It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When we started our journey 15 years ago, one of our most important goals was to do our best to preserve games and make them last forever. Allowing video games history, once-loved gems, to be lost in time, is something we cannot just stand and watch – we fight, for current and future generations to be able to enjoy games; all games, not just the newest, popular releases. Today, we stand proudly by our mission, and we’re extremely happy to announce the re-release of a cherished classic that, thanks to our efforts, has been successfully archived in the GOG catalog, to enjoy anew.

Alpha Protocol is back – better than ever, with a -10% launch discount until April 3rd, 2 PM UTC!

That’s right, this Alpha Protocol, the Espionage RPG, is making a grand return 14 years after its initial premiere. With conjoined forces of GOG, Obsidian Entertainment and SEGA, we’ve made sure to make it better than ever; compatible with modern PCs, with licensed soundtrack and performance improvements that are sure to make this timeless classic, yet again, your favorite spy story.

But that’s not all we have up our sleeves, of course! For this incredibly special occasion, we’ve prepared a one-of-a-kind documentary video, where the process of bringing back Alpha Protocol is extensively explained – including interviews with its creators, as well as our own team members. You can watch it below!
GOG.com: Alpha Protocol is back – DRM-free, for modern PCs! Watch the documentary video on the process of its revival
BreOl72: Holy maccaroni...well done, GOG!

Btw: I get that you're proud of this achievement, but...(attachment)
i saw that yesterday and i just laughed:

EVERY game is just alpha protocol.
Is stealth completely broken for anyone else? The game's supposed to have the usual fare of getting suspicious, searching etc before getting spotted. But for me I get a pixel of myself spotted and every guard in the level knows where I am and elects to come kill me without even hitting the alarm. Also upgrading Awareness bugged it out and rendered it literally unusable, activating it just flashes the icon and that's it.
Sarang: I guess this means it is very likely we could see "Condemned" and its sequel brought back to PC through GOG.

I also hope this means we have a chance at getting the Shin Megami Tensei games. At the very least they could try releasing "Catherine: Full Body" here.
I also think the Sega PC label would be good to see with "House Of the Dead" or "1000 Swords".
UCrest: I wish we could see and have Condemned or the Shin Megami Tensei saga. I'd even like to see some of Sega's 90's titles on PC again. For example, one of their car racing games originally released for the Arcade or even a re-release of the classic Golden Axe. If there's one thing Sega has as a company, it's a huge catalogue of games...
sign me up for original golden axe, please.
MMLN: Looks like hell froze over somewhere... a very pleasant surprise. Congratulations GOG *cheers*

But now you managed that few of us started to have crazy expectations to see NOLF, NOLF2 and Dune (by Cryo) being the next additions :P
yeah. count me in the dune (cryo) pile.

do want.
KiluKahur: Is stealth completely broken for anyone else? The game's supposed to have the usual fare of getting suspicious, searching etc before getting spotted. But for me I get a pixel of myself spotted and every guard in the level knows where I am and elects to come kill me without even hitting the alarm. Also upgrading Awareness bugged it out and rendered it literally unusable, activating it just flashes the icon and that's it.
If it stays true to the original release, the bugs will be wild and amazing. Also, the only stealth option available was the silenced pistol hits. Everything else was not stealthy at all.
Hell yes Alpha Protocol!
KiluKahur: Is stealth completely broken for anyone else? The game's supposed to have the usual fare of getting suspicious, searching etc before getting spotted. But for me I get a pixel of myself spotted and every guard in the level knows where I am and elects to come kill me without even hitting the alarm. Also upgrading Awareness bugged it out and rendered it literally unusable, activating it just flashes the icon and that's it.
honglath: If it stays true to the original release, the bugs will be wild and amazing. Also, the only stealth option available was the silenced pistol hits. Everything else was not stealthy at all.
Yeah, rather counter-intuitively to "an espionage RPG" subtitle (though there isn't even that much of an espionage themes to begin with), this was never meant to be a stealth game and these mechanics feel half-assed at best.

My last two playthroughs were 100% hand-to-hand combat and it was really fun way to play this game. Perks that give extra resistance and slow-mo make most boss fights a breeze (including the infamous Russian) while still being somewhat challenging and feeling less lame than the pistol build.
high rated
Swedrami: Also another stark reminder of better times when the proverbial as well as literal ballsacks of writers and narrative designers weren't put in and often downright crushed by the ESG/DEI vices.

Or can you remember a similar scenario in another (recent) game where one of the possible romantical encounters has the player character getting (considerately) raped by an ex-Stasi Brünhilde-like mercenary?
Not necessarily for shock factor or for the sake of it, but because, in the context of the circumstances, and what happened between both parties leading up to that moment it just made sense for that to happen.
oh boy.

eye. roll.
d-s_n: I'm trying to buy the game, but it doesn't let me... is this game not available in Japan?
Apparently, not.

Sarang: I guess this means it is very likely we could see "Condemned" and its sequel brought back to PC through GOG...
UCrest: I wish we could see and have Condemned or the Shin Megami Tensei saga. I'd even like to see some of Sega's 90's titles on PC again. For example, one of their car racing games originally released for the Arcade or even a re-release of the classic Golden Axe. If there's one thing Sega has as a company, it's a huge catalogue of games...
Really hoping for Condemned. And some of those older titles wouldn't hurt, either.
Massive props and massive thanks to GOG and all other parties involved to preserve this gem! Looking forward to see what comes next, we sure have started the year off with some bangers!
(edit: I can imagine some forum members taking offense to some things I wrote below. I'm just theorizing and not interested in arguing, though I understand if you still want to offer a rebuttal of sorts)

In the vein of what some others have said, I hope GOG does similar work with more games, both not on GOG yet of course, and already on the store (suggestions on how to afford to do so below).

