It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
high rated
MariusHispano: Yours is worrisome. I agree that gog should allow profile data to be private but most users are not going to waste time with what you are trying because we are sure that cd projeck is already working on solving this problem. [...]
[Emphasis added]

I do not know who that "we" is, you are talking about, but from last week's "mentioning" of the new privacy settings up until now GOG as shown no intention at all to change anything about the way they introduced this update. If you go a few pages back you will find the "we have nothing to communicate" response GOG sends to all their customers who ask what's up. If they were taking their users' privacy serious, this update wouldn't have rolled out like this and if it was an honest mistake, they could have rolled the page's functionality back at any time. (Rolling back the site's code would not include rolling back the databanks containing forum posts, reviews, chat and such.)
The way this update was implemented was deliberate.

All that being said, I'm... doubtful that RainbowDragon's suggestion would bear fruit. I just can't imagine any government official would see a strong enough case to care about a distributor for video games to add it to their daily workload of (in their perception) "more real matters". Especially since there's no lobby behind us, paving the way with Dollar bills and Euros. (That being said: You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.)
Maybe you should rather crowdfund an actual lawyer - when they are on your side, they are surprisingly nice people with reasonable rates. (Given the robot responses in GOG's replies my guess would be that some lawyers already got involved.)

toxicTom: *hugs* :-)
I feel fluffy inside now, but I'm still leaving you girls, guys and beautiful in-betweens alone with those problems... (My estimate for getting the last of my installers is Monday or Tuesday.) I'm not saying you'll miss me, but you might curse my name for leaving you in a few months from now. ;)

[Edit:]
Forgot to point out that I was referring to RainbowDragon's post in the middle bit. Sorry about that.
Post edited April 28, 2018 by HeartsAndRainbows
RainbowDragon: For your convenience: the pdf file in the link above contains these e-mail addresses - feel free to use as many of them as you like :-)
Are people actually supposed to spam 31 countries that are not their relevant authorities? I don't know, but I would expect not.

No, people can read the .pdf and contact their relevant authorities. I recommend you edit this post and remove the spam list of 32 different countries' contacts.
Post edited April 28, 2018 by Charles.Surge
Do we know what kind of changes GOG's or CDP's upper management - those who set the direction the companies go - has gone through in the past few years?
high rated
Moonbeam: There should be an option to opt out of 'GOG Profiles' all I want to see is
my list of games in alpha order, sweet and simple.
the whole thing should be opt-in to begin with
groundhog42: The only reasons I can see is that either they didn't foresee the backlash it would cause, in which case they don't seem to understand a proportion of their customer base and why they buy here. Or they did foresee the response and they just don't care.
They did foresee the response. We've been given warning ahead of time with the words "You guys and gals are also the most sensitive for such changes". I'm not quite sure what kind of PR/marketing strategy that warning or "heads up" was supposed to be. Maybe it WAS a nod to the long term members/community folks after all. Or it was just kamikaze PR. Wouldn't be the first time GOG did that.
high rated
RainbowDragon: For your convenience: the pdf file in the link above contains these e-mail addresses - feel free to use as many of them as you like :-)
Charles.Surge: Are people actually supposed to spam 31 countries that are not their relevant authorities? I don't know, but I would expect not.

No, people can read the .pdf and contact their relevant authorities. I recommend you edit this post and remove the spam list of 32 different countries' contacts.
In case you are serious: The email addresses have an ending indicating the respective country. So there is no need for spamming or anything of the sort. Just pick the address/es with the correct ending/s - like "poststelle@bfdi.bund.de" for Germany.
I just realized that with the new profiles, there's still no way to tell if a poster is male or female.
high rated
I wasn't expecting GOG to make me into a trophy customer, sort of like the phrase "trophy wife". Stuffed, mounted, and the points on the antlers counted and documented in the form of the number of games purchased, number of "achievements" stumbled upon by accident in a game, and number of hours a computer game application is left running after opening it even if not played.

That's not what I expected from buying a product at GOG years ago and since then. Nor having tallies of my personal possessions and activities on m computer in my home collected to be shared with the Internet willy-nilly. I was using their Galaxy software simply to sort and manage my files. If I knew this was going to happen, then I wouldn't have bought anything at GOG, and I wouldn't have bothered trying out Galaxy for managing my files.

