It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TrueDosGamer: Again this request is not specifically for me but if there are any Windows 2000 or XP specific titles that have not yet become available on GOG's store "those" titles would be nice for GOG to acquire from Steam to be made DRM free if they already aren't able to run without a CD check or needing to be logged into Steam.
AB2012: I don't think that's how it works. If GOG wants games they have to negotiate directly with the publisher (owner of the games) not another distributor. The only thing Valve can sell GOG is the rights to redistribute its own "Made by Valve" games (Portal, Half Life, etc) that are usually Steam exclusive. The biggest problem for a lot of retro-gamers is a lot of old games aren't available anywhere legally (including Steam). Where's Lemmings, Dune, etc? Same place as No One Lives Forever - stuck in "legal limbo" often as a result of a defunct developer either never being acquired before it goes out of business, or its new owner simply being uninterested in reselling old games. Or for many older sports / racing titles, a license to use a car or soundtrack expiring (eg, you can't buy Outrun 2006 anywhere due to expired Ferrari license). I'm also sure this is why GOG doesn't have many old racing / sports games involving real licensed teams.

As for XP, Galaxy actually dropped support before Steam did. Offline installers should still work fine, though there are some discrepancies vs "pure original" disc rips. Eg, old 90's point & clicks these days GOG includes as ScummVM releases. No problem as it still supports XP, however, if you want it running under "pure" MS-DOS (or even DOSBox without ScummVM), then they might lack the .exe compared to say a zip file on an "Abandonware" site.

Just curious though, what do you mean by "XP only" games? I know that's the 2001-2007 DX8-9 era stuff but I can't say I own a single game from then that runs only under XP and not W7? To me the most awkward time period for old PC gaming on modern hardware is between 1993-1995 where there were a few games releases as 16-bit Windows 3.1 titles that both won't run under 64-bit OS's (that dropped 16-bit support) but simultaneously also aren't MS-DOS apps that would otherwise natively under DOSBox. That stuff has been way more difficult to run under W7 than say NWN (2002), FEAR (2005) or Oblivion (2006) released during the XP era.
ABC lots of great titles you mentioned I haven't even tried but would if GOG had them. I might have to buy those off eBay as that's usually the best way to get them unaltered if GOG doesn't have it yet. I wouldn't get them off Steam if I had to choose between DRM or no DRM. But yes they still would have to contact the head honcho but maybe they could still do a dual deal so any user who bought the game on Steam could then get the same on GOG without repurchasing is what I meant. All the legalities are just fluff we shouldn't be dealing with as there's always another guy you have to get onboard in order for it to happen. For myself it's easier to buy it off eBay if possible then wait around if it's in limbo as you say. ;) And one game that I've been wanting them to add for the longest is Elite Force 1. I still don't get why they can't get that game on here. I'm sure non Trek people will like it. I liked it more than Quake 3 and it used the same engine. But yeah all those licensing issues really are a pain in the ass. Here's hoping GOG gets some of these down the road eventually...

Yeah I have no list of what "XP" only titles work that won't in Windows 7. I don't use Windows 7 as a daily driver to give you that info and I haven't been "heavy" on the retro gaming or gaming in general for quite some time. Just stockpiling my knowledge making every newest generation of Intel CPU and chipsets work with XP as a security buffer to run all XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 future games all on one system. Better to have the best equipment than hunt for old gear that overheats and eventually dies. In other worlds don't use XP on a single core Pentium 4 as your retro system. I'd use that for Windows 98SE and DOS only.

