It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready for a mind-bending game about worlds turned inside out.
Genre: Puzzle platformer
Might as well pop this onto the forum!
I popped the original one but I guess it was released to soon as the link went to the game Liberated :).
low rated
There's probably a universe where this looks good. Unfortunately, it's not this one.
Breja: There's probably a universe where this looks good. Unfortunately, it's not this one.
Some indie devs seem to think making a game with "retro pixel art" is an excuse for bad quality art. Like seriously, your average SNES or Genesis game looks way better than your average indie pixel shit like this game.
Post edited January 19, 2022 by Crosmando
low rated
Breja: There's probably a universe where this looks good. Unfortunately, it's not this one.
yeah
so many platformer games out there , most look way better than this and even this switch background isnt new
Crosmando: Some indie devs seem to think making a game with "retro pixel art" is an excuse for bad quality art. Like seriously, your average SNES or Genesis game looks way better than your average indie pixel shit like this game.
yup , it is we are not noobs we made it intentionally ugly
Post edited January 19, 2022 by Orkhepaj
I think it looks decent enough, not award winning or anything but quite adequate IMO.

They don't say anything about the music... Parov Stelar? Austin Wintory? Sabrepulse? Seems like someone from the Beatbuddy soundtrack considering the second trailer. Hopefully they do the parallel soundtracks thing like in Guacamelee.

Could be annoying switching between that many worlds.

I'm not fond of the whole "darker side of human nature" thing. There is enough of that in reality so I much prefer games with a more positive outlook.
Post edited January 19, 2022 by joveian
Yet another 'retro pixel art' game where the graphics are all extra-blocky, undetailed and lacking any distinctive art direction. All of these games just bleed into each other to me now.
high rated
GOG.com: Get ready for a mind-bending game about worlds turned inside out.
Keep bringing these low-budget pixel art games, and anime games, so people get salty in the comments and I can collect the salt and sell it on the salt market! ;)

People complain in the comments but I imagine most of the reviews on the game page, or on Steam, will be relatively positive if the gameplay is decent.
Crosmando: Some indie devs seem to think making a game with "retro pixel art" is an excuse for bad quality art. Like seriously, your average SNES or Genesis game looks way better than your average indie pixel shit like this game.
https://s.cdaction.pl/obrazki//nadgo-38_4bz3.jpg
Looks great to me!
GOG.com: Get ready for a mind-bending game about worlds turned inside out.
tfishell: Keep bringing these low-budget pixel art games, and anime games, so people get salty in the comments and I can collect the salt and sell it on the salt market! ;)

People complain in the comments but I imagine most of the reviews on the game page, or on Steam, will be relatively positive if the gameplay is decent.
I agree in that there´s too much whining in the forums these days. It´s not pleasant to read the forums lately. That being said, I will adhere to the complaints for once. Because, why not? It seems like people have fun complaining. :D

My take is that I don´t understand the appeal of pixelated games. I play old games now and then, but I do it to enjoy the story or for the sake of playing a classic. Which usually means, I play old games despite their poor graphic quality, not because of it. Meaning, pixels are usually a hindrance. I don´t know what´s the point of playing a modern game despite its graphics. To pay homage to classics is fine and I can understand if done properly. But I can´t understand this trend.

I welcome the game, though. The more games we hace on gog, the better (as long as they are not broken or are not poor excuses of games).
Post edited January 19, 2022 by arrua
For modern indies, the pixel art is more economic choice than an appeal to nostalgia. Going for big, detailed sprites will take up a lot of time. Those classics from the 90s had to work within the confines of the technology, but they also had teams of artists who work in specialized areas. Indies usually are hobbyists and have fewer people to work with to boot.

Honestly, this doesn't particularly stand out, but I've seen worse.
Post edited January 20, 2022 by SpaceMadness
SpaceMadness: For modern indies, the pixel art is more economic choice than an appeal to nostalgia. Going for big, detailed sprites will take up a lot of time. Those classics from the 90s had to work within the confines of the technology, but they also had teams of artists who work in specialized areas. Indies usually have hobbyists and have fewer people to work with to boot.

I don´t buy it. There are low budget indie games that don´t rely on big ugly pixels. Cthulhu Saves Christmas might be a good example of a game that looks good despite pixels being noticeable. Symphonia is a good example of a low budget game which looks really nice. And then, we have games like Dagon.
Post edited January 19, 2022 by arrua
SpaceMadness: For modern indies, the pixel art is more economic choice than an appeal to nostalgia. Going for big, detailed sprites will take up a lot of time. Those classics from the 90s had to work within the confines of the technology, but they also had teams of artists who work in specialized areas. Indies usually have hobbyists and have fewer people to work with to boot.
Yeah, the most frustrating thing to me is some people seemingly don't want devs to make anything unless said devs have enough of a budget to make mainstream-quality art. I imagine if simple vector graphics were as common as pixel art, people would be complaining about that also. (I recall complaints about some games' art here looking like "mobile game" art even though it wasn't pixel and probably decent overall.)

Toby Fox games, "Faith" series dev, Puppet Combo, etc. - arguably poor art but they found success

arrua: I don´t buy it. There are low budget indie games that don´t rely on big ugly pixels. Cthulhu Saves Christmas might be a good example of a game that looks good despite pixels being noticeable. Symphonia is a good example of a low budget game which looks really nice. And then, we have games like Dagon.
Symphonia looks great but is it really "low-budget"? Is that info public?

Maybe "Undertale" would be a good comparison - made by one guy. Or "Night in the Woods" looks like it has fairly simple art style but with vector graphics instead of pixels (may not be "low-budget" either though).

edit: it looks like the "What Lies in the Multiverse" devs have a publisher, so depending on the financial backing maybe we should expect more from them. When it comes to indie devs' art I usually come to their defense because I know making good art is time-consuming and challenging.
Post edited January 19, 2022 by tfishell