Yahoo! email services also are changing policies recently, about a week or two ago. I didn't find out until a few days ago because I hardly ever bother with it. People who need to contact me know how do so. Email is like voicemail: always outdated, already known, and thereby unimportant.

Oddly, amongst the emails of recent weeks this month of April were suddenly lots of notices of policy changes from other services that I hadn't even heard of for several years. Like Etsy (an eBay or Amazon clone?). They still had my email address because of some account I made. I vaguely recall having been acquainted with someone who made crafts of some sort and they tried it out for selling their stuff. Interesting any of those companies are still existing, let alone changing their policies all at the same time.

Maybe companies keep reporting all the unused accounts in their totals to impress their investors. Wouldn't surprise me considering when I tried to delete those accounts most companies said they only close them, won't delete them. In case I change my mind? That wasn't likely to happen, but with that refusal of deletion now I definitely won't be interested in returning.

This is just too much all at once. Now I'm wondering whether GOG will pull that stunt, too, and close but not delete accounts.

Over the decades I've pared down any superfluous Internet accounts like the so-called "social" mediums, and various national store brands. Handle most everything in person, and get real. I'm down to just email and GOG.

At this point I'm thinking I'll ditch my email soon and start over, again. It's been too long, and I usually ditch most everything just to reduce the random junk email that always show up, even with email accounts that I never use. It's gotten better lately, no junk email in my most recently created email accounts, probably because I've chosen random names. So, I'll likely drop everything down to just one of those and delete that ancient Yahoo! email account and it's new partnerships it's trying to share with me.

Which brings me to my consideration about GOG. Why am I bothering with this betrayal of my original business expectations with GOG? Maybe because I'm wondering whether I'm suppose to delete all my purchases if I close my GOG account. *sigh* So different from the days when computer software purchases were untethered transfers. But I've decided I'm not interested in this sudden extra management of a webpage about myself. If I were, then I would have had one elsewhere. However, I got rid of everything else years ago because the upkeep wasn't worth my time, wasn't worth my life. I hate micromanagement, it's busywork, it's for nothing. Over a dozen years of public education during the first couple decades of my life was too much busywork already.

On the other hand, this was casual and on my terms.

So, I've decided I really don't care whether I am supposed to delete all my purchases from GOG if I were to cancel/delete my account. I'll appreciate the extra free space on my computer. And on my mind. Less to manage. Freedom.

Still thinking about doing it, though. Besides, GOG might not actually delete and remove accounts, like the way other companies also don't. Even still, if I decide to get away from this extra management of a profile and its auto-updating every time I get a product at GOG, then I will initiate closure anyway. And if such a profile still remains after that, then I definitely will never partake in GOG services again. Though, that has more to do with my decision to never sign up for anything new online. I've tired of these Internet shenanigans over the years. This isn't how I want to do business. And this wasn't how I started business with GOG.

I would have been fine with the profiles being an option for me to turn on if I ever wanted to turn it on, and for me to delete at my will the instant I feel like it. But not like this, not the way it has come about after I had already believed I had a different relationship with GOG as a store. I'm too busy with other things to finalize this decision, and I'm not appreciating being spurred.
high rated
Breja: Our goal is not to have a academic discussion about morals. Our goal is not to keep the topic relevant. Our goal is to have GOG stop infringing user privacy. We're not going to achieve that by having the moral high ground.
Vainamoinen: “The end justifies the means. But what if there never is an end? All we have is means.”
~Ursula K. LeGuin, The Lathe of Heaven
I already said I don't support any sort of harassment. No one is trying to ruin the forum. You're trying to ridiculously exggarate the perfectly rational action of taking our business elsewhere because we find GOG's actions simply wrong and paint it as somehow immoral just because there's multiple people making that decision.

I'm sorry, but I think you're being entirely ridiculous. You're so invested in having a moral high ground you're seeking people to look down on in the wrong place.
low rated
Tauto: Is Mueller in here?
Mueller isn't needed any more. Trump calls Fox & Friends and just incriminates himself nowadays.

