It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Thiev: That won't work on most systems, as in their default configuration they require a restart after any service change. So there cannot be a quick enable->play game->stop service->disable run ;)
Oh ok then. I guess you just need to fix it properly then. :) But at least I have a way to play my Flatout now.

Is this the only GOG game with this "inert Safedisc issue"? I think there are other GOG games too which had some sort of Safedisc variant in the original retail version, yet they are marked Windows 10 compatible. For instance, Carmageddon 2.
Post edited September 25, 2015 by timppu
timppu: Oh ok then. I guess you just need to fix it properly then. :) But at least I have a way to play my Flatout now.

Is this the only GOG game with this "inert Safedisc issue"? I think there are other GOG games too which had some sort of Safedisc variant in the original retail version, yet they are marked Windows 10 compatible. For instance, Carmageddon 2.
Either fix it or remove from store.
Flatout depends on those drivers in unusual way, beyond simple copy protection. So far it is the only GOG game affected or at least that's what QA tells me.
timppu: Is this the only GOG game with this "inert Safedisc issue"? I think there are other GOG games too which had some sort of Safedisc variant in the original retail version, yet they are marked Windows 10 compatible. For instance, Carmageddon 2.
Carmageddon 2 was updated on 16 September to fix installation issues with Windows 10. In case the link doesn't work (forum hiccups and such), you could also check the game's changelog in your account.
timppu: Oh ok then. I guess you just need to fix it properly then. :) But at least I have a way to play my Flatout now.

Thiev: Either fix it or remove from store.
Flatout depends on those drivers in unusual way, beyond simple copy protection. So far it is the only GOG game affected or at least that's what QA tells me.
I just want to say thank you for letting us know what's going on with this. Hopefully it will be possible to fix the issue. Good luck!
If you have to remove the Windows version, will you also remove the Linux version from the store?
mike_cesara: Will observe with pleasure how they're losing market ; )
Jesus, Doc. This is heavy!
Post edited September 25, 2015 by 0Grapher
timppu: So I guess I will just make a bat file that enables the service before it runs Flatout, and on exit it will disable the service again. I guess GOG could make a similar change to their Flatout launcher to make it work on Windows Vista/7/8.1. No idea how big a security risk it is that that service is temporarily enabled, just as long as you play the game.
Thiev: That won't work on most systems, as in their default configuration they require a restart after any service change. So there cannot be a quick enable->play game->stop service->disable run ;)
Huh, what? Since when? As long as it isn't a system critical service that makes Windows crash when it is stopped you can start and stop services at any time. No system restart required.
Geralt_of_Rivia: Huh, what? Since when? As long as it isn't a system critical service that makes Windows crash when it is stopped you can start and stop services at any time. No system restart required.
My machine didn't require that but all testlab PCs did. At lest when it comes to that particular service and switching from 'Disabled' status.

Apparently you can start / stop services at any time, but not enable it if it's disabled. It is probably dependent on some policy setting or Home / Pro OS version.

Nevertheless if it doesn't work even on some of our testlab comps, it won't work for ~100x amount of users ;)
Post edited September 25, 2015 by Thiev
Geralt_of_Rivia: Huh, what? Since when? As long as it isn't a system critical service that makes Windows crash when it is stopped you can start and stop services at any time. No system restart required.
Thiev: My machine didn't require that but all testlab PCs did. At lest when it comes to that particular service and switching from 'Disabled' status.

Apparently you can start / stop services at any time, but not enable it if it's disabled. It is probably dependent on some policy setting or Home / Pro OS version.

Nevertheless if it doesn't work even on some of our testlab comps, it won't work for ~100x amount of users ;)
I also never saw a needed system restart on changing a service's startup setting but then again I don't use home versions and my user account has administrator privileges. That might be the culprit since normal user shouldn't be able to change a service's startup settings.

But I agree, if many test systems (even if that weren't all of them) need a restart after changing the setting a simple 'switch on service, play, switch off service' script would be too unreliable.
Useful list.
http://www.gameburnworld.com/protectedgameslist2.shtml#Haegemonia

Heroes Of Might & Magic 3 was listed as "None". pretty sure my complete version CDs have SecuRom on them.

Virtualbox won't work either, it seems.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1241604-HOMM3-SecuROM-problem-Forums
As long as there is a workaround I think it is good overall.
dick1982: Heroes Of Might & Magic 3 was listed as "None". pretty sure my complete version CDs have SecuRom on them.
Armageddon's Blade is listed separately, it is shown to have SafeDisk.
dick1982: Heroes Of Might & Magic 3 was listed as "None". pretty sure my complete version CDs have SecuRom on them.
Sarisio: Armageddon's Blade is listed separately, it is shown to have SafeDisk.
Well, that's a pain in the ass. Guess i'll wishlist HOMM3 just in case.
The games that for me are hindered the most because of this are Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam as there's no digital download that can be bought for it (once upon a time, Battlefield 1942 was offered for free on Origin, but only the basic game, not the Road To Rome and Secret Weapons of World War 2 expansions and even that has been pulled as well). Time to get those on GOG, there's already some EA classics here, vote for them to join the queue.
Post edited September 26, 2015 by DubConqueror

Well one of the newer cracks allows you to run Flatout on Windows 10,