It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Snip.
Online-only games on GOG will have a functioning crossplay with other platforms.
high rated
Clownski_: Online-only games on GOG will have a functioning crossplay with other platforms.
mqstout: Could you please correct this to say "online-only games, since they have DRM, have no place here and will not be on GOG" instead?
Your feedback is appreciated, however this is not our approach towards online-only games. I encourage you to check the update on our commitment to DRM-free gaming, back from March.
aluinie: I am happy for the people who want this but for me i just want single player DRM free games.
Completely understandable. That's why online-only games will have an appropriate tag and will be marked as such on the game page. It's only up to you whether you want to play them or not!
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Clownski_
high rated
my name is grompy catte: I don't have a problem with actual multiplayer-only games being here and requiring a connection - but I am wary this is a back door to excuse things like the Hitman 2016 online requirement. That is not a multi-player game and there is no justification for it requiring a connection.
huppumies: This sounds like a convoluted way to just re-release Hitman without modifications.
We're talking exclusively about fully online-only titles, such as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory that was released today.
high rated
Cavalary: [...] games that do not have singleplayer should only be added here if they allow players to host servers, to at least retain a DRM-free (and client-free, same thing) component.
That is exactly the case with Wolfenstein: ET we've released today. GALAXY isn't required to run it, all you need is the game and a working internet connection.
cmclout: Aside from that, are you finally going to remove the following section from the product pages?

"Why buy on GOG.COM?
DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
Safety and satisfaction. Stellar support 24/7 and full refunds up to 30 days."

if you keep that section on the product pages after you begin selling online-only games, then you will be intentionally lying to customers (also known as "fraud").
We do not put this message on online-only games pages (see GWENT and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) and we do not intend to do it for future online-only releases.
babbitovu: Again, if GOG could grant us the ability to self host our own servers apart from its network existing that would be another thing, and something I would very much applaud.
Jalister: For multiplayer only games, what I would like to see is games clearly labelled that allow hosting our own servers.
anevolvingtaste: If the online-only games include tools for the player to setup dedicated servers of their own and/or provide a LAN option, I have no problems with it. If a game doesn't offer at least one of those options, it feels out of place on GOG.
Yesterday released on GOG Wolfenstein: ET allows you to do just that. GOG GALAXY is not required in any way, all you need to play is the game and a working internet connection.
high rated
Clownski_: online-only games will have an appropriate tag and will be marked as such
phaolo: Question: is GOG going to add "online-only multiplayer games" or also "online-only single (+multi) player games"?
Because I could (begrudgingly) stand the first type, but IMO the second one's SP should be converted to DRM-free or bust.. :\

Also, is GOG fine with microtransactions, lootboxes, and similar practices?
We're looking after different online-only games including free-to-play and premium titles - all while still being committed to our approach mentioned in the OP. Once we have more details to share about specific releases, we will let you know.
Reminder: this is not the place to antagonize, shame, or attack other members of the Community, no matter yours or their stance on the topic at hand. Any further such breaches of our CoC will be met with a swift response, so please remain civil when posting. Thank you.
Post edited October 22, 2022 by Clownski_