It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
phaolo: Question: is GOG going to add "online-only multiplayer games" or also "online-only single (+multi) player games"?
Because I could (begrudgingly) stand the first type, but IMO the second one's SP should be converted to DRM-free or bust.. :\

Also, is GOG fine with microtransactions, lootboxes, and similar practices?
Clownski_: We're looking after different online-only games including free-to-play and premium titles - all while still being committed to our approach mentioned in the OP. Once we have more details to share about specific releases, we will let you know.
So we will see in the future Diablo Immortal and Overwatch 2 from Blizzard on GoG instead the GoG Team trying to get Publishers like PlayStation, Namco Bandai back again in publishing their Games on GoG instead?.

What a bright future for your CD Project Red Investors, i am sure they all are happy about it with all those MTX cuts that GoG might generate through that in the near upcoming future ;-)
Sanuku: So we will see in the future Diablo Immortal and Overwatch 2 from Blizzard on GoG instead the GoG Team trying to get Publishers like PlayStation, Namco Bandai back again in publishing their Games on GoG instead?.
Don't forget an even more obvious "classic" game: Fortnite. The previously discussed partnership with Epic and a separate store on Galaxy looks really chilling now.

By allowing games admitted to be "not" DRM-free, the sky (or is it, bottomless abyss?) is the limit as to what will be accepted as there is essentially nothing keeping games out. So much for being a "curated" store, even!

I am really curious if the release of Skyrim was a concession on Bethesda's part in return for Wolfenstein: Online Territory coming here and paving the way for Elder Scrolls Online/Fallout 76 here or the like.

By the way, this is a good time to note I am not shaming those who own/play these games. I just don't see how online games make sense on a DRM-free store, but as mentioned earlier, it is hard to make sense of this place.
GOG.com: Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.
SimonZephyr: You just justified all kinds of DRM releases with that. Hitman 2016 can basically enter the fray because you can somewhat justify it as a multiplayer game because all the elements that involve player created contents. Or, you can just mark it as whatever and let us "decide whether [we] want to play them."
Think that's what everyone's worried about. That they will pull another Hitman. But they did say MP games that are to be played with other. Which hitman is still single player game with online connection all the time.

So for now we have to take there word for it. Just make sure to keep eye on gog in future.
Clownski_: We're looking after different online-only games including free-to-play and premium titles - all while still being committed to our approach mentioned in the OP. Once we have more details to share about specific releases, we will let you know.
Sanuku: So we will see in the future Diablo Immortal and Overwatch 2 from Blizzard on GoG instead the GoG Team trying to get Publishers like PlayStation, Namco Bandai back again in publishing their Games on GoG instead?.

What a bright future for your CD Project Red Investors, i am sure they all are happy about it with all those MTX cuts that GoG might generate through that in the near upcoming future ;-)
Why should it be not compatible? Anyway those "pulishers" use to be masters or DRM. I would be more concerned with those publishers here than with multiplayer only games like Enemy territory Quake Wars, Killing Floor or Red Orchestra.

But Whatever, I pass. As usual the overreaction and hate about everything is the norm.It is always the worst scenario
rjbuffchix: By the way, this is a good time to note I am not shaming those who own/play these games. I just don't see how online games make sense on a DRM-free store, but as mentioned earlier, it is hard to make sense of this place.
You should. People with no scruples who participate in and encourage (which are the same) screwing over their fellow gamer, these people should be shamed for their part in making things worse for everyone.
Acceptable as long as it really means online only mulitplayer games and not single players must be online because, well because.
Syphon72: itch.io sells DRM steam games. ZOOM to small to know how they will turn out in future. But anyways great post
MarkoH01: You can get every itch.io game DRM-free afaik ... you might sometimes get an ADDITIONAL Steam key though.
It's rare, but sometimes you only get a Steam key. Check Syberia 3 for example.
MarkoH01: You can get every itch.io game DRM-free afaik ... you might sometimes get an ADDITIONAL Steam key though.
PaterAlf: It's rare, but sometimes you only get a Steam key. Check Syberia 3 for example.
Yes, thank you. I have been told a few times in this thread already. It was my mistake - I really though itch.io games were always DRM-free.
This would be a good adition to GOG tbh, as long as they keep what they mean by online only multiplayer games and not online only single player (I am looking at you HITMAN).

Games like Warframe, FF XIV and Destiny 2 would help GOG to gain more attention and sales.
Well another try.

How are you frogs feeling in the warm water?

Syphon72: GOG knows going DRM like steam will kill them. The back lash from hitman was so bad, news sites were talking about it.
Yes, the new approach to have that ist introducing it gradually in doses and redefining what "DRM free" means for them.

Just drip-feeding it, bit by bit.

Have fun.
Post edited October 21, 2022 by coffeecup
[Modded - inappropriate.] demanding the store now be filled with wall to wall lootbox / pay2win / 3rd party account saturated trash:-

JakobFel: I'd love to see RuneScape, The Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76 here. Not sure if you can get any of those but I'd love to have them here!
Runescape - All versions require a RuneScape account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Free-to-play, Subscription, Microtransactions, Boost (Pay2win), Cosmetic, Currency, Infinite spend, Loot box, Free-to-grind, Time-limited.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RuneScape

The Elder Scrolls Online - All versions require a The Elder Scrolls Online account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Subscription, Microtransactions, Cosmetic, Currency, Infinite spend, Loot box.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online

Fallout 76 - All versions require a Bethesda.net account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Subscription, Microtransactions, Boost (Pay2win), Cosmetic, Free-to-grind, Unlock
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_76

