It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For We Are Many
by Dennis E. Taylor
The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle
Without Remorse

Tom Clancy

Much much better than the abomination of the same name on Amazon Prime.
Now reading Loba negra (The Black Wolf) by Juan Gómez-Jurado.
"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas" by Jules Verne
François Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel.
Grimmelshausen's Simplicius Simplicissimus. So far a great, one-of-a-kind book. Very influenced by Spanish picaresque novels. The author truly blends lessons worth paying heed to, with adventures and light humour. Might do without some of the most jaded wordplay and peasant humour. Especially with fart jokes (if you love those, this book is for you). A very nice reading nevertheless, with very short chapters that always encourage grabbing hte book anytime.

I forgot to mention, set in the frame of the Thirty Years War, with endless suffering for the population. To put it in game terms: "War... war never changes".
Post edited August 08, 2021 by Carradice
Le Cri by Nicolas Beuglet
Reading Aquitania (Aquitaine) by Eva García Sáenz de Urturi.
William Gibson - "Burning Chrome"
Finished the Dragon's Crown manga. I'll probably be reading Invincible next, since I have the first 3 volumes from a previous bundle. (and yes, I already watched the animation)
JakobFel: Currently finishing up The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski, the first collection of short stories in the Witcher series. I love the games but the show was actually what inspired me to read the books and I'm glad I am. They're absolutely brilliant, Sapkowski is a genius.
Ditto. I loved how the tv series was respectful with the original material, while taking advantage of the possibilities of the medium to present the stories in a different way, for the better of it.

cose_vecchie: François Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel.
I have been thinking about reading it. Please post if you happen to enjoy it.

viperfdl: Currently I'm reading / viewing the Battle Chasers comics.
I found that the story of the nice computer RPG Battle Chasers seems to happen after the comics. Very much as the game The Witcher starts after the books.
Carradice: This figure happens all the time, especially in American films & tv series (but not only American). Since they include it all the time, they probably have a name for it. If you or anyone knows, I would appreciate to hear about it. Also about other techniques of visual language in films and tv.
OliverBagshaw: Hi, I know what you mean, and I imagine that editors may have a specific term for it, but when it comes to writing screenplays, I'd personally refer to it as simply connecting images. From one action to another, we find the similarity in the brushing of teeth to the polishing of shoes - the brush.
Man, I see it all the time now. I wonder if in the future it will be regarded as a gimmick of this era :)
Post edited August 14, 2021 by Carradice
cose_vecchie: François Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel.
Carradice: I have been thinking about reading it. Please post if you happen to enjoy it.
The work is comprised of five books; I'm about halfway through the third and, so far, I'd say that the first book is very very good, the second is wonderful, while the third is a bit of a letdown, especially coming after the first two - I find it a bit dull, although it seems to be getting better along the way. I'll post my final impressions about the work as soon as I finish it, so stay tuned - it won't be soon though, as it is quite long.

Carradice: Grimmelshausen's Simplicius Simplicissimus. So far a great, one-of-a-kind book. ...
Hey, I read that last year, in this same period, more or less. I agree, it's a great book! Wonderful reading - with some reservations, that I'll discuss later, together with Rabelais, after you've finished it.
JakobFel: Currently finishing up The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski, the first collection of short stories in the Witcher series. I love the games but the show was actually what inspired me to read the books and I'm glad I am. They're absolutely brilliant, Sapkowski is a genius.
Carradice: Ditto. I loved how the tv series was respectful with the original material, while taking advantage of the possibilities of the medium to present the stories in a different way, for the better of it.
I absolutely agree. The show had its fair share of critics but I think they did a great job adapting the books. Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen a truer adaptation from book to film with the exception of PJ's LotR trilogy and even those changed some stuff.
Carradice: I have been thinking about reading it. Please post if you happen to enjoy it.
cose_vecchie: The work is comprised of five books; I'm about halfway through the third and, so far, I'd say that the first book is very very good, the second is wonderful, while the third is a bit of a letdown, especially coming after the first two - I find it a bit dull, although it seems to be getting better along the way. I'll post my final impressions about the work as soon as I finish it, so stay tuned - it won't be soon though, as it is quite long.

Carradice: Grimmelshausen's Simplicius Simplicissimus. So far a great, one-of-a-kind book. ...
cose_vecchie: Hey, I read that last year, in this same period, more or less. I agree, it's a great book! Wonderful reading - with some reservations, that I'll discuss later, together with Rabelais, after you've finished it.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I will get back to you when I finish Simplicius.
Carradice: Ditto. I loved how the tv series was respectful with the original material, while taking advantage of the possibilities of the medium to present the stories in a different way, for the better of it.
JakobFel: I absolutely agree. The show had its fair share of critics but I think they did a great job adapting the books. Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen a truer adaptation from book to film with the exception of PJ's LotR trilogy and even those changed some stuff.
Very true and a fair comparison.
Post edited August 15, 2021 by Carradice