It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
high rated
bring Dark Sun Online please.
high rated
Fair enough if you truly mean this message. In that, it will never ever affect your DRM free approach with offline single player games.
high rated
It is good to see you being up-front about this.

I will say I do understand as many more modern games have an online component of some form which does create an issue as to where the line can be drawn.

When you bring an online game here just please do your best to ensure it does not require any forced components that would be deemed DRM.
high rated
I expected this since CD Projekt hinted that they would be looking into more online games like Gwent, and frankly GOG wasn't 100% DRM-free ever since. Plus, there was always people unusually asking GOG to host stuff like Runescape, Final Fantasy XIV, and so on. At the end of the day, I only play single-player games anymore, so if this somehow helps GOG land more, bigger single-player games DRM-free, I'd be okay with it. I would still much prefer that GOG look into solutions to keep live-service games around after their 'expiration date', like simplified tools made available to the end user to host private servers.
Edit: Another question is if this is going to include free-to-play titles with in-game transactions or premium titles, and how such purchases would be handled, including refunds.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by SCPM
I am in favor of GOG offering online-only games; however, that will not be a worthwhile premise unless GOG works out a way to make the GOG versions of those games feature functioning Crossplay with all the other platforms that those games are on (i.e. Steam, EGS, Uplay, etc.)

GOG-only multiplayer has never been, and is still not, viable because the GOG customer base for multiplayer games is not large enough.

So, GOG, can you please commit finally to fixing the problem that most multiplayer games on GOG do not feature Crossplay even though they very desperately need it.

If that was added to the announcement in the OP, then it would truly great news. But without a committing from GOG to Crossplay, then this news become downgraded to meh IMO.

And that much-needed Crossplay commitment needs to apply to all GOG games that have multiplayer functionality, including, but not just, "online-only" games.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
high rated
GOG.com: ...
The thing I am not sure to understand is : what are we calling "online-only" games ?

Does it mean that GOG will release GWENT 2.0, CyberGwent and Cyberpunk Multi-player, etc... and other CDPR online-only games on Gog.

Or doesn't it means that tomorrow, LostArk, WoW, Genshin Impact, Destiny 2 will be "sold"/available on Gog ?

If it's the former I don't care, I can understand that CDPR want's to use Gog infrastructure for their own games.

But if it's the later I am honestly not really convinced it's a good idea, I can only see it becoming confusing and a lot of push back against it.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Gersen
Great. You took the first two steps and properly identified that these games are DRMed. Now take the next and declare that that means they have no place on GOG and shouldn't be in the catalog here. When I'm shopping on GOG, I should need to spend zero effort to know if a game is DRM-free or not: It should be assumed that it's 100% DRM-free if it's on GOG.

Make yourself a sister-site. Heck, make it use all the same behind-the-scenes systems. But don't dump DRMful games on GOG.

Of course, this announcement is entirely "we're bringing you more DRM, and you're going to like it you unwashed plebs". And that's disgusting, and entirely how Neu GOG works.

Yes, this includes removing that stain called Gwent. Which no one with any amount of logical processing capacity would have allowed to be here in the first place.

Multiplayer, properly done, is also DRM-free.

Of course, you're also already writing update #7 that "single player games designed with online only functionality at their heart are an important experience for some gamers".
We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences.
No, you can't. Because those people can go basically anywhere else and stumble over plethora of DRMful options. Meanwhile, the rest of us literally have extremely limited options. Why are you again throwing your core away to cater to people who don't give any care, are known as a fickle audience, and really can't be served by you in any special way?
Post edited October 20, 2022 by mqstout
high rated
I am happy for the people who want this but for me i just want single player DRM free games.
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Snip.
Online-only games on GOG will have a functioning crossplay with other platforms.
Clownski_: Online-only games on GOG will have a functioning crossplay with other platforms.
Could you please correct this to say "online-only games, since they have DRM, have no place here and will not be on GOG" instead?
Post edited October 20, 2022 by mqstout
high rated
I don't have a problem with actual multiplayer-only games being here and requiring a connection - but I am wary this is a back door to excuse things like the Hitman 2016 online requirement. That is not a multi-player game and there is no justification for it requiring a connection.
high rated
I don't play online-only games but if I want to I just get it on Steam. That way I don't have to install another launcher in Galaxy.

Besides it's cheaper and have more player base there.
high rated
Clownski_: Online-only games on GOG will have a functioning crossplay with other platforms.
mqstout: Could you please correct this to say "online-only games, since they have DRM, have no place here and will not be on GOG" instead?
Your feedback is appreciated, however this is not our approach towards online-only games. I encourage you to check the update on our commitment to DRM-free gaming, back from March.
aluinie: I am happy for the people who want this but for me i just want single player DRM free games.
Completely understandable. That's why online-only games will have an appropriate tag and will be marked as such on the game page. It's only up to you whether you want to play them or not!
Post edited October 20, 2022 by Clownski_
That's all I want to know: I refounded worms WMD because of that, since I couldn't play a single online match, as well as other games, but I already had fun with the singleplayer on them, so I was ok with that.

Multiplayer games are in a continuous evolution, so you'll have to adapt your refound policy for microtransactions and free to play games, if they will ever land here.