One day maybe 10 years from now I might be the only one capable of running XP on some 16 or 32 Core monster they release and having a blast running these games. But even now the i9-9900K octacore is already a beast that you probably won't see much difference if any in performance. Unless you got some ideas of what game other than Crysis can really max out an XP system to its limits I might give it a try and see how it fairs.
Post edited December 15, 2018 by TrueDosGamer
Maighstir: I'm thoroughly annoyed that neither Steam nor Galaxy work on Macintosh System 7 or Amiga Workbench 3.
Fate-is-one-edge: You don't need Galaxy to play the games, contrary to Steam. It's DRM free.
You can download everything, patches included, as backup installers, from the GOG.com site.
Only the MP section of a game needs the GOG Galaxy client.
Not that any of the games run on Macintosh System 7 anyway (at least without getting an emulator from elsewhere, but I don't know how good software-only solutions were for Macintosh in the early 90's - I know DOS compatibility cards were released for the Macintosh, but then you weren't running much on the Macintosh hardware anyway). A couple GOG releases might be Amiga ROMs run through emulation, so those would work on an actual Amiga.
TrueDosGamer: -words-
It isn't a problem of being too technical; rather I just think you're being too verbose. Using far too many words to say what should be simple things.
TrueDosGamer: -words-
Darvond: It isn't a problem of being too technical; rather I just think you're being too verbose. Using far too many words to say what should be simple things.
Usually comes with the territory. Less said on topics of lesser knowledge/experience. But this is XP related. To each their own.
Fate-is-one-edge: You don't need Galaxy to play the games, contrary to Steam. It's DRM free.
You can download everything, patches included, as backup installers, from the GOG.com site.
Maighstir: Not that any of the games run on Macintosh System 7 anyway (at least without getting an emulator from elsewhere, but I don't know how good software-only solutions were for Macintosh in the early 90's - I know DOS compatibility cards were released for the Macintosh, but then you weren't running much on the Macintosh hardware anyway). A couple GOG releases might be Amiga ROMs run through emulation, so those would work on an actual Amiga.
Might very well be as you mention.
Personally I do know of a relevant case.
That is, the "Sam and Max Hit the Road" release on GOG.com uses the "ScummVM" program.
Post edited December 15, 2018 by Fate-is-one-edge
Maighstir: Not that any of the games run on Macintosh System 7 anyway (at least without getting an emulator from elsewhere, but I don't know how good software-only solutions were for Macintosh in the early 90's - I know DOS compatibility cards were released for the Macintosh, but then you weren't running much on the Macintosh hardware anyway). A couple GOG releases might be Amiga ROMs run through emulation, so those would work on an actual Amiga.
Fate-is-one-edge: Might very well be as you mention.
That is, the "Sam and Max Hit the Road" release on GOG.com uses the "ScummVM" emulator.
ScummVM isn't an emulator though, but a rewrite of the SCUMM game engine (many game engines actually, though it started with SCUMM).

Also note that my original reply was done in jest, I fully understand that they don't support 25-years-old operating systems.
That is, the "Sam and Max Hit the Road" release on GOG.com uses the "ScummVM" emulator.
Maighstir: ScummVM isn't an emulator though, but a rewrite of the SCUMM game engine (many game engines actually, though it started with SCUMM).

Also note that my original reply was done in jest, I fully understand that they don't support 25-years-old operating systems.
I couldn't have known that. Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah, I was insinuating compatibility with the up-to-date version of the OS.
ScummVM isn't an emulator, but a rewrite of the SCUMM engine (many engines, actually, but it started with SCUMM, hence the name, ScummVM).

Regardless, note, that my first reply here was in jest. I don't expect them to support 25-year-old operating systems (unless they change their mission statement to say so).

EDIT: Slow posting?
I thought my reply didn't get through,
so I typed it again, and now there are two.

It's probably just the fact that it ended up on a new page, but I'll let the rhyme stand.
Post edited December 15, 2018 by Maighstir
I do have this PC card for a MAC that looks like it was an official Apple product. It was either an 80386 or 80486 CPU in it with Sound Blaster support I believe emulated through the Mac OS. Never installed it yet but I assume some people had to have both MAC and PC software running like MS Office so only one computer was needed.

As far as old school Mac color games I only recall playing Test Drive 2, Tetris, SimEarth, Warcraft 1 and 2 I think was about exciting there was from the old CompUSA days. PCs dominated all the games even though some weren't that great sounding. Colors Macs weren't too well known for their gaming prowess as titles were pretty sparse walking over to that section of the store. The were a bit more games for the B/W Classic Mac early on like Loderunner, Ancient Art of War, and the legacy Sierra games but being monochrome it really was a shame that they didn't start out with the Color Mac as that might have propelled Mac ahead of the PC as a gaming platform. Mac sound effects were superior until the Sound Blaster arrived. Best stuff was during the Apple II days when they actually had a huge library of decent games. No backwards compatibility for Apple II games pretty much sealed the Mac's fate as a gaming machine.

