation. Just unthinkable that this is allowed to happen in a civilized society! Those poor people!

That's the point, and I reject it. I reject it as baseless and ridiculous nonsense. If you're going to talk about "doing better", does it make much sense to start at the top 10%? Because seriously--you can't argue with this--when it comes to all the things a person can do for money, it doesn't get a whole lot better than working on video games.

Like I said, maybe I missed your point. I always try to respond honestly to what a person says. But my point is that the only reason this whole crunch propaganda started was to drum up support for the unionization of the video game industry.

That's the modus operandi of the left. Start with the propaganda. Repeat, repeat, and repeat until it becomes "undeniable fact". Until most people take it for granted that there's a crisis and that "Something's gotta be done!". And then move to further the agenda.

EDIT: Sorry, you asked me why I made the point that work isn't inherently bad. It's because you said that we needed to do better, and the only thing that I could imagine you were referring to was the amount of hours being worked--I assumed you meant that 'better' meant working less and less hours, until one hopefully doesn't have to work at all. Maybe that's not what you meant--I'm simply explaining how I interpreted your point.
Post edited October 24, 2020 by Dryspace
high rated
Dryspace, you have a very curious attitude towards office work.

Now, I don't think this particular crunch that the CDPR people are going through is sounding like it is all that dreadful, at least not according to what the various people have seen fit to tell us about it. But that applies only to this particular crunch. It doesn't sound like it is all that much additional time, it does sound like it is very time limited, and it does sound like everybody will get compensated fairly.

But that's applicable for this particular crunch. What you're suggesting is that office crunching in general, regardless of situation, is perfectly fine because it happens in an office and office people never work hard anyway. And that is absolute horsie. For starters, office work requires some output. There are some jobs here and there where everything is just process, but mostly you're going to get fired if stuff just piles up on your desk, and you're going to get fired if stuff that leaves your desk is full of errors, particularly if you're in the private sector and your errors are costing money.

In a software development context, you also can't just fall back on routine, because development generally means doing something that hasn't been done already. There's not much point in paying people to build an application that already exists, after all. That's why everybody is simply using Microsoft Office instead of paying local devs to create a spreadsheet application.

And here comes the problem: Without it being routine, with time deadlines, with limits on how many work hours you're allowed to spend, and with harsh consequences if you fuck up, there's actually quite a bit of pressure. You're not always told all the necessary details in advance, and those details can change at any point. You may or may not be given more hours to complete your task if or when that happens. Just have to suck that up.

You may well be forced to use a hopeless design that will cause issues down the line. Your helpful and very interesting commentary to that regard is duly noted and will be taken into account, now proceed and get shit done. You may have to make your task work with barely comprehensible legacy software that has a whole lot of unpredictable behavior. No, you don't get to rework that legacy junk, and since the legacy junk has "worked" for years, any problems it causes in your task are probably your fault.

Are you getting the picture? Because I could go on. Working like this for 40 hours is not physically demanding, most of the time, but it does take a toll. You can't just be mentally asleep and while the work is generally preferable to stacking barrels of toxic waste or similar, it isn't remotely as "fun" as you seem to think.

Finding out why your application is getting a calculation wrong may well involve going through hundreds or even thousands of lines of utterly fucked up legacy code that was seemingly written by 7 different people, that all used different pseudo-encryption for their variable names and used comments as a personal log.

Figuring out how to get something done without breaking other shit, without being horrendously inefficient, without running into refactoring issues may be a bit tricky. And then fucking Karen from accounting calls, or Mark over from marketing, or your boss decides that he just wants an update right now, can't wait, has to be this absolute fucking instant, and blammo, the entire framework that you've stacked up in your mind, all the variables that do this, with these values and those states, is now gone and has to be built up again.

Keep in mind that generally you're not just "working for two hours", you're given a task that should take two hours and will probably take longer. And you're not "done" after two hours, you're "done" when the job is done. Then you get the next task that should supposedly take a few hours, in a perfect world. Then you get the next. In ugly crunch cases, you go from 35-40 hours worth of tasks to 70-80 hours worth. If you think that's no biggie, you're out of your mind.

Next time you have a vacation, try doing sodokus for 10-12 hours straight. You can drink as much coffee as you want. Can't slack off, though. Time your speed for the first 30 minutes. You now have to keep that speed up for the rest of the exercise. What, sounds boring? It's a game! Games are fun! Right?

Yes, we office people did choose this line of work, but that hardly justifies the argument that any conditions are acceptable conditions, anymore than the argument that non-office-workers like you chose to not be highly skilled rocket scientists and therefore you don't need safety measures when moving toxic waste. If you get cancer, so what, you chose that line of work!!

You then go into some of the usual, ahem, imaginations that people on the right seem to have about "the left". I don't know what that is based on and I strongly suspect that this is not the right place to have that discussion. But let me just point out, very briefly, that Europe is generally somewhat far to the left of the US, and most of us tend to laugh quite a bit at the ridiculous hyperbole offered by your right wing people.

Oh, and let me add that Denmark isn't a bad place to be an office grunt. Workers are fairly protected here. But software development bullshit is still bullshit and it still happens, even here.
high rated
Arachnarok_Rider: Next time you have a vacation, try doing sodokus for 10-12 hours straight. You can drink as much coffee as you want. Can't slack off, though. Time your speed for the first 30 minutes. You now have to keep that speed up for the rest of the exercise.
This. So much this.

Now, do this for 12h/day 6d/week for a year. Just like I did last year. Let's talk afterwards about how office jobs are easy.
Post edited October 24, 2020 by frogthroat