It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Had to throw this in - if you haven't seen it, check out the Monty Python skit about the Summarizing Proust Competition.

sorry, can't post a link
Gerin: Had to throw this in - if you haven't seen it, check out the Monty Python skit about the Summarizing Proust Competition.

sorry, can't post a link
Watched it. Love most of the Pythons. I guess I expected more. Thanks for chiming in and sharing!!
Bernardin's L'empire écologique ou la subversion de l'écologie par le mondialisme.
El diablo de hierro (Las Crónicas Nemedias #2) by Robert E. Howard
Various Authors' (Edited By Alan Moran) Climate Change: The Facts
Now reading Rhythm of War (book 4 in the Stormlight Archive series) by Brandon Sanderson.
Just got the complete collection of Todd McFarlane's Spawn comics in the mail, in Norwegian! I'm looking forward to reading this.
Gad Saad's The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense.
I'm near the end of Il Trecentonovelle (= "the book of 300 short stories") by Franco Sacchetti.
Gad Saad's The Saad Truth about Happiness: 8 Secrets for Leading the Good Life.
Losev: Antique aesthetics
The allure of ancient art and culture continues to inspire and captivate us, reminding us of the enduring value of the past in shaping our artistic sensibilities today with essaysrescue.com/royalessays-review/ This discussion offers a fascinating insight into the world of aesthetics and its deep-rooted connection to our appreciation of history and art.
Post edited September 10, 2023 by leonardbrit
Now reading Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie.
I find myself reading - yet again - the later books in the series
Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F7T8NPK?binding=paperback&ref=dbs_dp_rwt_sb_pc_tpbk

I was about to say that this series has been completed, as the author has said that for certain with book 15...and now I see there's a listing of book 16.

The setting (or "book gender" as I like calling it) for the series is military science / fiction, set in the current time. Where aliens first attack Earth by mistake, and a group of Humans set out to fight back and find out why we were attacked in the first place.

There's alien political twists, action, profanity and a very well written story (albeit with too many typographical errors for my liking - although one such error is one too many for me) of escalating issues that a certain Sergeant / Colonel / General Joe "Barney" Bishop have to deal with, guided by one infinitely knowledgeable (according to himself) godlike artificial intelligence called Skippy.

Seriously, if anyone is like me, and can admit to being the occasional doofus when no one's around, this series is for you. :)

There is also a TON of movie references sprinkled throughout the books (<3), and the actual science behind the fiction is very well researched by the author.
Just started The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of time #3) by Robert Jordan
The newest Asterix album: "Asterix and the White Iris", by Fabcaro and Didier Conrad.

It's ok-ish. At best.
I don't want to say it's outright "meh"...but it's definitely more on the side of bland.

I did like some of the original ideas...

- Using the concept of "The White Iris", to make fun of the "out-of-touch-with-reality" esoteric movement.

- The introduction of the "Thalix" (the Asterix equivalent of the French High Speed Train "Thalys") and the jokes around the failing transport system.

- the small joke about the "climate gluers" (protesting against the deforestation of the "forest of Carnutes").

But it definitely doesn't help, that I can't help but feel, that I basically hold a blend of older albums in my hands.

Examples:

- When the new character Isivertuus comes to the village to buy stuff and tries to change the ways of the villagers, they basically reprise the premise of "The Mansions of the Gods", only this time with a single Roman, instead of a whole bunch.

- When Impedimenta falls for Isiveruus' ideas - I think of "Asterix and the Soothsayer".

- The voyage to Lutetia, where Asterix, Obelix, Vitalstatistix, and Impedimenta visit Impedimenta's brother, Homeopathix (including the same old insults) - "Asterix and the Laurel Wreath", immediately springs to mind.

- Vitalstatistix' bad mood during their trip - I can't help but think of "Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield".

- The return of our heroes to the theater stage, where Obelix, once again, has to overcome his timidity - do I hear anyone say: "Asterix and the Cauldron"?

I wish, they had not recycled so much, but came up with an entirely new story, instead.