Kickstarter? :) The Amiga 1000 games would be a treat to have on GOG. Too bad it wasn't C64 backward compatible. Marble Madness never looked better on a computer screen and was jaw dropping how arcade accurate it got. Prince of Persia 1 was almost nearly identical to the PC version. It's a shame there are lots of great titles still not on GOG and probably never will.

A bit more retro would be if some of these indie game makers decided to release the old big box versions like in the old days we could physically hold in our hand and a real physical CD/DVD or diskettes inside.

Maighstir: ScummVM isn't an emulator though, but a rewrite of the SCUMM game engine (many game engines actually, though it started with SCUMM).

Fate-is-one-edge: I couldn't have known that. Thanks for clarifying.
I knew that but that's why it's funny but you probably missed it since you weren't aware of these other operating systems for non IBM PCs. These were probably around before you were born kind of information. But it was funny how you responded.
Post edited December 15, 2018 by TrueDosGamer
Maighstir: ScummVM isn't an emulator, but a rewrite of the SCUMM engine (many engines, actually, but it started with SCUMM, hence the name, ScummVM).

Regardless, note, that my first reply here was in jest. I don't expect them to support 25-year-old operating systems (unless they change their mission statement to say so).

EDIT: Slow posting?
I thought my reply didn't get through,
so I typed it again, and now there are two.
It must be increased data traffic, overloading the servers, due to the winter sale.
And maybe that the new net assets/changes/features are not test-proof yet.
No problem.
^_^

They don't support Mac OS 9 either, even if it's latest release isn't even 20 years old yet. Mac OS X, OS X, macOS, whatever, have nothing in common with 9 and lower, beyond the similarity in name and a couple user interface elements.

Microsoft have used the same basic executable format (portable executable) since Windows NT 3.1, and as such modern Windows releases can still run some applications from 20-odd years ago unchanged.

:-P
Post edited December 15, 2018 by Maighstir
jonridan: Windows XP is still around? Daaaaaaaaaaaamn... I know some of it's users don't like Vista, or 7, or 8, and 10... But to still keep on using an OS from 2001? I understand if you need for a very specific piece of software, but that only goes so far. Is like running a business with no telephone number or email. If it's not for business' reasons, then there is no excuse to being so obsolete. Get a Windows XP like distro, get a Mac (older models are not that expensive and are more supported than Windows XP), or just get Windows 7 (the lesser evil of the MS OSs of today). Gaming is too related to technology going forward, you can keep your old PC for the specific games that don't run well today, but you can't expect companies to keep supporting Windows XP (yes, even GOG... the idea is to make games work in current OSs, not support old ones).

Just my two cents.
TrueDosGamer: I think you're confusing age with obsolesce. For Apple Macs I'll have to agree you just can't use an older Mac Model as they force it that a newer OS won't install. Then the web browser's won't upgrade because your OS is too ancient.

Now the case of XP it can be installed even on a relatively modern machine such as Ivy Bridge 2012 and runs fine on it without issue. Step forward to 2018 almost 2019 I'm running XP even on the latest Intel i9-9900K octacore. XP's amazingly fast already on a quadcore but a Coffee Lake octacore it's like a Lamborghini engine in a 69 Vette or if you want inside K.I.T.T.

Next pop in a nVidia Titan X 12GB video card and you can pretty much play any XP game like it was on crack. But aside from that why not go further and make it XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 all on one system and get the best of all three Worlds? That's what I do. No one builds a system for just one OS do they? If that's what you're doing then you're severely limiting yourself and need to step it up.

What is it you're worried can't be done in XP? I'm not quite sure how your business with no telephone number or email analogy comes from. Firefox up to v52.9 still works fine on Youtube videos in 1080P and 4K and every site including GOG here works except for the glitchy freebie issue I encountered that got fixed just using Opera. Plenty of video and sound cards around that work and network cards aplenty can be bought on eBay or Amazon even today. USB 3.0 cards also exist. You just have to know where and what to look for which isn't hard. In 2 more years XP will officially become the first retro OS to hit 20 and still be usable in the modern day and on modern machines. Life is Great. One day they'll try to kill Windows 7 support on Steam and make it Windows 10 only. The only reason they haven't is because they have to kill off the older ones first. But if XP support removal was never a consideration they wouldn't even consider touching Windows 7 and getting rid of it. But with no revolt that's how they get you sooner and Windows 7 is next on the chopping block now.