Kamunra: Games like Warframe, FF XIV and Destiny 2 would help GOG to gain more attention and sales.
Destiny 2 - This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization = Free-to-play, Microtransactions, Boost (Pay2win), Cosmetic, Loot box
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Destiny_2

Final Fantasy 14 - This game requires a Square Enix Account and constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Subscription, Microtransactions, Cosmetic, Unlock, Boost (Pay2win), Free-to-grind, Infinite spend.
[url=https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn]https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn[/url]

Warframe - All versions require a Warframe account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Free-to-play, Microtransactions, Boost (pay2win), Cosmetic, Currency, Infinite spend, Free-to-grind.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Warframe

What the hell went wrong with this place? Above is exactly the kind of garbage people came to GOG to get away from in the first place! Rather than try and convert GOG into "The worst of Steam Lite Edition", for those who just can't get enough of their double-DRM'd, compulsory 3rd party launcher, Lootbox saturated Grind-fest pay2win "games", why didn't you just buy them on Steam / Battle.net already without any fake pretense of DRM-Free being "meaningful"?

It's like watching a bunch of people who loudly and proudly declare they haven't bought meat from a supermarket but then start demanding a vegetarian store they claim to "support" stock up on half-rotten steaks "as long as they label them clearly" with apparently zero sense of self-awareness...
Post edited October 22, 2022 by Clownski_
I was going to make a post about this news article and the last news article which is linked in the OP. Both endorse DRM on gog.

I thought I would just check gogs home store page first though.

Sure enough, I can no longer see any claim that gog store is a DRM free store.

Buyer beware from now on, folks.
ListyG: It's like watching a bunch of people who loudly and proudly declare they haven't bought meat from a supermarket but then start demanding a vegetarian store they claim to "support" stock up on half-rotten steaks "as long as they label them clearly" with apparently zero sense of self-awareness...
^ I simply cannot like this comment enough, and that truly is the perfect analogy. I was trying to find the same words to respond to those now demanding subscriptions, lootboxes, pay2win mechanics and 3rd party accounts (on a DRM-Free store, directly because of Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory) but gave up due to lack of any polite word in the dictionary existing for that sheer level of 'stupid'...

Good question though - why didn't these people just buy the Battle.net / Square Enix / Steam version already? We're told it's here because of "freedom of choice" and yet everyone here who wants DRM'd games already had (and still does) the 'freedom of choice' of being able to shop at more than one store all along...
As long as games are labeled accordingly, it's not a bad thing.
JakobFel: I'd love to see RuneScape, The Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76 here. Not sure if you can get any of those but I'd love to have them here!
ListyG: Runescape - All versions require a RuneScape account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Free-to-play, Subscription, Microtransactions, Boost (Pay2win), Cosmetic, Currency, Infinite spend, Loot box, Free-to-grind, Time-limited.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RuneScape

The Elder Scrolls Online - All versions require a The Elder Scrolls Online account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Subscription, Microtransactions, Cosmetic, Currency, Infinite spend, Loot box.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online

Fallout 76 - All versions require a Bethesda.net account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Subscription, Microtransactions, Boost (Pay2win), Cosmetic, Free-to-grind, Unlock
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_76

Kamunra: Games like Warframe, FF XIV and Destiny 2 would help GOG to gain more attention and sales.
ListyG: Destiny 2 - This game requires a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization = Free-to-play, Microtransactions, Boost (Pay2win), Cosmetic, Loot box
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Destiny_2

Final Fantasy 14 - This game requires a Square Enix Account and constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Subscription, Microtransactions, Cosmetic, Unlock, Boost (Pay2win), Free-to-grind, Infinite spend.
[url=https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn]https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn[/url]

Warframe - All versions require a Warframe account and a constant internet connection for all game modes. Monetization - Free-to-play, Microtransactions, Boost (pay2win), Cosmetic, Currency, Infinite spend, Free-to-grind.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Warframe

What the hell went wrong with this place? Above is exactly the kind of garbage people came to GOG to get away from in the first place! Rather than try and convert GOG into "The worst of Steam Lite Edition", for those who just can't get enough of their double-DRM'd, compulsory 3rd party launcher, Lootbox saturated Grind-fest pay2win "games", why didn't you just buy them on Steam / Battle.net already without any fake pretense of DRM-Free being "meaningful"?

It's like watching a bunch of people who loudly and proudly declare they haven't bought meat from a supermarket but then start demanding a vegetarian store they claim to "support" stock up on half-rotten steaks "as long as they label them clearly" with apparently zero sense of self-awareness...
GOG is a business and businesses must make money. As much as I detest the notion of the MMO-trap that captures lots of users into entirely emotion-driven payment transactions("Oh I just HAVE TO HAVE that latest exclusive what-have-you"), I must consider that such things exist because they are real-world revenue sources. Some MMOs spawned from old school DRM-free games, A.K.A. "Warcraft", "Elder Scrolls", "Fallout", etc., which would make them the most sensible to add to GOG, in my opinion. I, also, believe that GOG is one the best curators to handle the decision process of which MMOs are fit for consideration for true gaming preservation.
I, personally, question the new stream of NSFW games, but to each their own and GOG makes clear warning anytime such a game's page is being accessed, to identify it as such. If GOG can maintain the standard of commerce and community fulfillment with which it started, as it grows its MMO base, I see no reason to stifle GOG's continued profits, just to please a limited user set.
All of that said, I think GOG may benefit from having an end-user setting that controls how MMOs and DRM games are shown in game listings, with an option to exclude them, entirely, set as default.
This is just my opinion. I do not believe yours is any less vallid than my own. You make good points. I am only trying to consider the larger picture.
Post edited October 22, 2022 by Clownski_