If it becomes common, GOG could create sub-branding and a tag in the store.

Condemned has been mentioned; I'm not expecting GOG to do full-on porting of Condemned 2, but if somehow that happened (like if GOG could afford to actually port it) or C2 was emulated but included a program and pre-made setup for mouse + keyboard control, I'd totally support that in theory. A Condemned 1 + 2 bundle would be great, whether GOG does it or more realistically Night Dive or a similar company does. (But if GOG did it and got it for at least temporary exclusivity, that could help to bring new people to the store of course.)

But there are other games much higher on the Community Wishlist that could benefit from similar work. For example, Spec Ops: The Line which was recently removed, though this is less anticipated so I'd be more understanding if GOG just cuts the music out instead. Similar to my Condemned 2 suggestion above, if GOG could somehow emulate Silent Hill 1 but include acceptable m+kb controls, and if all the legal stuff could be taken care of, getting Silent Hill 1-3 onto the store would be a massive get.

And of course convincing Ubisoft to let GOG preserve and sell more of their games here - a desire that's nothing new though. :P (EA and Ubi)

Also, I wouldn't inherently be opposed to GOG creating improvements for games already on the store, and - to pay for the work done - selling the improvements as DLC (with a discount for people who already own the game) or including the fixes but upping the base price of the game, or both. edit: Selling like a "(game name): (current year) Edition" with the improvements over the original release already on GOG, and a discount for those who own the original version of the game. I realize this is basically charging for patches and might upset a large chunk of people, but personally I'd be in favor of it as a way to continually ensure GOG games work well and of course GOG would need to get paid for the time and effort they would put in to the work.
Post edited March 22, 2024 by tfishell
streetyson: ....But no, you guys just resuscitate yet another agent/ops rpg-shooter, and not even one that actual players gave very high ratings to at the time. Sales did poorly and Sega admitted the game hadn't met expectations and pulled out of doing a sequel. At best it could be called a flawed gem - except what's being revived here is not a remaster to fix the flaws but mainly a rejig for new OSes with a new soundtrack. Game geeks can argue it was an interesting title in terms of Obsidian & genre-development but unless you're totally remastering it's not one worth all that worth playing today because of all the many other titles out there that inhabit the same territory.

Come on guys, show some bloody imagination. Don't you have anyone there over 25?
You should really watch the video.
They achieved a great feat by bringing one game back. Sometimes it's just not possible to legally bring something back, Alpha Protocol was one of the more unlikely candidates.
I'm very glad they resurrected it and I'm not even a great fan.

There is value in trying to preserve art and this was a very successful effort and I congratulate everyone involved. Development is hard. Very hard.
But combined with the efforts of licensing and the game being a bit of a flop in the first place, this challenge is almost herculean.
Nice really great release! Have never played but heard many good things about the game. Glad now i will be able to play it in the best version and be able to keep it for good
Sarang: "i love gog and DRM free", "But me personally am A steam user, if its not on steam then I don't really care"

Those statements conflict with each other. You say you love DRM free but will only buy on Steam. Is this what is called a sock puppet account?

edit: Judging by your game list I hope it stays on GOG as you ended up buying "Diablo" here. One more sale to help GOG.
LunaRosalie: no exclusives are bad, I support consumers freedom to buy where they want, I loved gog because their motto was to reach as much people as possible with the Witcher series and cyberpunk, i think DRM free is extremely good for consumers that want it. but doing if they locked some exclusivity to this my respect dwindled a bit.

I'm a steamdeck user and I'm not downloading a ton of hoops to get something running i only use steam OS mode im not using desktop mode and flying through hoops for something that doesnt even have a native linux client, I would like to play my games on my platform of choice on my device of choice, its not that hard.

You can buy somewhere else and still support someone else's methods of doing something. Despite steam being DRM I much desire a DRM free option, and I would rather publishers publish games everywhere to reach audiences that fit peoples needs. Again like someone said before I prefer the steam eco system, especially being super linux friendly and proton as well as steamdeck. you prefer gog for your reasons, I would rather see the game everywhere to reach everyone.

Steam spends their funds on stuff like proton and linux support which I find extremely beneficial just like i respect GoG for keeping things preserved, just so you know if They actually made a linux clinet I might be more inclined to buy on GoG but still would prefer releasing it everywhere.
Look I appreciate Steam supporting Open Source OS work but GOG NOT having exclusives prevents eyeballs on it and people even giving it a chance. Steam is the heavyweight in the room and GOG having a little leverage in DRM free by having an exclusive that could put MORE pressure on companies to give us more DRM free with an audience who comes here for Alpha Protocol and others. I hate putting it this way but as a stauncch advoccate of being DRM free and the ease of access it grants, supporting Steam is like asking someone to kick me in the face and thanking them for it. I will support Steam as little as I can.
I plan to get a Steamdeck to PLAY GOG games, possibly even running Windows and maybe another OS besides SteamOS as well. That being said I know they are breaking even or making a little money. I prefer to buy that over the non-OLED Ally and the battery guzzling I have heard. The Chinese handhelds don't even cross my mind because I don't trust them.
high rated
Well done, GOG Team. To paraphrase the classic: "You did the impossible and that makes you mighty".

Now the next impossible mission: No One Lives Forever 1 & 2! ;-)
If you managed to get a game from SEGA, you can do that too, even if it will take time (and I imagine you have been looking into this already) - it will be worth it, as always.
Post edited March 21, 2024 by perkusista1982