It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
high rated
Contrary to most, I'm asbolutely fine with online only games... provided they are clearly labeled as such have no predatory microtransaction. Or macrotransaction. Or any shady transaction in general.
BreOl72: But please: make it VERY CLEAR on the games' pages, if a game requires an online connection to be played/enjoyed.
my name is grompy catte: This!

It needs to be completely and utterly unmissable, because for years we have been able to assume that anything sold here is DRM-free. If you're going to have games which don't fit that criterion then they need to be more clearly marked than the current Wolfenstein example.

I'd propose going as far as to use a different store page colour scheme or something to differentiate this "separate category".
Question: could you put up a screenshot that shows how the page to "Wolfenstein: ET" looks like?
The game seems to be region locked, therefore I can't see how exactly they mark the "online only" games.

Much appreciated!
high rated
Fair enough. Bringing multiplayer games that allow hosting your own server/games/direct IP connections here without requiring Galaxy is fair game. That is pretty much what DRM-free multiplayer is and there's no reason for old games' multiplayer to be exclusive to something like Steam.

But hopefully this doesn't mean that any random multiplayer game will start appearing here.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by idbeholdME
high rated
It's not that I object in theory to GOG selling online games (as long as they are clearly kept as a 'separate category', which frankly I'm dubious about), but... what's the point? The lack of DRM is pretty much GOG's only major selling point these days, and that's clearly impossible with an online-only game, so why would anyone buy those here rather than anywhere else? Not trying to attack anyone for this decision, just genuinely wondering.
GOG.com: Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that.
Missing Blur PC (you could make dedicated servers).
Contra Multiplayer ?

There is a difference between online only and online multiplayer included games.

Title of this topic intensively suggesting total online experience. I`m in for reactivated multiplayer in old games plus some new online-only additions. Please keep in mind keeping games forever and reactivate more online multiplayer in our games. e.g. great stuff with Aliens vs Predator. To the space! ^
Post edited October 20, 2022 by user deleted
Clownski_: working internet connection.
This is ambiguous. Clarify please. There's discussion in the release thread on this.

If it requires a working Internet connection, it's not DRM-free. But if it works for multiplayer on a couple computers in a home together without the Internet (without any outside servers required), then it's DRMful. People are comparing this to UT, which function without external servers (one player starts a server on the network).
Thank you for clarification. Rumors on GOG's multiplayer games' track have been here for very long.

What I ask: GIVE US PROPER FILTERS in the games catalogue, please. I want to filter "single player" feature, "multiplayer" feature and "multiplayer completely DRM free" feature. (*)

It should really be easy to add a filter like this, shouldn't it?

((*) The "completely" could mean, the server code is open source, like with Descent 3, for instance. But it should not mean "split screen available, but network multiplayer has DRM")
Post edited October 20, 2022 by dadiddy
DebbieL: what's the point? [...] why would anyone buy those here rather than anywhere else?
Two reasons I can think of:

1) Drawing new customers to GOG.
2) Binding existing customers (who have an interest in these games) to GOG (otherwise they'll wander off to the competition).

Edit: exchanged "gamers" with "customers".
Post edited October 20, 2022 by BreOl72
Clownski_: We're talking exclusively about fully online-only titles, such as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory that was released today.
Is this true also for games which have both single and multi player, but where the multiplayer is arguably the main mode (for example, fighting games)? I guess in those cases you might still want the entire single-player component accessible DRM-free, and the online will be "as long as it's available", or something.

This might too much of a borderline scenario to answer fully in a comment, though.
Enebias: Contrary to most, I'm asbolutely fine with online only games... provided they are clearly labeled as such have no predatory microtransaction. Or macrotransaction. Or any shady transaction in general.
Same, if it can bring extra dough to actually finance improvements on the offline installers instead of taking resources away from it, it's good, though to be honest, I won't buy them (and as long as it is clearly labelled so that I don't, it's fine).

Only thing that nags me:

"Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are."

Can we mention somewhere that DRM-free multiplayer is actually a thing and that GOG should make an effort to support it whenever possible?
mdqp: Is this true also for games which have both single and multi player, but where the multiplayer is arguably the main mode (for example, fighting games)
I thoroughly enjoy a good fighting game, and rarely play with others, which is the occasional couch play. The Soul Calibur games [console 2-5], for instance, had great single-player content and are feature-rich without touching multiplayer. Tower mode, settable difficulties, etc. (Which is one of the things held against Absolver and how it gates a bunch of its content through required online multiplayer, even for single player content. I.e., the game has DRMed single-player.)
Post edited October 20, 2022 by mqstout
high rated
my name is grompy catte: This!

It needs to be completely and utterly unmissable, because for years we have been able to assume that anything sold here is DRM-free. If you're going to have games which don't fit that criterion then they need to be more clearly marked than the current Wolfenstein example.

I'd propose going as far as to use a different store page colour scheme or something to differentiate this "separate category".
BreOl72: Question: could you put up a screenshot that shows how the page to "Wolfenstein: ET" looks like?
The game seems to be region locked, therefore I can't see how exactly they mark the "online only" games.

Much appreciated!
It's got the "standard" warnings, but I think GOG should do a bit more to differentiate this "new category".
Attachments:
BreOl72: Question: could you put up a screenshot that shows how the page to "Wolfenstein: ET" looks like?

Much appreciated!
my name is grompy catte: It's got the "standard" warnings, but I think GOG should do a bit more to differentiate this "new category".
Thank you!

And yes - I agree...some colour added to that warning would go a long way.
Maybe the warning written in white on red background, or something like that...just something that "pops out" a little more.
BreOl72: I have no problem with that.

Options, and the possibility to choose, are always good.
Then you could have peoples starting saying that they could start selling games using Denuvo and simply indicate it like Steam does. It would just be one more possibility to chose from.

idbeholdME: Fair enough. Bringing multiplayer games that allow hosting your own server/games/direct IP connections here without requiring Galaxy is fair game. That is pretty much what DRM-free multiplayer is and there's no reason for old games' multiplayer to be exclusive to something like Steam. But hopefully this doesn't mean that any random multiplayer game will start appearing here.
That's the thing that is not clear at all and the reason I asked what they meant by online-only games. Whenever it means more CDPR online only games, older games without single player that are modified to work using Gog server / dedicated servers, or if it means that all "games as a services" modern online only games will start appearing here.
high rated
As talked about in the Enemy Territory release thread:
The game should be classified as multiplayer-only.

Online-only would suggest that the game wouldn't function at all when disconnected from the internet.

Multiplayer-only simply means no single player content.

I am fine with multiplayer-only, but online-only would be kind of pointless on GOG.
Post edited October 20, 2022 by idbeholdME