It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When we started our journey 15 years ago, one of our most important goals was to do our best to preserve games and make them last forever. Allowing video games history, once-loved gems, to be lost in time, is something we cannot just stand and watch – we fight, for current and future generations to be able to enjoy games; all games, not just the newest, popular releases. Today, we stand proudly by our mission, and we’re extremely happy to announce the re-release of a cherished classic that, thanks to our efforts, has been successfully archived in the GOG catalog, to enjoy anew.

Alpha Protocol is back – better than ever, with a -10% launch discount until April 3rd, 2 PM UTC!

That’s right, this Alpha Protocol, the Espionage RPG, is making a grand return 14 years after its initial premiere. With conjoined forces of GOG, Obsidian Entertainment and SEGA, we’ve made sure to make it better than ever; compatible with modern PCs, with licensed soundtrack and performance improvements that are sure to make this timeless classic, yet again, your favorite spy story.

But that’s not all we have up our sleeves, of course! For this incredibly special occasion, we’ve prepared a one-of-a-kind documentary video, where the process of bringing back Alpha Protocol is extensively explained – including interviews with its creators, as well as our own team members. You can watch it below!
Absolutely FANTASTIC news that! The fight against delisting is a hard one, but an extremely noble one, One question thought, Has the game gotten anything cut from the original release and are you at all planning to release the console only DLC's to the game? bit of a big ask but was justr curious
bhrigu: Like any other piece of human creative expression, video games are significant artistic instances.

Video Game Preservation is needed.

In spite of all its shortcomings, this is why GOG is still my go to storefront.

Wishlisted for now. Will get it at an affordable enough price.
This is why I have been asking about older cell phone games, especially the pre-touchscreen ones on Vodophone in Japan. A number of remakes and NEW games of beloved franchises were released there in Japan and many never got a re-release, Korea had a cell phone exclusive War Of Genesis game.
high rated
PSA: GOG's updates have not affected compatibility, this still runs perfectly fine on Windows 7.
Great work!

I keep my hopes up for No One Lives Forever and Blur...
I watched the Raycevick video yesterday. I thought it was quite good overall (I assume all Raycevick videos are high-quality in that style), but a few minor criticisms (admittedly, maybe it just wasn't the right kind of video for the below to be mentioned in - or at least the first point below - but I did want to bring it up):

* I feel like GOG didn't need to come across so "altruistic" in regards to video game preservation, and it would have been fine to say something along the lines of how another reason they wanted to bring Alpha Protocol back is because it would be financially worthwhile to do so, and about how (and I recognize the following might not be the best way to word it) companies can continue to make money by allowing their old games to be sold and easily available on in digital stores. (Granted, they already do that sometimes with remasters of course.)

* To tie into the above, I think they could have said something about how one of the reasons they brought the game back was because a lot of people wanted it back. (In that vein, I would have liked a small shoutout or screenshot of the Community Wishlist but I also get that the ~3,300 votes for the game on there would probably come across as unimpressive. According to SteamSpy, before removal the original game sold 500k-1mil copies on Steam.)

Of course it's entirely possible I missed one or both points of the above being said / discussed shortly.

----------------------

I also wanted to mention: I really hope GOG would have still brought back Alpha Protocol even if they had to cut out the Autograph song, and along those lines I hope GOG still brings back other highly-desired games even if they have to cut out content due to licensing cost (assuming of course cutting out the content is possible).

As insane as it may sound, I'll throw in the idea of - in theory - bringing back racing games even if you have to basically mod out all the licensed content (assuming re-licensing would be too expensive, and removing the licensed content can be done), like replacing the licensed cars with modded fanmade cars where possible (especially if the original content could be easily modded back in). Granted, for instance I'd hate to see NFS III HP and Hot Pursuit 2 show up without their awesome music, but if the music could be easily modded back in, I'd pay to support those releases if the price is reasonable.

(I recognize I may be in the minority who like the above idea but I like to theorize.)
Post edited March 23, 2024 by tfishell
So Steam exclusive releases are good , Gog exclusive releases are bad ?
the game has all original music/etc, yeah? did they remove anything? i assume/hope not, but...
I feel so tired: So Steam exclusive releases are good , Gog exclusive releases are bad ?
Exclusivity sucks. Full stop.
high rated
tfishell: * I feel like GOG didn't need to come across so "altruistic" in regards to video game preservation, and it would have been fine to say something along the lines of how another reason they wanted to bring Alpha Protocol back is because it would be financially worthwhile to do so, and about how (and I recognize the following might not be the best way to word it) companies can continue to make money by allowing their old games to be sold and easily available on in digital stores. (Granted, they already do that sometimes with remasters of course.)
But that was the whole point of that video. To say that Alpha Protocol wasn't special enough or successful enough to deserve it (From a purely monetary POV), which is why it was allowed to so unceremoniously expire in the first place.

And that can be a good point too. There are many other games that are significant to the history of video games, that were otherwise flops. They need to be preserved, even if the majority won't buy them.
I feel so tired: So Steam exclusive releases are good , Gog exclusive releases are bad ?
Randalator: Exclusivity sucks. Full stop.
Indeed. GabeN should publish Half-Life games on GOG already.
Post edited March 23, 2024 by SargonAelther
high rated
Exclusivity sucks when it's your platform not getting the games. Where are all of Valve's games that should be on Epic, GOG, and others even if they were stripped down to single player offline modes? Can we be honest and admit that Valve did exclusives first (and also Darwinia) and being their customer, you're actively supporting this anti-consumer behaviour too?

Again, if Valve gave a shit about game preservation, they'd be doing more to save the other 27k games that are currently delisted or abandonware with their billions of dollars. They'd be more than welcome to keep them exclusive too in my book for their investments and involvements in making it happen. But they probably won't.
Post edited March 23, 2024 by UnashamedWeeb
high rated
UnashamedWeeb: Exclusivity sucks when it's your platform not getting the games. Where are all of Valve's games that should be on Epic, GOG, and others even if they were stripped down to single player offline modes? Can we be honest and admit that Valve did exclusives first (and also Darwinia) and being their customer, you're actively supporting this anti-consumer behaviour too?

Again, if Valve gave a shit about game preservation, they'd be doing more to save the other 27k games that are currently delisted or abandonware with their billions of dollars. They'd be more than welcome to keep them exclusive too in my book for their investments and involvements in making it happen. But they probably won't.
Don't forget about how Valve is spit in the face of the modding community with its steam workshop exclusives .
high rated
I would say there is a very big difference in a game that is exclusive on gog or exlusive on epic and steam.

On steam and epic, you are bound to the store and the software launcher.
On gog, you can download the executable from the website without the need of additional software, keep the game where ever you want and never again have to do with gog.
Any 0.1% chance to get american truck simulator and europe truck simulator 2 here on gog?
Awesome news, was really hoping to see this game on GOG!
mohamad4321: Any 0.1% chance to get american truck simulator and europe truck simulator 2 here on gog?
Short answer: as big a chance, as to get any other game here on GOG.

Slightly longer answer:
"American Truck Simulator (ATS)" and Euro Truck Simulator 2 (ETS 2)" are both developed by SCS Software.

Now, we already have some games that were developed by SCS Software here on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/18_wheels_of_steel_collection_1

https://www.gog.com/en/game/18_wheels_of_steel_collection_2

...but there's one problem: those are all published by Cosmi ValuSoft.

Whereas "ATS" and "ETS 2" are self published by SCS Software.

So: is it impossible to get "ATS" and "ETS 2" here?
No.
But it needs a contract between GOG and SCS (as publishers) first.
Attachments:
Post edited March 23, 2024 by BreOl72