It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
Gersen: That's called a downward spiral.
puviani: The term you're both looking for is "vicious circle".
i know "vicious circle"
but dumb Google showed me a description and it didnt match what i had in mind, so i used the other one

Google result

virtuous circle
noun
noun: virtuous circle; plural noun: virtuous circles

a recurring cycle of events, the result of each one being to increase the beneficial effect of the next.
"economic expansion would itself produce a virtuous circle of increased productivity, increased exports, and increased growth"

virtuous circle translating to Dutch:

1. vicieuze cirkel
Google result on vicious circle

Dictionary
vicious circle
noun
noun: vicious circle; plural noun: vicious circles; noun: vicious cycle; plural noun: vicious cycles

a sequence of reciprocal cause and effect in which two or more elements intensify and aggravate each other, leading inexorably to a worsening of the situation.
"they were caught in a vicious circle—in low-paid jobs because they were women, while the jobs were low-paid because women did them"
Google is messing things up ..... :D

Telika: The silent non-foruming non-hypersensitive majority of the customers, the blues point out, are super happy with the social gaming devices that require internet connexion (logging time, achievements).
toxicTom: Time logging and achievement can be done offline (and are, if Galaxy is disconnected). Just just can't brag with them...

But that aside... if the "silent non-foruming non-hypersensitive majority of the customers" didn't come here for DRM-free, what then for? Why not just use Steam, when they have (by large) the bigger catalogue, better prices, more reliable infrastructure and website tools?

If you choose one store over another, you must have a reason for it. Esp. since most people seem to try to keep their libraries to as few places as possible.
interesting thought: " Time logging and achievement can be done offline (and are, if Galaxy is disconnected). "
So i guess it proves Steam and any other client can log and store locally and just patiently waits till the client is walking( online) and ready to start talking ( save all the data gathered during offline gaming) which is basically wrong
If a user is gaming offline NO data saving on the local disk to send it up later should take place ....
thats Big Brother stuff :D
Post edited May 03, 2018 by gamesfreak64
high rated
Telika: The silent non-foruming non-hypersensitive majority of the customers, the blues point out, are super happy with the social gaming devices that require internet connexion (logging time, achievements).
toxicTom: Time logging and achievement can be done offline (and are, if Galaxy is disconnected). Just just can't brag with them...

But that aside... if the "silent non-foruming non-hypersensitive majority of the customers" didn't come here for DRM-free, what then for? Why not just use Steam, when they have (by large) the bigger catalogue, better prices, more reliable infrastructure and website tools?

If you choose one store over another, you must have a reason for it. Esp. since most people seem to try to keep their libraries to as few places as possible.
Unfortunately I cant reply to my own post so I am (ab)using this one. We do have some numbers about DRM vs customers:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/continue_to_be_a_drmfree_store_today_tomorrow_and_forever
Comparing the numbers with these:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#order=votes_total
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site#order=votes_total
So the stay-DRM-free wish has ~43k votes and the wish with most votes has ~54k votes.

I have yet to see any real/hard evidence that GOG customers do not care about DRM free.
gamesfreak64: So i guess it proves Steam and any other client can log and store locally and just patiently waits till the client is walking( online) and ready to start talking ( save all the data gathered whlist playing offline) which is basically wrong
If a user is gaming offline no data saving on the local disk to send it up later should take place ....
Of course a locally running client can save that data and upload it later. That's the way it's supposed to work.
If you don't want time tracking and achievements, simply don't use the client, or turn these features off.

In Galaxy you can install games which you don't own (like, by switching accounts, or using a classic installer). Galaxy will happily keep track of everything, it just won't upload, since the game is not "connected" to you GOG account.

Zrevnur: Unfortunately I cant reply to my own post so I am (ab)using this one. We do have some numbers about DRM vs customers:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/continue_to_be_a_drmfree_store_today_tomorrow_and_forever
So the stay-DRM-free wish has ~43k votes and the wish with most votes has ~54k votes.

I have yet to see any real/hard evidence that GOG customers do not care about DRM free.
Wrong the silent 'majority' that doesnt mind Big Brother and his family watching over their shoulders, would love Steam ( and maybe are heavy Steam users) cause its so 'great' its like sitting in a chair and being fed with a spoon which is okay if you are ill or infant. People usually feed themselves.

Anyway i dont mind setting up my own games and install them manually :D
Zrevnur: Unfortunately I cant reply to my own post so I am (ab)using this one. We do have some numbers about DRM vs customers:

gamesfreak64: Wrong the silent 'majority' that doesnt mind Big Brother and his family watching over their shoulders, would love Steam ( and maybe are heavy Steam users) cause its so 'great' its like sitting in a chair and being fed with a spoon which is okay if you are ill or infant. People usually feed themselves.

Anyway i dont mind setting up my own games and install them manually :D
You are quoting me and use 'Wrong' - which part of my post is 'Wrong'?
gamesfreak64: So i guess it proves Steam and any other client can log and store locally and just patiently waits till the client is walking( online) and ready to start talking ( save all the data gathered whlist playing offline) which is basically wrong
If a user is gaming offline no data saving on the local disk to send it up later should take place ....
toxicTom: Of course a locally running client can save that data and upload it later. That's the way it's supposed to work.
If you don't want time tracking and achievements, simply don't use the client, or turn these features off.

