It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pretty much all turn based RPG games....I hated them for years then 2 games kind of changed me for ever!!! one been Darkest dungeon the other been Persona 5 !
Had to play Sky Force Reloaded for some work, and wasn't expecting to enjoy it at all. I played shmups ages ago, enjoyed Raptor, and years later tried stuff like Ikaruga due to its popularity, but I had kinda given up on the genre, and didn't expect much from it.

Sky Force Reloaded is incredible amounts of fun :D. The core shooty shooty gameplay is addictive, so you don't even mind all the extra upgrade mentality, and in another game it might have been called grinding, but since I actually enjoy the gameplay, it's loads of fun.
I don't tend to buy games I'm not at least somewhat interested in, if not very interested in, so the only game I can think of is Race the Sun which I got as part of a humble bundle and completely ignored it thinking I'd never play it as it's not a genre I'm interested in, until one day I was browsing my various libraries looking for something a little different and installed it to try only to find it's really fun and I loved it.
Telika: Rutles
+1!!
Metal Gear Solid

Part of it was because it was just old fashioned console wars- there was no way this PS1 game could be the best game ever when that title obviously belonged to the N64 and Ocarina of Time. But I also thought that the whole idea of a 'stealth' game where you pretty much lost if the enemy even saw you sounded stupid.

Then I got a PS1, and a demo disc with the MGS1 demo. And I played it... and it ended on a fascinating cliffhanger. And I had to find out how that cliffhanger resolved... and I've been obsessed with the franchise ever since. And have completed pacifist runs of even stealthier stealth games like Thief and Deus Ex (and Silent Assassin runs of most Hitman games).

Ocarina is still better, though.
Post edited July 30, 2018 by BlackMageJ
PoppyAppletree: Arcanum. Maybe Amazon advertised it terribly, but I was completely put off buying it. Nearly a decade later I played it and loved it.
I purchased it when it released and got to navigate all the buuuuuugs. :|
Still one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West. I don't like jumping games, don't like action games, and don't like games based on books that I've read and enjoyed, so it took a few more reviews than it should have to persuade me to give it a shot. It's a great game, a good story, and the characters are recognizable despite the completely different setting.
low rated
Darvond: SaGa 3

I was expecting the same random number, random meat, random plot revelation nonsense that the previous two games had, and I had interest in Legend of the Holy Sword (SD1). So it turns out maybe putting an action RPG on the Game Boy has some issues, but SaGa 3 with actual level ups and a sensible progression system, plus the ability to make your entire team into killer robots was pretty awesome.
I actually, for yeals, felt that SaGa 3 (original, not DS) just didn't have the depth that the previous games had, and while I still think that's true, having learned more about the game, I get to see more strategic depth that I used to. With that said, random battles are a bit uninteresting, especially later when you can one hit kill most enemies with petrification, or win battles with two all-enemy-target spells.

With that said, I think the progression system of SaGa 3 isn't as interesting as that of SaGa 2; on the other hand, SaGa 2's growth system, for humans and espers, is just too slow. (If you want to beet the game fairly quickly, the best parties to use are those containing only robots and monsters, since they don't suffer from slow growth.)

Incidentally, SaGa 3 did get a (Japan-only) DS remake that got rid of XP and instead used a system where attributes grow by actions and where weapon and magic skills level up by use. I found that remake to be enjoyable, with the exception of the way encounters were handled; I would consider it to be worse than the original, actually. (Visible enemies that move in real time, and late game they move faster than you, so you can't avoid combat without stopping time.) It's also worth noting that, unlike in the original, in the remake you can eventually reach the point of wiping out entire endgame enemy parties with one spell (instead of needing two), even on hard mode.
Hm interesting question, can't think of many really...

Oxenfree maybe. Really not a fan of side scrolling games, and the "teen-talk" in the beginning made me want to quit it pretty fast, kept playing though and enjoyed it quite a lot in the end. Not anywhere near my favourites but a very decent experience. Just thought it might have been a lot more creepy if it was in First Person ;)
Out of this World.

I just did not like the look. For Christmas I got the SNES version of the game (thanks to my brother) which I did not know about until I peeked at my gifts before they were wrapped. I rolled my eyes and thought, "This game? Damn." At the time I remembered reading about it in EGM or Gamepro. Anyway, I was blown away by the game, and it turned out to be one of my all-time favorite games.
Since the OP never specified it had to be computer games, Cribbage.

I thought it was a bullshit gimmick game built on speed. I WAS WRONG.
Portal and Portal 2.

I'm not big on first-person, *definitely* not big on platforming, and only so-so on puzzles, so I thought it would be a swing and a miss for me. My brother in law insisted that I try it, and Portal 2 is now one of my favorite games ever.

(Portal 1 is no slouch, either).

Too bad we'll never see them on GOG ...
Shadow Man. The cover looked boring. No special features were advertised. Never heard of any recommendation. Then I played it and it had such sights to show me... Best game ever.

Painkiller. Reviewers say it´s just a dumb shooter, kinda poor man´s Serious Sam. After playing it I realized that shooting all enemies is just a small part of the game. The art style of the levels is inspired by the painter Zdzislaw Beksinski, and you have to explore the levels thoroughly in order to get all secrets and items. It´s like wandering through bizarre paintings.
Oddeus: Shadow Man. The cover looked boring. No special features were advertised. Never heard of any recommendation. Then I played it and it had such sights to show me... Best game ever.

Painkiller. Reviewers say it´s just a dumb shooter, kinda poor man´s Serious Sam. After playing it I realized that shooting all enemies is just a small part of the game. The art style of the levels is inspired by the painter Zdzislaw Beksinski, and you have to explore the levels thoroughly in order to get all secrets and items. It´s like wandering through bizarre paintings.
Funny. Those are two games I was ecstatic about until I started playing them and the slowly started really not liking them.

Painkiller got kind of repetitive and the gimmicky jumping crap to get up on objects, into tight places, got really annoying.

Shadowman, I just couldn't keep track of where the hell I was! :P Of course I tend to get lost in most games. My sense of direction sucks.
tinyE: My sense of direction sucks.
As long as you're not like these guys.