It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
high rated
i don't mind online games coming to the store, what is infuriating is single-player content locked behind "internet connection required"
high rated
MarkoH01: In my opinion GOG continues to fail to know their core customer base. They want to grow their customer base and get those who normally use Steam, Epic, online only games and whatnot ... but they don't realize that they simply can't get both.
The thing I don't really understand also is : why ?

If it was dead MMOs that they bring back to life then I could understand, but the cost of doing so wouldn't be viable in the long run.

And if it is modern online-only game, nowadays most of them are F2P, a lot of them have their own client, so I don't really see the added value for Gog or its customers to bring those games here. Or is it just a way for Gog to try to get a cut from those games micro-transactions ?

Or is it, best case scenario IMO, just to prepare peoples for CDPR bringing here a couple more of online-only Witcher / Cyberpunk games.
MarkoH01: In my opinion GOG continues to fail to know their core customer base. They want to grow their customer base and get those who normally use Steam, Epic, online only games and whatnot ... but they don't realize that they simply can't get both.
Gersen: Or is it, best case scenario IMO, just to prepare peoples for CDPR bringing here a couple more of online-only Witcher / Cyberpunk games.
I think your opinion is spot on.
Syphon72: itch.io sells DRM steam games. ZOOM to small to know how they will turn out in future. But anyways great post
You can get every itch.io game DRM-free afaik ... you might sometimes get an ADDITIONAL Steam key though.
I never said that Zoom or even itch would be a big competition for GOG, I simply said that they would love to fill the niche GOG is willing to leave.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by MarkoH01
Just another DRM-ed brick in the wall.
huppumies: This sounds like a convoluted way to just re-release Hitman without modifications.
Clownski_: We're talking exclusively about fully online-only titles, such as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory that was released today.
Will you also host MMO? Or will it be ARK, Fortnite, ...?
high rated
As it's presented with games specifically designed for an exclusively multiplayer experience, it seems fine with me, especially in cases where players can host their own servers.

If this gets anywhere near my single-player experience a la Hitman 2016, I'm out.
Syphon72: itch.io sells DRM steam games. ZOOM to small to know how they will turn out in future. But anyways great post
MarkoH01: You can get every itch.io game DRM-free afaik ... you might sometimes get an ADDITIONAL Steam key though.
I never said that Zoom or even itch would be a big competition for GOG, I simply said that they would love to fill the niche GOG is willing to leave.
Are you sure? I remember finding couple games I wanted from them that only had steam keys. Maybe I'm wrong. I understand now sorry about that.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Syphon72
Will be interesting to see where this all leads....

I am not a big online shooter or MMO kinda player. I detest the Free to Pay model, that sucks all my kids allowance money away vs. just buying a complete game with a narrative.

At least a few of my kids realized that instead of buying battle passes and other nonsense, they could buy like a hald dozen full on games that don't require a bunch of hoops to jump through to just sit down and play.

One of them even picked up my old SNES and was blown away that they can just stick a game in, turn it on and play right away with no loading screens!

But I digress: More variety is great for everyone.
DRM is not something I love. I much prefer getting games here so I can freely use them on different devices in our home and that I can more or less have some ownership of the games I buy here.

I have loved the inclusion of Indie Titles here and I hope maybe this move gets a little income flowing so they can bring over more of the games we enjoy.
Clownski_: Completely understandable. That's why online-only games will have an appropriate tag and will be marked as such on the game page. It's only up to you whether you want to play them or not!
WinterSnowfall: In the case of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, I'd argue the online-only term is a bit harsh, since you can play it in LAN. Or am I missing something?

In my book an "online only" multiplayer game is dead if the service that hosts said "online only" multiplayer dies. Any game that comes with LAN multiplayer is exempt from the term, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.
Wait a minute, you might be on to something:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/wolfenstein_enemy_territory

Can someone confirm whether you can play this game on an LAN without an internet connection?

If so, it is technically be drm-free (via LAN), just multiplayer-only (although a self-hostable server is even better imo).

Also, if so, what would possess them to label that online-only? Are they trying to deliberately shoot themselves in the foot with their core audience?
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Magnitus
high rated
hmmm

ultimately i dont reall mind if GoG starts to offer MP-only games for those that want them.

But on other hand it really brings some scary precedent for more "DRM bullcr*p" on GoG .
And i fear it opens a backdoor excuse amd way for the annoying stuff like online-only SP sneak into GoG and return of Hitman without having proper offline progression. and similar games with online-locked SP content.
WinterSnowfall: In the case of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, I'd argue the online-only term is a bit harsh, since you can play it in LAN. Or am I missing something?

In my book an "online only" multiplayer game is dead if the service that hosts said "online only" multiplayer dies. Any game that comes with LAN multiplayer is exempt from the term, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.
Magnitus: Wait a minute, you might be on to something:

Can someone confirm whether you can play this game on an LAN without an internet connection?

If so, it is technically be drm-free (via LAN), just multiplayer-only (although a self-hostable server is even better imo).
Testing it out now and will get back to you.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, if so, what would possess them to label that online-only? Are they trying to deliberately shoot themselves in the foot with their core audience?
I see the option to host dedicated LAN server and lets me start it disconnect from the internet. But I can't join the game because I'm host machine.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Syphon72
Well, if there's one thing GOG proved over their years is that they're true to their commitment with DRM-Free games.

Sometimes we need to remind them of their values, for example, when they've been called out after publishing Hitman with DRM and removing the game afterwards.

I don't think multiplayer only games here on GOG would be a bad thing, even if there's some kind of DRM into it. All that GOG needs to do is create a "separate" section for those games and make it clear that they won't influence our beloved DRM-Free titles. GOG needs the money after all, things are not so great for them.

Just my 2 cents.

I summed it up here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_wolfenstein_enemy_territory_for_free_with_dedicated_gog_servers_and_bethesda_halloween_sale_66b07/post53
Syphon72: I see the option to host dedicated LAN server and lets me start it disconnect from the internet. But I can't join the game because I'm host machine.
I have 2 Windows machine here (technically 3, but my spouse is away with one of them atm). However, my plane is leaving tomorrow night and I got to prepare. I'll try squeezing it in, but I can't promise anything.

Ah, thanks a bunch :)
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Magnitus