It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
Dalthnock: <snip>
SpiderFighter: I'm going to wait and see; it's entirely possible that their attorney has advised them to stay silent for the moment until they can figure this out. I'd still expect a "We hear your concerns and are working to address them" statement, but that is hopefully coming.
I admire your optimism, but I'm beginning to suspect lolplatypus is right, and this went exactly as intended, which would add bad faith on top of all the cardinal sins they committed, regarding customer relationship, with this new "feature".

Not even EA or Ubisoft pulled something like this. It's amazing.

Again, it's not even the screw up. It's the follow-up. They could have simply removed the number of games/achievements/hours played two days ago and THEN go into complete silence.

My friends mocked me for paying higher prices on GOG. Well, isn't the egg on THEIR faces. They should've been mocking me for being a naive dumbass internet n00b instead!
Also see this thread: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors/post1
jorlin: Actually it is, when using Cydia (hope I spelled that one correctly, couldn't be bothered to check because I don't use iOS)
xyem: Useful to know, thanks :)
You are most welcome!

Cydia does require you to jailbreak your phone however.
This is the big difference with Android which does allow you to install other browsers other than the builtin Android one and Chrome.
It's a pity that almost all of the Google stuff is rolled into the same package as the kernel itself on most commercial builds, the ones that come preinstalled by your phone supplier.
The only way to fix that is to install an alternative ROM, which may be difficult and/or void the warranty, depending on the conditions/ blocks by the phone supplier.

But this is of course off-topic, let's get back to the topic of the thread which is way too important to be ignored.
@GOG: Yes, I'm also talking to you GOG, quit this childish avoidance and give us a proper answer to our concerns already!
Post edited April 25, 2018 by jorlin
high rated
Finally! Communication!

Although this was sent to me in private, I'm sure they won't mind me sharing with everyone.

Despite being a complete and utter bastard, however, I'm better than GOG, so I blurred out the individual's avatar & username.
Attachments:
Dalthnock: Finally! Communication!

Although this was sent to me in private, I'm sure they won't mind me sharing with everyone.

Despite being a complete and utter bastard, however, I'm better than GOG, so I blurred out the individual's avatar & username.
0_o

Edit: Chewie, we need you here...
Post edited April 25, 2018 by toxicTom
RainbowDragon: It's interesting that other websites start noticing gog's latest disaster. Here was (or is but I cannot access it for whatever reasons) another page
https://www.cnet.com/news/gog-debuts-profiles-feature-users-flip-out/
It works somewhat (script & ad blockers) for me. Unfortunately the article didnt get it properly. It says:

The site's privacy policy, which was last updated in December 2017, states "any information you post publicly using GOG services (e.g. your public profile) will be publicly available to GOG users." So, in theory, GOG hasn't done anything wrong except betray the trust of its users.

Obviously not all people buying games at GOG did so "publicly" so making this (number games owned) public does not fall under the quoted part. This (number games owned) information is made public solely by GOG and not its users.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Zrevnur
antrad88: I must admit, I was not expecting this type of negative reaction. No wonder GOG hasn't made any major changes in years and looks outdated compared to other stores, people freak out over everything. I welcome this change.
You probably don't remember this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103810-Good-Old-Games-Faked-Shutdown-to-Avoid-Being-Boring

I love GOG, to be honest, but there is a history of questionable decisions motivated by genuine enthusiasm that have to walked back a bit when the people in the GOG bubble realize they didn't quite interpret the world correctly.

Right now, GOG is your best friend that does dumb things that make you do a double facepalm, but he/she still comes through in the end, because they are inept but good. That's what is keeping GOG alive. Bumbling but sincere. If GOG ever crosses the line of "bumbling but malicious" it's game over.

F@%# me sideways this is just priceless. I feel kind of humbled to stand in the middle of a fail so spectacular.

EDIT: Also - yaaay, random friend invites despite the fact that no one is supposed to find me through any friend recommendations.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Breja
For anybody wanting to contact GOG they can also use: legal@gog.com

Maybe this goes right to their legal team?

Source:

11.3 If you have any queries on your rights, contact legal@gog.com.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212632109-Privacy-Policy

Edit: URL formatting failed
Post edited April 25, 2018 by Zrevnur
Breja: The storm in here is being noticed outside, while GOG continues to ignore the situation.

Edit: also here, with a link to this very thread.
RainbowDragon: It's interesting that other websites start noticing gog's latest disaster. Here was (or is but I cannot access it for whatever reasons) another page

Google still shows:
13 hours ago - Commentary: To a gaming community that many joined as an oasis from Steam, GOG's execution of its new user profile feature feels like it's worth a ... to completely hide your profile, as well as the fact that it's opt-out rather than opt-in, and that the site announced it in a forum post (where many won't see it) ...

Several other sites seem to have reposted that cnet news item but it seems to have been taken offline by cnet.com for whatever reason...
It looks to be still online, or back online, I just checked the link and it worked for me as of this posting.

Breja: F@%# me sideways this is just priceless. I feel kind of humbled to stand in the middle of a fail so spectacular.

EDIT: Also - yaaay, random friend invites despite the fact that no one is supposed to find me through any friend recommendations.
I'm pretty sure GoG is in radio silence while legal figures this out. I also figure they ran the profile thing by legal but neglected to mention that not all information is hidden.

It might be unintentional - the mobile site does hide all user information for users with a private profile. GoG seems to have blundered with the desktop site though.
Post edited April 25, 2018 by tremere110
I have a reply from my support ticket:

Genoan (GOG.com)

Apr 25, 17:29 CEST

Hello

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We have nothing to communicate at this point, but we have forwarded your feedback to the appropriate department.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Regards
Genoan
GOG.com Support
Banjo_oz: BUT - and it's a big but - GOG's mishandling of this when we're in a climate where privacy is a huge current issue AND your customer base was originally built on people who aren't your typical "sure, why shouldn't Facebook track all my data?" users is what leads to this kind of response.

I'll stand by saying that if they'd:
a) made it opt in, not opt out
b) clearly pointed out how to change privacy settings
c) notified users in advance of this feature and got feedback on it

... then the only complaints would be us old farts who'd say things like "I'm not here for social media stuff and achievement comparing". GOG and those who *do* like achievements, etc. could safely ignore our whinging, if any, in that case. :)
xyem: (in an email sent to all users)

We know a lot of you enjoy sharing your gaming experiences with friends on GOG and we are about the make that even easier!

Next month we will be launching GOG Profiles, a one-stop shop for sharing your achievements, collection and keeping on top of those great discussions on the forums you want to be part of.

If you want to join in the fun right from the get-go, please head over to your privacy settings and set what you want shown on your profile when the system goes live, as nothing will be displayed by default. These can be changed at any time in the future, so there's no rush.. but we will miss you at the launch party :(

We've dropped a forum thread here (with links to some examples what they will look like), drop in if you have any questions or concerns!

Happy sharing!
GOG Team
xyem: EDIT: Made the formatting a little clearer, no content changes
Do you have the subject line for that e-mail perchance?
I've been searching my inbox and folders, can't seem to find it, if I had the subject I could search for that to double check. Either way thanks for posting it :)
SpiderFighter:
Got the same one at exactly the same time.
tremere110: I'm pretty sure GoG is in radio silence while legal figures this out.
That's the best way to deal with it, yes.

And if they ever blunder enough to reveal credit card numbers, addresses, real names, or other not so funny stuff, they'll also leave it up while their legal figures it out.

They can do it. Just give them enough time, you'll see. :)