Breja: I'm sorry, but I think you're being entirely ridiculous. You're so invested in having a moral high ground you're seeking people to look down on in the wrong place.
Calm down. I just happen to think there will be better results with a more informed user base, no wild goose chases like the legal angle, and with hands less dirty.
Post edited April 28, 2018 by Vainamoinen
high rated
drmike: I just realized that with the new profiles, there's still no way to tell if a poster is male or female.
Don't you worry: The next update will require users to send in samples of DNA, so GOG can stop selling action games to users with a high risk of heart failure (remember Gattaca?). They'll just deduce users' gender from that and get to alienate the transgender community with the same update. Two birds with the same stone... [Imagine I made some emoji here to indicate that this was indeed intended to be a joke. Somehow I can't even force a digital smile for that one...]
high rated
Vainamoinen: Calm down. I just happen to think there will be better results with a more informed user base, no wild goose chases like the legal angle, and with hands less dirty.
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm perfectly calm.

And again, I have no idea who is dirtying their hands and how. By seeking legal action? At worst it's a dead end, but there's nothing immoral about seeking out a legal way to defend one's rights. You seem to think that taking any action other than repeating "dear GOG, this is wrong, please reconsider" in this thread is somehow tantamount harassment. I just can't agree with this. We're not humble supplicants asking GOG for some act of kindness. We have every right to demand our privacy to be respected and to seek way to ensure that.
high rated
thomq: [...] This is just too much all at once. Now I'm wondering whether GOG will pull that stunt, too, and close but not delete accounts. [...]

Still thinking about doing it, though. Besides, GOG might not actually delete and remove accounts, like the way other companies also don't. Even still, if I decide to get away from this extra management of a profile and its auto-updating every time I get a product at GOG, then I will initiate closure anyway. And if such a profile still remains after that, then I definitely will never partake in GOG services again. Though, that has more to do with my decision to never sign up for anything new online. I've tired of these Internet shenanigans over the years. This isn't how I want to do business. And this wasn't how I started business with GOG.

I would have been fine with the profiles being an option for me to turn on if I ever wanted to turn it on, and for me to delete at my will the instant I feel like it. But not like this, not the way it has come about after I had already believed I had a different relationship with GOG as a store. I'm too busy with other things to finalize this decision, and I'm not appreciating being spurred.
I can't tell you exactly how this will work for GOG internally, but I'm reasonably sure that an company within the EU isn't allowed to use your data after you've stopped being their customer (or even contact you without your expressed consent).

17. TERMINATION

17.1 Your right to terminate the Agreement. You may terminate this Agreement at any time and without giving any reason by completely ceasing to use GOG Services. If you would like us to delete your account please contact our Support Team here*. Termination will not affect already existing rights or obligations of us or you.
- Source: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212632089-User-Agreement
* Support link: support.gog.com/hc/requests/new?category=info (I'm not fixing that broken link for GOG's broken forum this time, just so stuff looks pretty.)

This might potentially change on the 25th of next month. I haven't looked too deeply into that update as I will be gone by then. To me, this is too much like an abusive relationship, so I'm grabbing the rest of my installers and them I'll get the hell out.
You do you, though. Make your own decisions and don't do something just because others are doing it.
Post edited April 29, 2018 by HeartsAndRainbows
low rated
thomq: I wasn't expecting GOG to make me into a trophy customer, sort of like the phrase "trophy wife". Stuffed, mounted, and the points on the antlers counted and documented in the form of the number of games purchased, number of "achievements" stumbled upon by accident in a game, and number of hours a computer game application is left running after opening it even if not played.

That's not what I expected from buying a product at GOG years ago and since then. Nor having tallies of my personal possessions and activities on m computer in my home collected to be shared with the Internet willy-nilly. I was using their Galaxy software simply to sort and manage my files. If I knew this was going to happen, then I wouldn't have bought anything at GOG, and I wouldn't have bothered trying out Galaxy for managing my files.

Yahoo! email services also are changing policies recently, about a week or two ago. I didn't find out until a few days ago because I hardly ever bother with it. People who need to contact me know how do so. Email is like voicemail: always outdated, already known, and thereby unimportant.

Oddly, amongst the emails of recent weeks this month of April were suddenly lots of notices of policy changes from other services that I hadn't even heard of for several years. Like Etsy (an eBay or Amazon clone?). They still had my email address because of some account I made. I vaguely recall having been acquainted with someone who made crafts of some sort and they tried it out for selling their stuff. Interesting any of those companies are still existing, let alone changing their policies all at the same time.

