It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Retrovibe is a freshly launched publisher company on a mission. Its founders wish to create a unique incubator focused on bringing New Retro titles to life by supporting passionate indie developers in their creative process. Such an approach made it felt very natural for Retrovibe to join forces with GOG.COM, a digital platform that brings back all-time classics to gamers.

Today you can experience the first effects of our co-operation. First of all, prepare to put your reflexes to the test as the fast-paced platformer Janosik lands on GOG.COM to grab for free! Also, take a glimpse at 4 New Retro titles that are bound to be released before the end of 2022:

B.I.O.T.A. is an action platformer where you battle more than 40 types of mutants as members of the highly skilled commando squad sent on a deadly mission.

Janosik 2 is yet another action platformer where you help the legendary Slovak folk hero and his two unlikely companions on their journey through the dangerous Baron von Żur's castle.

The Looter is a post-apocalyptic 2D action-adventure title where you become one of humanity’s few survivors traversing the dangerous wilds of Tortura.

Shardpunk: Verminfall is a tactical squad-based survival strategy game where you lead a band of survivors through the city overrun by a vicious Rat Swarm.

Visit Retrovibe Twitch channel for more details about upcoming titles. One of the features present there will be a series of daily video diaries showing developers working on their games, showing off new features, talking about development, and connecting with fans.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: Do you want to play the ignorance card?
You DO realise that software renderers have set of requirements of their own right?
And it's not like they work on just about ANYTHING?

But yeah, nice try, FAILED, but whatever.
LOL, you totally faceplanted with the GPU nonsense, and rather than having the integrity to admit your error, you've now decided to move the goalposts to a different game entirely. No point engaging with this level of ignorance; have fun tilting at windmills.
low rated
GamezRanker: What is nw.js, if I may ask? An engine or some such?
kohlrak: Looks like another node.js or something. To me the idea is fundamentally flawed, so i don't look any further, but it should be easy to look up. Long story short, using JS to make games that are run outside of the browser. The flaw being, JS isn't meant for that, nor is it really that good at that, hence the preformance issues on my computer.
I would not say that. A huge advantage, right out of the box, is the platform independence. Whatever you write immediately runs pretty much everywhere where you can get a Chromium-derivative to run. If you have a game that's heavy on the UI I would certainly go that way too, HTML/CSS/JavaScript cover so much territory in that area, you need to bring a real lot dependencies and work to get even close to what you can do with a few lines there.
Even as someone well versed in C++ and enjoying the detail work low level APIs, I would nowadays certainly prototype a game in something in the HTML5 ecosystem first. Once you have something that provably works good enough to, for example, distribute it for free as an advertisement of the coming games we can talk about the exact tech for the successor. But if you know your tools well enough I see no fundamental problem in having an indie-level game based in HTML5.

kohlrak: The worst part is, i don't get the impression you're trolling, either. I think you've managed to get your knickers into a twist over something completely unrelated to this game, and you've gone off on a tangent 'cause you can't voice your actual concerns or something. 'Cause, you've not done this with other games here tha do the same thing. I recommend a timeout, man.
I have remarked in the past in other forums, that you can probably find enough material to finish your doctorate in psychology just by calmly watching a forum community of non-trivial size. Nevertheless, after having observed B1tF1ghter several times now: there probably is a whole chapter just in that one person.
high rated
I watched the trailers and these games looked pretty cool. The music in B.I.O.T.A.'s video is pumping. I saw there were a bunch of comments in this thread and thought others were excited about these games, too. But no, it's just somebody ranting about the system requirements being too low. I'm kind of disappointed, but maybe outrage is better than obscurity.
low rated
kohlrak: Looks like another node.js or something. To me the idea is fundamentally flawed, so i don't look any further, but it should be easy to look up. Long story short, using JS to make games that are run outside of the browser. The flaw being, JS isn't meant for that, nor is it really that good at that, hence the preformance issues on my computer.
So java based gaming then? Thanks for the info