In Galaxy you can install games which you don't own (like, by switching accounts, or using a classic installer). Galaxy will happily keep track of everything, it just won't upload, since the game is not "connected" to you GOG account.
All that automating looks like Big Brother , a very large Big Brother..... we are both lucky that we don't have a Big Brother watching every move ....... :D

mmm? o wait: its the 3rd of May .... i guess you might be lucky not to have a Big Brother watching you
Anyway going to play a real offline game now .... its very old so it should be free of 'spyware'
Zrevnur: I have yet to see any real/hard evidence that GOG customers do not care about DRM free.
I'm convinced that DRM-free is the USP here. If they ever drop it, it'll be the end of them.

The other bling bling like the client, achievements, cloud saves and the latest: profiles are for people who say: "I'd rather buy DRM-free, but I also like this...". Every feature GOG adds is to sway more of these people.

Galaxy is certainly the most important part of it: Judging from recurring newbie posts here a lot of people simply don't know how to download an installer and run it any more. Many people coming from Steam and co simply don't know how it works without a client.

But IMO, however important the client is for a slick and painless user experience, in other cases I think the priorities are mightily off. Before introducing the profiles they should have focused fixing the many broken things on the site. I think those really scare customers off, esp the less tech-savvy ones.
gamesfreak64: All that automating looks like Big Brother , a very large Big Brother..... we are both lucky that we don't have a Big Brother watching every move ....... :D

mmm? o wait: its the 3rd of May .... i guess you might be lucky not to have a Big Brother watching you
Anyway going to play a real offline game now .... its very old so it should be free of 'spyware'
You know you can turn off game time tracking in Galaxy.

And saving and uploading later is basic functionality with any local application that wants to communicate. It's like typing messages into your messenger application while disconnected - they will be sent once you got network.

It's not spyware if you know what it's doing and can even turn it off.
Post edited May 03, 2018 by toxicTom
toxicTom: Judging from recurring newbie posts here a lot of people simply don't know how to download an installer and run it any more. Many people coming from Steam and co simply don't know how it works without a client.
That's the saddest thing in the entire thread.
Wait a second, if people are stumped by installers, how did they get clients in the first place?
Post edited May 03, 2018 by lolplatypus

Yet it's the "bragging about it", which seems to be enthousiastically welcomed by the customers who statistically matter.

So, why gog ? I cannot speculate much about that, as DRM (and clients, and social networking) annoys me. Maybe it's just one random shop amongst others and people just buy on a whim wherever a game is cheaper that day. Maybe they like the look. Maybe they just want another shop (the same would apply about gamersgate, why why why do people shop there, or on the humble shop, while it's the same stuff as steam). Maybe they used to care about drm and ceased (there's a thread about that right now). Maybe they have friends using gog aswell. Maybe they like gog's reddit twitter twitch whatever. Maybe they feel like super independant rebels because it's labelled drm-free while not really realising that hooking themselves onto networking gadgets is a contradiction. Maybe they're just monty python protestants. After all, imagine that gog went down tomorrow. How many of the drm-free proponents (of the loud "if steam goes down you lose all your games" sort) actually downloaded all their games ? How many of them actually care, beyond a vague occasional "oh, right" principle that pops to their mind when they wish to act cool on a forum ?

It's not a serious concern to them. And the gog staff knows it. There is no commercial risk to them in bundling their games with galaxy, or imposing social networks, or plugging them by default. Their safest target audience don't mean to play unplugged, and actually seek permanent connexion and monitoring (under whatever cool name).
Post edited May 03, 2018 by Telika
lolplatypus: That's the saddest thing in the entire thread.
Wait a second, if people are stumped by installers, how did they get clients in the first place?
Don't know about Galaxy... but in case of Steam: Buy a boxed game, insert disk, autorun. In most cases it's just a Steam client and a key you get as "boxed copy" nowadays.
high rated
eiii: Gaming habits sometimes tell more about a personality than a bank account.
paladin181: Depending on the degree of gaming habits revealed. If you know I've purchased certain games, you know what I may like. But if you don't know which ones I'm actually playing... well you know nothing Jon Snow.
The amount of details GOG has published (and still publishes) for a lot of people, without their explicit consent, already is good enough for that. Playing times for games are part of the default profile (at least when people have used Galaxy).
Post edited May 04, 2018 by eiii

Some of us have been using GOG since it was GOOD OLD GAMES. And that right there is the primary reason why. Nothing to do with being DRM free or not. Fact is GOG used to specialize in classic games that nobody else had digitally. There's still a fair number of games exclusive to GOG, and that is why I will continue to use it, as well as I'm sure others will as well.

The whole no steam no buy thing is just a meme. I know people who actually follow that rule, but most people don't give 2 shits about where there games come from, as long as they run and run well. 2 of the biggest games on PC right now are on neither GOG or Steam for example. Can you guess which 2?
dm36: Some of us have been using GOG since it was GOOD OLD GAMES. And that right there is the primary reason why. Nothing to do with being DRM free or not. Fact is GOG used to specialize in classic games that nobody else had digitally. There's still a fair number of games exclusive to GOG, and that is why I will continue to use it, as well as I'm sure others will as well.
I came here for oldies too back then. It's a niche market though, and I think it'll become even more niche. The sad thing is that even in this marktet Steam sometimes has the better offers (see Cinemaware...)

dm36: The whole no steam no buy thing is just a meme. I know people who actually follow that rule, but most people don't give 2 shits about where there games come from, as long as they run and run well. 2 of the biggest games on PC right now are on neither GOG or Steam for example. Can you guess which 2?
Actually I wouldn't know... it seems PUBG is pretty big, at least in Germany, but that one is on Steam. Something Blizzard?
fortnite and overwatch
dm36: fortnite and overwatch
Never heard of Fortnite actually... But then the last MP game I played with some dedication was Battlefield 1942... This is not something that interests me in the least.

Set up a private Q3A deathmatch server though, and I might join in for a few quick rounds.