It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So I use a pretty old Dell 1080p 24" monitor, it's been an amazing monitor for years with no problems but I'm considering upgrading, but NOT to 2k or 4k. I just have too many older games which have low resolutions and 4k is just going to stretch them a bit too far for my liking.

I'm looking at the ASUS VG279QM, which is 1080p and 27". Does anyone here have experience with a 27" 1080p monitor? Is that size too big and the pixels are a bit too large?

Thanks
I don't know the answer to this but I do recomend the ultrawide experience. Although many older games may not support the resolution, it's so much of a better an experience when they do.
low rated
As somone with a Dell P2417H, have you considered a side-grade? I used to have an Asus monitor, but then needed different ports because of a new graphics card. So instead of going bigger, consider better for the same size?
dont do it....like u said...its too big for 1080p..

4k is still somewhat expensive, so ideally go for 1440p if u want 27 inches.....or stick to 1080p 24....its still great :)

edit: i see its a 280 hz monitor....unless u absolutely need the high refresh rate...id stay clear if u are not willing to sacrifice some visual quality
Post edited February 04, 2022 by de_v1to
I actually just bought an LG 27" 1080P (144hz) monitor a couple of months ago to replace an aging Lenovo 23" 1080P (60hz) one. Unless a person gets their face all in their 1080P at that size is not a problem. I typically sit ~2 to 2.5ft from the monitor, and haven't had any issues.

That change in 4" sure made my computing experience a lot more enjoyable. It helps that the newer monitor also has a better feature set: better screen tech, brightness, color, higher framerates, and g-sync compatibility. :)
Post edited February 04, 2022 by Mr.Mumbles
Crosmando: ...
I also bought myself a new monitor and I was told by so many people that at 1080p anything over 24 is too big. That the pixels are too large. Unfortunately I bough a 24" and I've regretted it and been pissed of by it ever since.

If I could do it all over again, I'd get a 32' at 1080p and be done with it. I grew up with a 17" 1024x768 monitor, and I never cried myself to sleep that the pixels are too large... boo hoo, fucking people...

Honestly, my advise is to go in whatever showroom you can find, and personally verify if you find any 27" monitor at 1080p distracting. Odds are you won't.

EDIT: And now that I started ranting, I remember I had the same issues when I bought my keyboard. So many fucking people "advised" me that I would find it IMPOSSIBLE to switch from XDA profile keycaps to SA profile keycaps. That the keycaps are just too damn tall. Or going from 50g switches to 72g switches, would make my fingers feel so tired... FINGERS FEEL TIRED!!! After testing both options I can say that the transition was seamless. FUUUUCK snowflakes!!!
Post edited February 04, 2022 by MadalinStroe
Crosmando: Does anyone here have experience with a 27" 1080p monitor? Is that size too big and the pixels are a bit too large?
What you're asking is entirely subjective as one person will declare it "unusably ugly", another will have no problem, and another still may ever prefer it for older games due to UI scaling / less than perfect eyesight. Likewise perceived resolution is a function of screen size vs resolution vs viewing distance so if you find it too poor then pushing it back on the desk 4" reduces it.

If you're happy with how your current 1080p @ 24" monitor looks for sharpness, scaling (size of UI elements in games / Windows, etc), then two other possible options for a larger screen at similar ppi (for better playability of older games that don't scale well) would be 1440p @ 32" (16:9) or 2560x1080 @ 29" (Ultrawide), both of which will give you roughly the same 92ppi you have now. Best advice though is see if you can test it in person as everyone's different and there never is or will be one "perfect" ppi density figure for everyone, despite the 'advice' on e-peen hardware forums.
Post edited February 04, 2022 by AB2012
I've been using one for years, desk scenario, and it worked more than fine in a whole range of games. TBH if I had to switch back again from 2k 27" to 1080p 27" it would probably without too much hassle. But those are my 2 cents :p
Crosmando: Does anyone here have experience with a 27" 1080p monitor? Is that size too big and the pixels are a bit too large?
I use a 27" @1080p. It's totally fine.
I heard that 1080p is not recommended for 27'', but..

A 27" screen is 59.8 x 33.6 cm.
1080p 16:9 is 1920 x 1080 pixels.
So 1 pixel is 0.31 x 0.31 mm

For a 24'' it's 0.27 x 0.27 mm
It doesn't seem that big of a difference? O_o
Post edited February 04, 2022 by phaolo
Crosmando: Thanks
I bought this cheapo HP 27w IPS monitor as my main monitor (also for gaming) less than a year ago, I think.

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c05685483 (product number: 1JJ98AA)

No complaints for the screen quality etc., but then I guess I am easily satisfied there. As long as the picture is sharp, I guess I am fine.