BitMaster_1980: I would not say that. A huge advantage, right out of the box, is the platform independence. Whatever you write immediately runs pretty much everywhere where you can get a Chromium-derivative to run. If you have a game that's heavy on the UI I would certainly go that way too, HTML/CSS/JavaScript cover so much territory in that area, you need to bring a real lot dependencies and work to get even close to what you can do with a few lines there.
Even as someone well versed in C++ and enjoying the detail work low level APIs, I would nowadays certainly prototype a game in something in the HTML5 ecosystem first. Once you have something that provably works good enough to, for example, distribute it for free as an advertisement of the coming games we can talk about the exact tech for the successor. But if you know your tools well enough I see no fundamental problem in having an indie-level game based in HTML5.
And thanks to you as well :)
Post edited June 02, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
GamezRanker: So java based gaming then? Thanks for the info
No. JavaScript, not Java. Despite the strong naming similarity picked way back then for marketing reasons they don't have much in common except both being imperative languages derived from the C family.
low rated
frosty_shake: I watched the trailers and these games looked pretty cool. The music in B.I.O.T.A.'s video is pumping. I saw there were a bunch of comments in this thread and thought others were excited about these games, too. But no, it's just somebody ranting about the system requirements being too low. I'm kind of disappointed, but maybe outrage is better than obscurity.
Good point....for one, the bumps will hopefully help more people to notice the upcoming games.

-

BitMaster_1980: No. JavaScript, not Java. Despite the strong naming similarity picked way back then for marketing reasons they don't have much in common except both being imperative languages derived from the C family.
My bad....I tend to mix em up sometimes, ya see....thanks for the correction. :)
Post edited June 02, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
BitMaster_1980: I would not say that. A huge advantage, right out of the box, is the platform independence. Whatever you write immediately runs pretty much everywhere where you can get a Chromium-derivative to run. If you have a game that's heavy on the UI I would certainly go that way too, HTML/CSS/JavaScript cover so much territory in that area, you need to bring a real lot dependencies and work to get even close to what you can do with a few lines there.
This is a claim that Java made as well, though. How well has that turned out?
Aside from the limitations it presents. But, then again, that's where nw.js comes in. Certianly the idea's cool, especially for web deves, but let's be clear that even now "webassembly" is now becoming a thing due to performance concerns. The problem is specifically the featuritis of the language ultimately leads to performance issues, thus the very thing you praise it for is the cause of the problems. Of course, people will try to tackle the issue and make a new language that has the speed and also the APIs at the same time and not realize they've not actually amde any progres, but, well, that's the industry. Ultimately, while it might be more appealing to have everything ready to go, manual importation helps alot, and things like explicit typing help alot, too. But, basically, all those libraries and code you'd have to import to code these things, you're now importing it all at runtime, even if you're not actually using it, which is the problem.
kohlrak: The worst part is, i don't get the impression you're trolling, either. I think you've managed to get your knickers into a twist over something completely unrelated to this game, and you've gone off on a tangent 'cause you can't voice your actual concerns or something. 'Cause, you've not done this with other games here tha do the same thing. I recommend a timeout, man.
I have remarked in the past in other forums, that you can probably find enough material to finish your doctorate in psychology just by calmly watching a forum community of non-trivial size. Nevertheless, after having observed B1tF1ghter several times now: there probably is a whole chapter just in that one person.
Yeah. I was informed in PMs that he only recently went off the rails, though.

Another good place is your average discord server, twitch stream chat, etc, and you don't even have to look for a non-trivial size, I assure you. I remember finding a psychiatry student on a minecraft server. She was an interesting case... As she said, "most people get into this to help others, 'cause no one, not even themselves, can them them." Not sure if her comment wasn't projection, but it sounds about right so i go with it. I'm curious how her profession is going, now. I'm also curious if she ever got the help she needed. I'll likely never know, though.
low rated
kohlrak: This is a claim that Java made as well, though. How well has that turned out?
Java never claimed to be seriously good at UI. AWT was just a mess because it was designed in a rush before the initial release and Swing, while fixing a lot of problems was in a lot of ways over-engineered while also falling short of a lot of things.
There was never a decent support for things that could help game development though. There were some third-party librabries (like LWJGL) but that still depended on native code and some drivers had/have shoddy OpenGL support, especially on Windows. Modularization took ages (if it works now, I haven't checked that in years) and getting a game somewhere without having to install a whole Java runtime environment was at best a chore and somtimes a ToU-violation.

Java had a lot of chances but Sun was run by decent engineers who ended up being in over their head, especially on the economical side, and Oracle was just interested in suing people and trying to be as much as an ass as they could.

