It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
My point on those 2 games was more that most people do not care what client the game is on. Those are 2 heavily played games, and both use their own separate clients. Fortnite using the epic client, and Overwatch using the blizz client. and of course tons of people over on Origin with the Battlefield/Mass Effect/Dragon's Age/Titanfall/Sims games.
high rated
Telika: ...It's built around this DRM-free idea, it's like a flag, an identity. But gog doesn't even know why anymore, it's just a traditional mantra. ...
I always thought DRM free is a bit more than just a peculiarity of the past; it's a niche they found themselves. One common misconception is that you cannot be successful catering to a minority group of customers. The reason you can is that while the number of customers is smaller, you also have less competition and can adapt more accurately to the needs of your specific audience. That's a least how it works in nature where for example the Galapagos tortoises not just live they way the live because it's a tradition but because it's good for them.

Say GOG would abandon DRM free, they would face immediately competition of Steam which is like 10 times bigger, can offer more service and has many more publishers on board. Big challenge that would be. I always thought this is the strongest reason to keep them away from giving up DRM free.

With their recent stunts and developments I'm not so sure anymore. They may give up DRM free at some point. Honestly, I don't care much about GOG anymore. I used to be a supporter, now I'm just a neutral observer.
I care about DRM free, standalone installers and privacy. As long as they deliver this, I'm fine, but for the future I guess that at some point they will take a wrong turn that's irreversible. That makes me sad, but what can I do? The only thing I can do is enjoy it while it lasts and voice my opinion about it.
toxicTom: ... if the "silent non-foruming non-hypersensitive majority of the customers" didn't come here for DRM-free, what then for? Why not just use Steam, when they have (by large) the bigger catalogue, better prices, more reliable infrastructure and website tools?

If you choose one store over another, you must have a reason for it. Esp. since most people seem to try to keep their libraries to as few places as possible.
You can speculate that at least in the past it was the DRM free feature and also the availability of exclusive classic games. Maybe also lots of personal recommendations of supporters of the DRM free idea.

With Witcher 2 and 3 it might have been also the wish to support the developer of the game directly.

With the new features one could guess that the availability of the client and the profile might play a more prominent role now.

In the end we cannot know without asking the majority of the customers or, should GOG give up DRM free one day, we will directly see how much customers valued DRM free.
Post edited May 04, 2018 by Trilarion
Telika: ...It's built around this DRM-free idea, it's like a flag, an identity. But gog doesn't even know why anymore, it's just a traditional mantra. ...
Trilarion: I always thought DRM free is a bit more than just a peculiarity of the past; it's a niche they found themselves. One common misconception is that you cannot be successful catering to a minority group of customers. The reason you can is that while the number of customers is smaller, you also have less competition and can adapt more accurately to the needs of your specific audience. That's a least how it works in nature where for example the Galapagos tortoises not just live they way the live because it's a tradition but because it's good for them.

Say GOG would abandon DRM free, they would face immediately competition of Steam which is like 10 times bigger, can offer more service and has many more publishers on board. Big challenge that would be. I always thought this is the strongest reason to keep them away from giving up DRM free.

With their recent stunts and developments I'm not so sure anymore. They may give up DRM free at some point. Honestly, I don't care much about GOG anymore. I used to be a supporter, now I'm just a neutral observer.
I care about DRM free, standalone installers and privacy. As long as they deliver this, I'm fine, but for the future I guess that at some point they will take a wrong turn that's irreversible. That makes me sad, but what can I do? The only thing I can do is enjoy it while it lasts and voice my opinion about it.
As i am reading this i just can't shake that gut feeling that this might actually happen at some point.As you already said,DRM-free is their main selling point for a lot of us and the only difference to Steam.They have thrown all the other principles through the window a long time ago.They are already making more money on Gwent alone.It is indeed sad to see them let go off DRM-free at one point,but we need to enjoy every moment till then.Cheers
Trilarion: Say GOG would abandon DRM free, they would face immediately competition of Steam which is like 10 times bigger, can offer more service and has many more publishers on board. Big challenge that would be. I always thought this is the strongest reason to keep them away from giving up DRM free.
^This. I doubt they could survive on the few exclusive classics they have plus Gwent.

Speaking of Gwent, I wonder if they will offer it on Steam some day. There are arguments in both directions - take advantage of the huge Steam userbase vs. use the exclusivity to draw more customers here...
toxicTom: ^This. I doubt they could survive on the few exclusive classics they have plus Gwent.

Speaking of Gwent, I wonder if they will offer it on Steam some day. There are arguments in both directions - take advantage of the huge Steam userbase vs. use the exclusivity to draw more customers here...
Not quite exclusive... But I think Microsoft's store is smaller than gag at this point.
Attachments:
paladin181: Not quite exclusive... But I think Microsoft's store is smaller than gag at this point.
OMFG - and ugly as hell... seeing that I won't complain about GOG's design anytime soon...
high rated
Just read the email about GOG profiles. They're a nice thing for those that are into this sort of things I guess but I don't appreciate that the default was public. Why opt-out and not opt-in? And I also just noticed that this thread has been going for over a week now. Why did it take GOG so long to send out the email?

At least profiles can be disabled. But I prefer to be asked about such things and preferably not after the fact.
high rated
GrumpyImpaler: At least profiles can be disabled. [...]
Well, took a whole week before they could, see the update now burried p. 87
high rated
good grief, gog.

it's been nearly a week.

and you couldn't even mock up a simple: "this profile is private" page?

it still just falls to a 404?

it's mind boggling.
lostwolfe: good grief, gog.

it's been nearly a week.

it's mind boggling.
Poland had holidays on the 1st (Germany alike) and 3rd. So most people took the whole week off.
high rated

it's been nearly a week.

it's mind boggling.
Actually, you could argue that 404 is the more secure option.

If someone searched by your email, a "profile is private" response still confirms you have an account. We do something similar with our privacy response.

it's been nearly a week.

it's mind boggling.
it would be this profile is private if the profile is private... since the profile is not there then there is no profile which is why you get a 404 because it's a dead link..

it's been nearly a week.

it's mind boggling.
KnightW0lf: it would be this profile is private if the profile is private... since the profile is not there then there is no profile which is why you get a 404 because it's a dead link..
True, but 404 indicates an error. Having it set up this way, GOG indirectly implies that it's an error to have profiles set to private. A user who doesn't know that it's set up like this, can end up needlessly refreshing someone's profile believing it's a server error, or something in the connection.

What GOG should do is to have some "Introduction to GOG profiles" page that shows up for those who have set their profiles private. That way everyone knows that there is no server error or anything out of the ordinary happening.

To maximize privacy, this profile introduction should be the default page for anything under www.gog.com/u/ address, so whether there is an existing profile and user or not, anything that hasn't been set public defaults to this.

Should be a very simple coding job.

if user XX exists and profile is public
then show profile
else show profile introduction page

Can't be too hard to code that one. Even I could do it, presumably.
404 is private enough.
iRevolt: 404 is private enough.
If the code is secure enough in a 404 page and the code is also secure in a custom made page then it would only be a 'visual' difference and if code is secure enough everything should be safe.