I agree there's no harm in making a game work in a newer OS. But often times you'll find that the game made for XP will run best natively on XP and much faster, less glitchier, and without compatibility issues. In some cases it just might be too incompatible to run in Windows 10 or just too buggy even if they managed it somehow that it is unplayable. Or maybe the game developers no longer have the source code so it can't be recompiled and optimized for Windows 10 and that'll be the best experience you'll get. So choose the best experience on an i9-9900K octacore in XP or a possibly buggy one in Windows 10 which might even run laggier. Which one would you prefer?

That's my nickel.
Regarding the telephone and email, it was just an example of "not getting with the times".

As for XP, specifically, there is Direct X, new APIs, DLLs, and security holes in the OS structure that can't be (or MS doesn't want them to be) fixed. So yes, the OS is obsolete. You can do a lot of things on XP, even today, but it is not as secure or efficient as a newer OS like Windows 7. And 20 years in technology is light years. Just because a car from 1941 still works doesn't mean is suitable for everyday driving. Yes, XP was built like a tank, and that's the reason even today it really does work, but there are things it wasn't supposed to do, and some of those things were "added" later like a sort of Frankestein's monster of updates and added new security holes. I would love to go back to Windows XP, but half the software I use doesn't even work there. If the companies that make software don't support that OS (unless you use older version of their software which they no longer provide support for) then you can't realistically keep on using it. I'm not against having an XP installation, like you said, multiple OS is a normal thing, but if that's the case then you can just use it for what it works and what doesn't work you just use the other OS... there wouldn't be people asking for stuff on XP. I am talking about people using only XP here. And like a previouse chart showed, almost no one still uses XP (or 8/8.1 by the way). Both of those OSs should be just removed from support by any company and use those freed assets to improve support on the OS most people use (7, 10 and freaking Linux... yes, Linux has more users than XP and 8/8.1... at least on Steam). Smaller companies can't keep support for that many OS and they have to draw the line somewhere... a 20 years old OS seems like a nice place to do it. We are talking about an OS that, at least in my country is old enough to drink, drive, work and live on it's own. Is a freaking lifetime.

Age sometimes IS obsolecence. Actually, with technology, most of the time it is.
Maighstir: They don't support Mac OS 9 either, even if it's latest release isn't even 20 years old yet. Mac OS X, OS X, macOS, whatever, have nothing in common with 9 and lower, beyond the similarity in name and a couple user interface elements.

Microsoft have used the same basic executable format (portable executable) since Windows NT 3.1, and as such modern Windows releases can still run some applications from 20-odd years ago unchanged.

:-P
Let's say we have Windows XP. The latest version of Windows XP would be Windows XP Service Pack 3.
In the case of Windows Vista, it would be Windows Vista Service Pack 2.
In the case of Windows 8 it would be Windows 8.1 e.t.c..
The latest Windows OS would be Windows 10.

How does it go for the Macintosh OS and how much different would the transition be from one Macintosh OS release to the other in contrast to the Windows OS releases?
Well speaking of Mac: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5953-QTIO-1764

and again as always seems to have to be stated whenever this is brought up no support would be needed if the DRM was removed. As for the security excuse the companies are happy to sell these games and never fix the vulnerabilities in the software and even when they are lazy and use 3rd party libraries they can't be bothered to update those either and people seem to be happy with that but removing DRM so people can use the software they purchased on the OS they bought it for, that's crazy talk.
Post edited December 15, 2018 by DosFreak
TrueDosGamer: I knew that but that's why it's funny but you probably missed it since you weren't aware of these other operating systems for non IBM PCs. These were probably around before you were born kind of information. But it was funny how you responded.
Yes, and I am sure there are plenty of things you missed and probably will miss as well, since they happened and will happen a lot of years after you were born/concerned. It's funny you found this worth of debating.
It probably wouldn't be worth your time explaining and now I am wondering why it was worth my time replying.