It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
Any updates from the staff while I was gone?
Dalthnock: Any updates from the staff while I was gone?
Nope. Nothing.
high rated
anothername: I do like fiddling around with profile customization. For myself + maybe a close circle. But regardless of how private it is set it still shows total games; hours; achievements and probably other settings (well, it shows wrong because I guess its galaxy related which I do not frequent that much but still its nobodys business but my own).

To do it right gog need to add a setting which just shows a blank grey page of nothing but "private" to all but chosen friends. Nothing else as in NOTHING ELSE.

They did a lazy job regarding the privacy settings; the most critical setting IMO; and got correctly called out for it, even if the call out was quite tame (yet) IMO. Stuff like this NEEDS to be quadruple checked before going life.
For me among the worst things is that your profile page gives away your friends (yes even those who are supposedly hidden by their choice) even if you set friends page to "me only". That's just ridiculous and dumb.

Always showing the numbers is probably a (yes, bad) conscious choice. I wrote about what these numbers could tell here.
Zrevnur: Automatic translation is pretty good except for the last sentence: "Kritiken" means (due to context) "criticisms" and not "reviews".
DeepL is pretty impressive even with technical and legal texts.
Post edited April 28, 2018 by toxicTom
Breja: Our only relationship with GOG if a business one. Only in those terms can we really communicate.
bler144: Well, I cleaned everything off my WL except an expac for Witcher 3 where I already own the base game here.

While I wouldn't say I'm in firm boycott mode, I am suddenly pretty leery of investing any additional $$ here.
nice word: leery havent heard or read the word that much so i had to look it up and it is a interesting word.
i learned many words from as many movies i watched (90% are american movies) but cant recall i ever heard the word leery now i do know what it means.

(google)
adjectiveinformal
adjective: leery; comparative adjective: leerier; superlative adjective: leeriest

cautious or wary due to realistic suspicions.
HeartsAndRainbows: You might not know this about me, but I occasionally see or hear visions of the future. ;)

GOG's next sugarcoated statement will be: "The builders of our company are fully engaged in reconstructing our website, and its labor force is deployed for that. Nobody has the intention to erect a store that sells your data to our trusted partners."
(Or something along those lines... I'm sure I will be pretty close.)

Sad thing is: This one was probably a vision from the past.
Lukaszmik: Yeah... it's something most defenders of GOG's approach here don't seem to grasp.

The fact that there is no official "er... wait a minute, maybe we jumped the gun here - give us some time to reconsider the situation, folks" statement from GOG means as far as they are concerned they did nothing wrong with the Profiles.

Things sure aren't going to change for the better.
That aint bad ... they call it 'progress ' ..... our govt always encourages progress, globalisation,( they love it) and they also dont mind abandoning dividend tax of 1.4 billion , which could be used for the Dutch people, they love to expand like crazy and always want to compete with the big boys.

Anyway, sooner or later everything will change and not for the better, and it is called : "progress"
all good things have to go to make room for more innovation a welknown word and easy cause we call it innovatie which sounds almost the same.
Too much innovation imo is bad..... they should take small steps but they won't cause they love to showoff.
low rated
Breja: On those grounds I decided not to buy from GOG again, untill the situation improves.
If you personally decide to boycott, there's nothing wrong with both the action as well as the statement.

Yet if you compile a list, it becomes a strength in numbers strategy. That's a call to solidarity. That's a strike with the potential to ostracise the deviants, the strike breakers. That's an us versus them narrative. It's the beginning of something the possible end of which we both don't want to see. As a mod in another forum I've practically defined this rabble rousing behaviour as the red line to cross before we yank out the user. Then again, in comparison to what I've seen there, the discussion here is still practically civil, I must concede that.

Breja: Our goal is not to have a academic discussion about morals. Our goal is not to keep the topic relevant. Our goal is to have GOG stop infringing user privacy. We're not going to achieve that by having the moral high ground.
“The end justifies the means. But what if there never is an end? All we have is means.”
~Ursula K. LeGuin, The Lathe of Heaven

Pressuring concessions out of the company by ruining their forums for them and others will totally "work". But to what end? Because then you're stuck with a situation that's only just and only temporarily acceptable to you. Company intent, you can be certain about that, will in this case be to weasel out of as many concessions as humanly possible over time, a volatile and wearisome relationship with no real common ground or even common ideals.

If that's the "desired" outcome, possibly even the only outcome you see, I wholly suggest switching to Steam (at least for those who use Galaxy). You have all the screwing over going on over there, a community that is wildly enthusiastic about being screwed over, and the client works so much better as well. At this point, anything besides the "real deal" i.e. bringing GOG to actual honesty about their business practices tantamounts to nothing achieved at all.

I suggest to be absolutely clear about the things we wish for the platform and the reasons we, in part individually, have to ask for certain things and certain red lines that have but should not have been crossed. That is why the - of course in part "academic" - discussion must take place beforehand. If you're starting from the wrong place and target the wrong goal for the wrong reasons, you almost certainly end up with "All we have is means".