Maybe companies keep reporting all the unused accounts in their totals to impress their investors. Wouldn't surprise me considering when I tried to delete those accounts most companies said they only close them, won't delete them. In case I change my mind? That wasn't likely to happen, but with that refusal of deletion now I definitely won't be interested in returning.

This is just too much all at once. Now I'm wondering whether GOG will pull that stunt, too, and close but not delete accounts.

Over the decades I've pared down any superfluous Internet accounts like the so-called "social" mediums, and various national store brands. Handle most everything in person, and get real. I'm down to just email and GOG.

At this point I'm thinking I'll ditch my email soon and start over, again. It's been too long, and I usually ditch most everything just to reduce the random junk email that always show up, even with email accounts that I never use. It's gotten better lately, no junk email in my most recently created email accounts, probably because I've chosen random names. So, I'll likely drop everything down to just one of those and delete that ancient Yahoo! email account and it's new partnerships it's trying to share with me.

Which brings me to my consideration about GOG. Why am I bothering with this betrayal of my original business expectations with GOG? Maybe because I'm wondering whether I'm suppose to delete all my purchases if I close my GOG account. *sigh* So different from the days when computer software purchases were untethered transfers. But I've decided I'm not interested in this sudden extra management of a webpage about myself. If I were, then I would have had one elsewhere. However, I got rid of everything else years ago because the upkeep wasn't worth my time, wasn't worth my life. I hate micromanagement, it's busywork, it's for nothing. Over a dozen years of public education during the first couple decades of my life was too much busywork already.

On the other hand, this was casual and on my terms.

So, I've decided I really don't care whether I am supposed to delete all my purchases from GOG if I were to cancel/delete my account. I'll appreciate the extra free space on my computer. And on my mind. Less to manage. Freedom.

What is the problem that Gog adds achievements or profiles that have been so requested in the community?

Beyond the issue of privacy that you have to solve I do not know how it affects some users that others have those options when they are not mandatory. Does someone force you to use gog galaxy? To use achievements, clud save ...? . They are optional¡¡¡

The gog problem is the small group of users who are trying to impose their orders on others when gog galaxy is optional.

I do not force you to use the achievements, who are you to force others not to use them? You can buy your game and not use gog galaxy, why do other users have to do the same? Respect others as others respect you.

However the subject of privacy have to improve it seems to me very important
high rated
MariusHispano: What is the problem that Gog adds achievements or profiles that have been so requested in the community?
I mentioned it before - the features had under-5000 wishlist votes for a GOG community of over 500,000. It does not strike me as that vastly demanded of a feature.

MariusHispano: Beyond the issue of privacy that you have to solve
Well, that's the big problem right there. The more information you gather and store collated the more likely you are to monetize them if you happen to be a for-profit corporation not meaningfully limited in any other way.

For instance, do you know whether or not GOG is already exchanging information with Facebook beyond just basic login information? After all, Facebook is already a "trusted partner," and even the most recent change to Privacy Policy does not prevent such exchange.

MariusHispano: I do not know how it affects some users that others have those options when they are not mandatory. Does someone force you to use gog galaxy? To use achievements, clud save ...? . They are optional¡¡¡
"For now."

Non-Galaxy installers are already lagging when it comes to updates. Taleworld's most recent Batman title had a delayed release on GOG because achievement implementation for Galaxy was not done on time. Since GOG actually creates the stand-alone installers internally, while Galaxy allows now direct pipeline access between developers and Galaxy users, this can only get worse. GOG Downloader, the "no-frills-attached" way to reliably download from GOG, is no longer being worked on.

I do not begrudge others their preference toward profiles and achievements, but if they force them on ME, or cause detrimental changes to my shopping and account access due to addition of those elements, then we do have a problem.

MariusHispano: The gog problem is the small group of users who are trying to impose their orders on others when gog galaxy is optional.

I do not force you to use the achievements, who are you to force others not to use them? You can buy your game and not use gog galaxy, why do other users have to do the same? Respect others as others respect you.
The service began in certain way. If you change it to the benefit of a different group (which may or may not have purposefully driven your success to start with) at the expense of the original supporters, how is that "respectful" to the latter?

MariusHispano: However the subject of privacy have to improve it seems to me very important
Unfortunately, the same framework that allows you to enjoy your "social" features also makes us all subject to privacy invasion. Also, the legal framework surrounding the contract between us and GOG is laughably one-sided.
Post edited April 29, 2018 by Lukaszmik