It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
high rated
I'm glad you can turn them off, even if the whole thing was a shitshow. I just... have no need or desire for a profile on GOG. It was a feature that was just completely pointless for me and I very much welcome being able to turn it off (though as others pointed out, maybe make it so people need to turn it on).
Dalthnock: [...] Mr. Elcook, the gist of the feedback was pretty clear in the first couple of hours. It shouldn't've taken you guys a week to get it. [...]
HypersomniacLive: That may well be true, but it most certainly takes longer than the first couple of hours to collect reliable data about how sales are affected.
I'm sure sales weren't affected by this. We're just a tiny, minuscule, negligible, inconsequential, irrelevant handful of morons, after all.
high rated
GoG I am disappoint.

For starters, thank you for implementing the new privacy feature, it was sorely needed.
I leave internet for 1 week and come back to find this mess. I'm not one to make posts on any platform, but felt the need to speak up.
This has seriously made me reconsider my financial relationship with your company. I have a sadness.
-Valkaiser
elcook: Thanks for bearing with us for the last week, we have an important update to the GOG Profiles.

For the whole last week, we’ve been gathering feedback regarding the new feature on GOG. The news about profiles has spread across plenty of websites forums and communities, and we took our time to track all of them, and gather all of the feedback. The reception of the new feature we saw in the comments on Reddit, under different global and local media publications, as well as on social media, was really positive and this proved to us that we released a new feature that most of our users were waiting for. On the other side, some of you guys here in the forums, have felt differently about this new addition, and stated it clearly here.

At this point, we’d like to thank for all the feedback we received - the good as well as the constructive one. You bring a lot of important feedback regarding GOG, as you are very devoted to the platform, even if you're not the biggest crowd out there. And while we understand that there will be always different opinions, we definitely do not focus only on the positive mentions we come across, and always consider making changes if these changes are beneficial for the whole GOG community.

Taking it all into account, we decided to tweak a bit the Profiles settings, and add another option to the Privacy settings - from now on you can entirely turn off your profile on GOG, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This will also mean, that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Orders & Settings” options, under Privacy tab. Hope this will address your and others concerns regarding GOG Profiles.
Thanks. And while I do like the idea to fiddle with a profile for myself and some selected few I prefer the 404 error for all including myself clicking my profile if the "best of both worlds" is not possible.

But that "make it sound like gog did not fucked up" PR speech... good god *facepalm* I do not envy your job in phases like these (and no, I seriously doubt I could have worded it better with all sides breathing down my neck :P ).
high rated
Thanks for correcting this omission. The option should have been there from the get-go, but hopefully privacy will now be a part of your template / checklist for any future site changes and additions.

Oh yes: opt-in should be the norm, not opt-out.
high rated
Wurzelkraft: After all these years and added features GOG still makes the same mistakes. Every time.

Implement stuff without announcing it,
"gather" feedback (= let people talk/complain/criticize for weeks) and stay silent during this time,
apologize and alter the newly implemented feature after weeks (if at all),
repeat

In this case you kind of announced it in the forums(!) before it happened but just for the sake of announcing it. Everything was already finished and in place and all the voices and concerns were ignored until now.

Why won't you try to improve this whole "feature process"? Is it too hard to ask and consider people's opinions during a project, before launching anything?
Where is the apology? I didnt see one...
Post edited April 30, 2018 by Zrevnur
Pangaea666: [...] An extra problems arose as well. Struggled for a whole day to sign into GOG (hence the late reply) because they are leeching onto Google's privacy invasion with captcha and suchlike. Had to temporarily unblock the bastards in a separate window. [...]
HeartsAndRainbows: In some rare cases I didn't get a CAPTCHA after I changed my IP. That only worked one or twice though.

Another piece of experienced based advice for backing up your GOG library: Add some extra labels to the filenames or use additional subfolders. Some installers in different languages still have names like "setup_gamemame_en_2.0.1". I've noted the crazy GOG version numbering scheme where available, since I would never be able to retrieve (or work out) those numbers.
There seems to be a great tool under Linux (of course) that not only downloads your library for you but also adds these and other bits of information automatically. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of it because my brain is too busy remembering stuff like the names of trolls with multiple accounts, cultural information I've learned through KoL or the list of companies that have wronged me in the past and how...
Thanks. If you remember that tool again, please let us know :)

I've noticed some of these issues myself now, when mass-downloading so many files. The numbers is way off quite often, so it's impossible to know what patch is contained in which file. And like you say, some language files bear no mention of it. I happened to download the Norwegian files for The Longest Journey, and there is no mention of it. Just a generic gog_blabla_1.bin or suchlike.

Time consuming to add all downloads, especially the many goodies (not so common any more now, but it was before), but other than that it seems to be going more or less according to plan. Just wish I had a faster line than 30 mbits.

