It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello again! In this GOG 2022 update, we want to talk about online games and their place on GOG. Many great titles designed to be played with friends are not available here, and we want to change that. For us, it is crucial that we explain our thoughts on introducing more online games and better understand how you feel about it.

GOG was founded as a place to preserve games and make them last forever. We believe in freedom of choice and are committed to developing GOG as a gamer-first platform where you can collect and play the games you love – from all-time classics all the way to modern hits.

For the last 14 years, we’ve built a catalog for various tastes: for those who want to (re)discover classics, the fans of CD PROJEKT RED games, for people who love unique indies and exceptional single-player hits. We’ve also added GWENT: The Witcher Card Game to scratch that itch for multiplayer online games. Introducing more online-only games on GOG will help us cater to the needs of our growing audience, who are seeking a broader range of games, which will also allow us to continue our efforts to make games last forever.

Many of you already enjoy playing online titles, while some might question “since online-only games require an internet connection, how is this DRM-free?”. It is not – online-only games that are designed to be played with others are a separate category of games.

Rest assured this will not influence our DRM-free approach. GOG will remain the best platform for single-player DRM-free gaming, with a dedicated approach to classics and game preservation – something that’s at the very core of who we are.

Going forward, online-only multiplayer games will be marked as such on the game page – it’s up to you to decide whether you want to play them.

We’re happy and proud of the value we are creating for you to enjoy single-player games on GOG. We believe we can also bring new, unique value to those of you seeking online-only experiences. We’re eager to listen to your feedback on that in the comments.
I don't think GOG should bother with these games and rather strive for more DRM-free releases of such games. What about LAN? How about working with the developers to remove an account/online requirement where it is not really necessary? And please don't confuse "online-only" with "only multiplayer" (LAN-capabilities are a beautiful thing).
Leave the online-only stuff to other stores. Be different again! You can only stick out if you are.
Wurzelkraft: I don't think GOG should bother with these games and rather strive for more DRM-free releases of such games. What about LAN? How about working with the developers to remove an account/online requirement where it is not really necessary? And please don't confuse "online-only" with "only multiplayer" (LAN-capabilities are a beautiful thing).
Leave the online-only stuff to other stores. Be different again! You can only stick out if you are.
to transform an online multi mode into a lan requires investment and therefore a lot of money. Not financially profitable because you have to be honest the buyers on gog are a minority and therefore in the end if gog has to do as you say, they will lose money.
Zero interest in multiplayer. Not bothered about having MP games in GOG. Play as you like.
Carradice: Zero interest in multiplayer. Not bothered about having MP games in GOG. Play as you like.
I believe that my multiplayer playing time is around a 1% and in its majority it was long time ago. A Matter of each gamer's habits, indeed, but are you sure you never played some nighty games like Tzar or Imperium multiplayer with your other town's friend?
Carradice: Zero interest in multiplayer. Not bothered about having MP games in GOG. Play as you like.
I have zero interest in single-player racing games, so should GOG add DRM'd single-player racing games to the catalogue?
mrkgnao: I have zero interest in single-player racing games, so should GOG add DRM'd single-player racing games to the catalogue?
But that is a logic fallacy.

You are assuming that a multiplayer game is DRM by definition.

Anyway I believe, just for your own words in the past, that your corcerning about DRM or lack of it is zero
Gudadantza: I believe that my multiplayer playing time is around a 1% and in its majority it was long time ago. A Matter of each gamer's habits, indeed, but are you sure you never played some nighty games like Tzar or Imperium multiplayer with your other town's friend?
Sure, I just clearly said that I have no interest in those games. Not that I wasn't interested in the past.

Also I wrote that having MP games in GOG does not bother me. Apparently some people are for some reason.
Post edited October 23, 2022 by Carradice
Gudadantza: I believe that my multiplayer playing time is around a 1% and in its majority it was long time ago. A Matter of each gamer's habits, indeed, but are you sure you never played some nighty games like Tzar or Imperium multiplayer with your other town's friend?
Carradice: Apparently some people are for some reason.
I have a couple of theories about that. One good, one bad :D

Greetings
Does this mean we'll finally get Quake: Enhanced?
high rated
I don't yet see an online-only filter for games. I guess none is up yet. I would like to see what games GOG is referring to before I make up my mind. Many online-only games are F2P anyway, and it would seem rather pointless to "sell" them on GOG.

Still, the main conflict I see is between online-only and "preserve games and make them last forever". Online-only games tend to die. Online components of games tend to die. If GOG is going to work with publishers in a way that will allow people to legally keep servers up even after official support is down, then I'm all for it. If it's just "we're going to sell these games with DRM because people like them" then I feel it's a major departure for GOG and would make people question the future of DRM-free games.
JunglePredator: So... Steam with out all the advantages of Steam?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaper9988: Mhhh, I didn't read anything about a forced client.
(For single player games and such which I care about.)
This is the thing the doomsayers don't get is that multiplayer-only games require internet because... They're multiplayer-only. New games are, unfortunately, not made with LAN support.