Chromium (or something like Positron if it ever makes a comeback) works on pretty much everything that is nowadays even remotely relevant in that context. You even avoid shoddy GL-implementations because on Windows all browsers I know of transparently go through Angle instead.

I haven't spent much time there but I could, with trivial effort, build a fully packaged app for both Windows and Linux while still being able to run it as a webpage from the same source. More platforms were just additional entries in an array away. Admittedly, there are a few years difference between the two, but that's much more with much less effort than I could ever get in Java.

Aside from the limitations it presents. But, then again, that's where nw.js comes in. Certianly the idea's cool, especially for web deves, but let's be clear that even now "webassembly" is now becoming a thing due to performance concerns. The problem is specifically the featuritis of the language ultimately leads to performance issues, thus the very thing you praise it for is the cause of the problems. Of course, people will try to tackle the issue and make a new language that has the speed and also the APIs at the same time and not realize they've not actually amde any progres, but, well, that's the industry. Ultimately, while it might be more appealing to have everything ready to go, manual importation helps alot, and things like explicit typing help alot, too. But, basically, all those libraries and code you'd have to import to code these things, you're now importing it all at runtime, even if you're not actually using it, which is the problem.
You use an established engine (like Unity or Unreal), but that also comes with its own problems and caveats and lots and lots of bundled stuff you probably never need. Alternatively, you can roll your own but that requires someone with a lot of skill and knowledge working on an indie project with no guarantee of any (monetary) success while you could draw an extremely decent salary working just about anywhere in IT. Not impossible (see for example the Factorio team), but not every indie team will be able to pull that off.
Running something in a browser and then bundling it via Electron or NW.js is a decent alternative. Chromium is not exactly lightweight but with a bit of extra work you can prune it down a bit and unlike the game creation toolkits you have pretty much complete freedom in how to build things.

Nothing is forever, nothing is perfect and things evolve. It's important to pick the right tool for the job. If you are doing something UI-heavy or a cute little action game with a limited team, taking a look at the HTML5 eco system is certainly worth a look at the time being.
low rated
BitMaster_1980: Java never claimed to be seriously good at UI. AWT was just a mess because it was designed in a rush before the initial release and Swing, while fixing a lot of problems was in a lot of ways over-engineered while also falling short of a lot of things.
I was more aiming for the cross platform bit. It's not exactly true, right now. C code can be cross platform if you write it in a cross platform way, and supposedly Java was to make it so you wouldn't have to write something in a cross platform way, but then that went into the dumpster.
There was never a decent support for things that could help game development though. There were some third-party librabries (like LWJGL) but that still depended on native code and some drivers had/have shoddy OpenGL support, especially on Windows. Modularization took ages (if it works now, I haven't checked that in years) and getting a game somewhere without having to install a whole Java runtime environment was at best a chore and somtimes a ToU-violation.
Minecraft has been successful with it for a while, so it looks to have improved.
Java had a lot of chances but Sun was run by decent engineers who ended up being in over their head, especially on the economical side, and Oracle was just interested in suing people and trying to be as much as an ass as they could.
Well, the goals were a problem. I think one of the bigger mistakes of the java engineers was this mentality of making a language that could somehow protect the coder from themselves, and what it ended up doing is creating alot of boilerplate code for things that were previously simpler (but "dangerous" like pointers). Now days students are trying to break "the annoying things' like excessive exception handling requirements (why couldn't java just provide a default handler which simply required a UI specification to deliver that output in the event that it's not handled?).
Chromium (or something like Positron if it ever makes a comeback) works on pretty much everything that is nowadays even remotely relevant in that context. You even avoid shoddy GL-implementations because on Windows all browsers I know of transparently go through Angle instead.

I haven't spent much time there but I could, with trivial effort, build a fully packaged app for both Windows and Linux while still being able to run it as a webpage from the same source. More platforms were just additional entries in an array away. Admittedly, there are a few years difference between the two, but that's much more with much less effort than I could ever get in Java.
And that's where java failed. I have my own issues with JS constantly updating, and given that the people behind Chromium are trying to mess with C++'s unofficial binary compatibility standard is worrysome, though i'm more worried about the future of C++ with deprecation of language features.