Slightly envious of my friend who works for an ISP and has a 1000 mbit line :ooo
high rated
HypersomniacLive: That may well be true, but it most certainly takes longer than the first couple of hours to collect reliable data about how sales are affected.
Dalthnock: I'm sure sales weren't affected by this. We're just a tiny, minuscule, negligible, inconsequential, irrelevant handful of morons, after all.
Not yet small enough to be completely negligible. I think this is what this test was about. Do something unpopular, wait if the ruckus dies down within a week and see if it is loud enough to affect sales. If it doesn't die down, do the minimum fixing necessary to placate the noisy part of the users and keep as much of the changes as you can get away with. Rinse, repeat.

And I agree that the part about us being a small crowd was a warning, that they aren't going to listen to us indefinitely. It basically says that they're bringing the Facebook crowd over here now and our days as critical customers are numbered.

But for now I am quite happy that we are still a big enough faction to be able to make GOG correct at least some of their intentional mistakes. Yes, GOG should never have made this breach of privacy in the first place and they still share data of unaware customers without their consent, but I don't think they are going to relent on that point without getting slammed with a court order first.
Dalthnock: It's ok guys, I speak bullshit. Allow me to translate, as well as refute some points.

elcook: Thanks for bearing with us for the last week, we have an important update to the GOG Profiles.

For the whole last week, we’ve been gathering feedback regarding the new feature on GOG. The news about profiles has spread across plenty of websites forums and communities, and we took our time to track all of them, and gather all of the feedback.
Dalthnock: Mr. Elcook, the gist of the feedback was pretty clear in the first couple of hours. It shouldn't've taken you guys a week to get it.

elcook: The reception of the new feature we saw in the comments on Reddit, under different global and local media publications, as well as on social media, was really positive and this proved to us that we released a new feature that most of our users were waiting for.
Dalthnock: Translation: We're selectively picking whatever good feedback there was.

elcook: On the other side, some of you guys here in the forums, have felt differently about this new addition, and stated it clearly here.
Dalthnock: Translation: You're few, you're annoying, and we're fed up with you.

elcook: At this point, we’d like to thank for all the feedback we received - the good as well as the constructive one.
Dalthnock: Translation: We're tired of your bullshit, but we'll call it constructive for now.

elcook: You bring a lot of important feedback regarding GOG, as you are very devoted to the platform, even if you're not the biggest crowd out there.
Dalthnock: Translation: You're really few, you're really annoying, and we're really fed up with you.

elcook: And while we understand that there will be always different opinions, we definitely do not focus only on the positive mentions we come across, and always consider making changes if these changes are beneficial for the whole GOG community.
Dalthnock: Translation: We wanted you to accept this & shut up. Why couldn't you just accept this & shut up?

elcook: Taking it all into account, we decided to tweak a bit the Profiles settings, and add another option to the Privacy settings - from now on you can entirely turn off your profile on GOG, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This will also mean, that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Orders & Settings” options, under Privacy tab. Hope this will address your and others concerns regarding GOG Profiles.
Dalthnock: Translation: There. Now shut the fuck up.

==========================================================================================

Thank you for your time addressing the issue, Mr. Elcook. We are quite thankful & humbled to be worthy of your attention, few as we are. Maybe you were too polite to point it out, but I'm sure we're really, really few & undeserving of your attention.
this is sort of how i read this, too.

oh, gog. lol.
HeartsAndRainbows: There seems to be a great tool under Linux (of course) that not only downloads your library for you but also adds these and other bits of information automatically. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of it because my brain is too busy remembering stuff like the names of trolls with multiple accounts, cultural information I've learned through KoL or the list of companies that have wronged me in the past and how...
Pangaea666: Thanks. If you remember that tool again, please let us know :)
I use lgogdownloader, that's probably what they are referring to.
Thanks for the disable profile feature.
high rated
Zrevnur: Where is the apology? I didnt see one...
I gave them too much credit apparently, heh.
Lifthrasil: And I agree that the part about us being a small crowd was a warning, that they aren't going to listen to us indefinitely. It basically says that they're bringing the Facebook crowd over here now and our days as critical customers are numbered.
The god damn meme thing about this shi+ is that the social media dumb***** don't even buy that much games or play them that much, so is GOG going to publish FtP games with extra gacha crap here?
high rated
Zrevnur: Where is the apology? I didnt see one...
There isn;t one. There isn;t going to be one.

Just curious. I;ve flipped thru the last few pages since the blue post where it was stated they received positive feedback on profiles.

I;ve seen maybe three posts saying that the profiles were a good thing, two of them here on the forums and one as a comment on one of the articles about the profiles.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this positive feedback.

edit: Seriously not trying to argue. Just curious to know if we all missed it. Every third party articles I saw (and I'll admit I only saw a few) was negative.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by drmike
high rated
Lifthrasil: And I agree that the part about us being a small crowd was a warning, that they aren't going to listen to us indefinitely. It basically says that they're bringing the Facebook crowd over here now and our days as critical customers are numbered.
dewtech: The god damn meme thing about this shi+ is that the social media dumb***** don't even buy that much games or play them that much, so is GOG going to publish FtP games with extra gacha crap here?
They'll test one out and, if it does well enough, they'll open the floodgates. Oh, wait, there's GWENT.