No idea why I'd ever think pixels are "too big", considering I don't mind playing at 1920x1080 or even lower even on my 65" TV. They are just pixels, they won't hurt my eyes physically or anything even if they are bigger.

I have two complaints (or rather features I'd like this monitor to have):

1. It has no FreeSync or G-Sync. Then again I wasn't expecting it to have for such a low price, so I use 60Hz vsync normally, just like in the good old days. Still, I have been thinking of buying yet another monitor for my new gaming laptop, probably a FreeSync monitor because I understand that is the way of the future and G-Sync is slowly "dying" for being proprietary and costing extra money for the manufacturers (or at least used to...?).

2. This is a bigger one: the stand is totally solid, so you can't move nor tilt the screen up or down. This is a bit of a bummer because the stand is quite low, and now the monitor is quite low on my desk, below my eye level. I'd like to either raise a bit, or tilt it upwards.

I thought about putting a couple of thick books, like some old bible and a quran under the monitor to raise it a bit, but I decided against it in order not to anger any religious fanatics, and I've kinda grown used to the monitor sitting low on my desk.
de_v1to: dont do it....like u said...its too big for 1080p..

4k is still somewhat expensive, so ideally go for 1440p if u want 27 inches.....or stick to 1080p 24....its still great :)

edit: i see its a 280 hz monitor....unless u absolutely need the high refresh rate...id stay clear if u are not willing to sacrifice some visual quality
Well that's interesting, a 27" 1080p monitor with a 280Hz refresh rate??? That does sound odd...

I still disagree about 27" being "too big" for 1080p. For me even my 65" OLED TV is fine for 1080p.
Post edited February 04, 2022 by timppu
Crosmando: So I use a pretty old Dell 1080p 24" monitor, it's been an amazing monitor for years with no problems but I'm considering upgrading, but NOT to 2k or 4k. I just have too many older games which have low resolutions and 4k is just going to stretch them a bit too far for my liking.
What? 2160p is not going to stretch low resolution games any more than 1080p would, as they both have the same aspect ratio and smaller pixels should make non-integer scaling a lot more tolerable with 2160p than with 1080p whenever integer scaling would leave too big horizontal borders to the screen.
Crosmando: So I use a pretty old Dell 1080p 24" monitor, it's been an amazing monitor for years with no problems but I'm considering upgrading, but NOT to 2k or 4k. I just have too many older games which have low resolutions and 4k is just going to stretch them a bit too far for my liking.

I'm looking at the ASUS VG279QM, which is 1080p and 27". Does anyone here have experience with a 27" 1080p monitor? Is that size too big and the pixels are a bit too large?

Thanks
I mostly play older games, and 1440p is just fine. They look okay.

I think 1440p is a big upgrade over 1080p. There is a performance drop, but not that huge, and for that, you are getting more than 1.5 million pixels more.
phaolo: I heard that 1080p is not recommended for 27'', but..

Google pixel density calculator. A 27 inch monitor at 1080p will have 81 ppi, while a 24 inch model of the same resolution will have 91. That's a big difference, if you are going to be using this monitor for years.

a 27 inch 2560x1440p monitor, which is what I use, will have 108. So much better! I am not sure if I made the right choice, or if I maybe should have gone for 32 inch, which would have 91 ppi.
Post edited February 04, 2022 by TheNamelessOne_PL
phaolo: I heard that 1080p is not recommended for 27'', but..

It might be a pvp myth though ...

and granted, i lost a lot of response time when i went from a 17" to a 23" way way back
JAAHAS: What? 2160p is not going to stretch low resolution games any more than 1080p would, as they both have the same aspect ratio and smaller pixels should make non-integer scaling a lot more tolerable with 2160p than with 1080p whenever integer scaling would leave too big horizontal borders to the screen.
He's probably referring to UI scaling. Example for Dragon Age Origins:-

1080p - https://i.imgur.com/SmC46Ln.jpg
1440p - https://i.imgur.com/ZauKx0t.jpg
4k - https://i.imgur.com/1EAvas7.jpg

^ View them full-screen and you'll see the UI elements (buttons, icons, quickbar at the bottom, map at the top-right, etc) shrink because they're rendered at a fixed pixel size (and not say a percentage of the available pixels), so the more pixels you throw at them, the smaller such things get (unless you also increase the screen size to maintain the same ppi). This is why "more is better" is not always true for many old games that render the UI / sprites, etc, at a fixed pixel width / height. Of course you could render them at 1080p and upscale, but 1080p content upscaled to 4k doesn't always look as good on a 4k monitor as it does natively on a 1080p monitor without scaling (even with pixel perfect / integer scaling).
Post edited February 04, 2022 by AB2012