I always thought that C++ was just C with classes and that if a new standard needed to be developed, someone would just make a new language on top of, or based on, C++. Now we have C++ joining in the laundry list of languages that are trying to protect the coders from themselves. Not only does this potentially mean constant refactoring, but potentially also include a need for entire algorithmic changes as well just to meet language changes. As a result, despite C++ being my first language, i've more or less abandoned it for C, beause at least ISO's promising not to mess with it too much (we'll see).

You use an established engine (like Unity or Unreal), but that also comes with its own problems and caveats and lots and lots of bundled stuff you probably never need. Alternatively, you can roll your own but that requires someone with a lot of skill and knowledge working on an indie project with no guarantee of any (monetary) success while you could draw an extremely decent salary working just about anywhere in IT. Not impossible (see for example the Factorio team), but not every indie team will be able to pull that off.
I don't think it is as bad as it sounds. A huge problem, though, is that people don't learn about or from the technology that they're using. Information hiding isn't bad for getting a good start, but i think should ultimately learn what's running under the hood. Sometimes you can either roll your own more effectively or even improve your algorithms to better take advantage of what's going on. If we had this mentality, building your own engines wouldn't be so spookey. Alot of these games aren't using many of the features provided by these engines and it is a massive waste. I think these engines should also consider that as well and improve runtime distributions based on that (What's odd to me is that only RPG maker managed to come up with this RTP thing, out of the game engines).
Running something in a browser and then bundling it via Electron or NW.js is a decent alternative. Chromium is not exactly lightweight but with a bit of extra work you can prune it down a bit and unlike the game creation toolkits you have pretty much complete freedom in how to build things.
Not lightweight is certainly the case.
Nothing is forever, nothing is perfect and things evolve. It's important to pick the right tool for the job. If you are doing something UI-heavy or a cute little action game with a limited team, taking a look at the HTML5 eco system is certainly worth a look at the time being.
This is how we end up, though, with simple platformers with near no features using half the system resources, though. Take the free game here: it's slowdowns are running competitively with some of the unity games i'm trying out on my system. I mean, yeah, it's old, but that's a bit of weight to be putting on a new system, too. The way it looks to me is that the scopes of the games are getting a little large for what they're trying to shove the games into. It's very clear to me that the issue I'm having with this free game is a result of the number of objects that get loaded into one space and then my CPU having to account for all that at once, and, to make things clear, I can play Skyrim on this computer with a reasonable FPS.

And, the weird thing is, i thought this was the whole point of independent APIs and libraries. This is what object orientation was eventually supposed to result in. Yet, for some reason, I can't just import a gravity library, collision library, etc, and just code a game in C++. We don't seem to have the things we thought we would have with certain advancements. I can think of a number of ways you could create a system to pass an arbitrary object to a gravity library that doesn't care about 2d vs 3d, for example. Collusion is a bit more complicated (but we'd expect different collision libraries for different types), but i think ti could be done. Yet none of this ever happened. Certainly we did end up with SDL, so there was certainly some progress by society.
kohlrak: [...]
Well, the forum software just ate my answer. Since this is going increasingly off-topic and I'm in no mood to retype all of that, I'll just say that I disagree in several fundamental points.

Anyway, thanks for the free game and some of the rest look interesting.
high rated
I see we've had some really extensive conversation there, I would just like to remind you to stay on topic and not take jabs at each other while voicing opinions. Discussions are much more interesting if we can see some clear points and arguments backing them rather than just empty noise point scoring against each other.
kohlrak: [...]
BitMaster_1980: Well, the forum software just ate my answer. Since this is going increasingly off-topic and I'm in no mood to retype all of that, I'll just say that I disagree in several fundamental points.

Anyway, thanks for the free game and some of the rest look interesting.
As i tell everyone else: notepad++. The forum software is terrible at eating our posts, so if we can ctrl+z one or more times it helps.
sneed
watvin: I see we've had some really extensive conversation there, I would just like to remind you to stay on topic and not take jabs at each other while voicing opinions. Discussions are much more interesting if we can see some clear points and arguments backing them rather than just empty noise point scoring against each other.
I think i'm going to take the time to praise the intelligence of this comment. This is the most honest and intelligent thing i've seen from a blue in a long, long time (to be fair, i'm not looking for all the blue posts).
Shardpunk looks cool, and a free game is always welcomed, Thanks!