HONESTLY, I don't expect much in the way of support here, simply because the esports and MMO people are already entrenched in their platforms. However, as long as GOG doesn't stop bringing quality single-player games here, I don't care one way or the other.
Gudadantza: You are assuming that a multiplayer game is DRM by definition.
Well if you read the OP then apparently Gog does consider those game as not being DRM-free. But however from a purely "technical definition" point of view you are right that that it is not a DRM, in the same way that game streaming or even, if it removed the online activation part, Denuvo wouldn't be either.

But still there is the technical definition and what peoples expect on Gog, Hitman was technically "DRM-free" when released here, however a lot of peoples, myself included, considered that the amount of content locked behind an online requirement was too much for the game to be released "as is" on Gog.

There is also the issue of Gog communication IMHO that doesn't help, in march they made a big deal of "going back to their roots", how they heard their community, of their new found re-commitement to DRM-free and game preservation, etc... etc...

And then, six month later, they say "By the way we will start releasing online only games from now on, we know it's not DRM-free but who cares, by the way DRM-free and game preservation rules!" you can understand why some peoples might be confused about it.

Especially as, following the great "Gog School of Communication™" , they didn't include any examples or clear explanation of what those always online multiplayer games would be, whenever it would be Quake wars, Fortnight or just Gwent 2.
Post edited October 23, 2022 by Gersen
Gudadantza: You are assuming that a multiplayer game is DRM by definition.
Gersen: Well if you read the OP then apparently Gog does consider those game as not being DRM-free. But however from a purely "technical definition" point of view you are right that that it is not a DRM, in the same way that game streaming or even, if it removed the online activation part, Denuvo wouldn't be either.

But still there is the technical definition and what peoples expect on Gog, Hitman was technically "DRM-free" when released here, however a lot of peoples, myself included, considered that the amount of content locked behind an online requirement was too much for the game to be released "as is" on Gog.

There is also the issue of Gog communication IMHO that doesn't help, in march they made a big deal of "going back to their roots", how they heard their community, of their new found re-commitement to DRM-free and game preservation, etc... etc...

And then, six month later, they say "By the way we will start releasing online only games from now on, we know it's not DRM-free but who cares, by the way DRM-free and game preservation rules!" you can understand why some peoples might be confused about it.

Especially as, following the great "Gog School of Communication™" , they didn't include any examples or clear explanation of what those always online multiplayer games would be, whenever it would be Quake wars, Fortnight or just Gwent 2.
My Standpoint is that Hitman never was DRM by definition in the state it was launched. It was at its core a single player game with single player content locked under online connection due to the special design and nature of this game, I'd say unnecessary, not a lot of special cases lke this even in modern gaming.
I do not see it like the nature of a multiplayer only game requiring an internet connection.

Well, GOG can say whatever they want, this time it will be me who relativizes their words/ideas: a multiplayer game is not necessarilly DRM, I suspect it was said in that way for the sake of simplification. It is easy to undestand and important to note via tags or new denominations if a game is multiplayer only, requiring an internet connection, as genre of some kind or not. Indeed it can be related to what this site and the tradition perceives as DRM ("offline" installer, etc ).

Basically the sense of the OP is to inform that those games will be tagged or whatever as a different concept of games. And probably, for now, they are not 100 per cent sure which ones will be exactly those future games or how they will treated.

The last part is just a guessing of mine, of course

Greetings
Post edited October 23, 2022 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: My Standpoint is that Hitman never was DRM by definition in the state it was launched. It was at its core a single player game with single player content locked under online connection due to the special design and nature of this game, I'd say unnecessary, not a lot of special cases lke this even in modern gaming.
I do not see it like the nature of a multiplayer only game requiring an internet connection.
And my point was that whenever something match or not the official technical definition of DRM is mostly irrelevant, what most peoples really care about when they talk about "DRM-free" is really "game preservation" (as in being still able to play a game if the dev goes under or stop selling it). Game streaming is not technically a DRM but it's worse than any sort of invasive DRM when it comes to allowing game preservation.

And having Gog since the beginning of the year reiterate how game preservation was important for them, how they understood that it was important for their customers too, and then having them, a couple of month later, announce that they will release more online only multiplayer games that, by definition, are nearly impossible to preserve, is sending contradictory mixed messages to say the least.
Gudadantza: My Standpoint is that Hitman never was DRM by definition in the state it was launched. It was at its core a single player game with single player content locked under online connection due to the special design and nature of this game, I'd say unnecessary, not a lot of special cases lke this even in modern gaming.
Gersen: And my point was that whenever something match or not the official technical definition of DRM is mostly irrelevant, what most peoples really care about when they talk about "DRM-free" is really "game preservation" (as in being still able to play a game if the dev goes under or stop selling it). Game streaming is not technically a DRM but it's worse than any sort of invasive DRM when it comes to allowing game preservation.

And having Gog since the beginning of the year reiterate how game preservation was important for them, how they understood that it was important for their customers too, and then having them, a couple of month later, announce that they will release more online only multiplayer games that, by definition, are nearly impossible to preserve, is sending contradictory mixed messages to say the least.
Well, what the people wants to mean when is refering DRM Free in GOG is Game preservation. DRM Free as technical standpoint is irrelevant or less important.

Ok. New rules. Assuming that everbody thinks the same, of course.

Well, whatever. I can't add nothing more.

Gretings