I'm certain that the highest GOG officials have already had hot debates about what to change for the better and what to communicate. Sure, I'll watch closely what will change for the better, but it's the communication that's the actually revealing part. It's the communication that decides whether the mutual company-client relationship can sensibly continue.

(And, believe someone who's been on the other side of that fence, keeping the topic relevant, explicitly without resorting to outrage, is an incredible strategy. It counteracts pretty much exactly what some companies hope for without giving them the opportunity to call the debaters a mob and ignore their claims in the process. Tone it down, keep it going, clarify, specify, reiterate, reconsider, refine. You yourself have been doing a lot of that)
Post edited April 28, 2018 by Vainamoinen
xyem: You can only opt out of both username/email searches, you can't only opt out of the email one.

You have to set the Your Visibility to unchecked in the "Privacy" menu under "Orders & Settings".
TazzieDevil: I've no objections to a username search since I don't use this name anywhere else, the email address is another matter, it's connected to a couple of dozen accounts (mostly online stores) and I'd prefer not to have Big Data add this site to whatever marketing profile they've compiled for me. Which is why I wouldn't mind a little more granularity in the privacy settings.

Is there no "Post Preview" option in these forums?
The name shown as user name is part of mailadress, i dont see a field to enter a username like Steam has, you create an Steam account and enter a name your email will not be used in or as part of a visible name.

When i signed up at GOG it used my name in the forum from my mailname, the countries can be changed ( list) BUT there is NO option button to HIDE it... or a list entry that says not disclosed or other,or just show no text location.

('evil') Steam however has one.... to hide it , just because a company is a European country and EU member doesnt mean its okay to show one by default....
high rated
Hi,

after a break the dragon is back. I was away for a day because I have to do dragonlike things sometimes, like hunting for food, guarding the hoard and cleaning the cave - you know that stuff :-). Now let's read some of the 20 to 30 pages or so I have missed in the meantime and (if rather late, sorry) also answer some posts.

First and again thank you for
- keeping up the the pressure on gog.com in the forum
- continuing to vote for our feature request for privacy
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/disable_view_profile_function_for_customers_who_care_for_their_privacy
- and spreading the (bad) news abouts gog's criminal activities and break of European data protection laws as well as breaching the trust of their customers on the web!

BTW as suggested in a previous post I have also forwarded my original e-mail to support to the new(?) privacy e-mail address ("privacy@gog.com") and have not yet received an answer (since Thursday). The second e-mail has just been attached to the still open support ticket...

To answer a few posts in one go:

@jorlin: Very nice find, thank you for...
http://killapenguin.com/random/gamestuff/dear-gog-what-are-you-doing/
..it's great that the web is picking up the story even without our posting it on social media!

@Zrevnur: thank you for informing us about that - the outrage about gog's new feature becomes international :-)
http://www.pcgames.de/GOGcom-Firma-256620/News/User-wollen-mehr-Privatsphaere-1255358/

@nightcraw1er.488 - re telemetry and phone home from games (victor crab and grim dawn do that, and unity games mostly do the telemetry) in your post #1470:
You may add some games that have been published recently that will not work without allowing them to connect to the internet OR without deactivating BOTH the internet connection of your PC and any third party (non microsoft) firewalls! Examples:
Into the breach - no sound was working for me in the game until I allowed - just once and for testing purposes - the game to connect to the internet. And all of a sudden all game functions were active, sound included. So far for DRM-free gaming! After complaining to both gog and game publisher subsetgames in the end I got the game refunded. That's not what I really wanted but obviously they rather refunded one game before really making it drm free...

"Pandora - first contact" is not even starting on my PC when I do not allow it to connect to the internet OR completely deactivate my internet connection and stop the firewall... DRM-free, eh?

@gamesfreak64 - re...quote start ...
many sites do that, some newspapers sometimes print an article but all of a sudden they are 'corrected' by their boss or a govt and voila : "oops that page doesn t seem to exist, or the page you are looking for... or other dumb texts telling the page is gone because it was removed or had to be removed by order of law or something similar.
... quote end ...
ah, yes, THAT reminds me so much of a certain scene in a book & later film:
The weekly chocolate ration has been increased to 30 grams ... later "corrected" to: the weekly chocolate ration has been increased from 20 to 25 g! All praise our big brother ... ok gog, now we know you have arrived in 1984...

again @gamesfreak64 regarding "gog shows you are from cairn islands" (and already answered by Nokatus) - that information you can still correct in your account settings under "account & locale - Country (displayed in forums)". I have set it to "other" to maximize privacy... but don't tell that to too many other forum users because then gog will for sure take it away from us in one of their next no-need-4-privacy-updates...

@joppo - thank you, I have updated the list and believe that this
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors
is very good to know for those of us who now may have to leave gog.com and do our shopping where we are still respected customers and on sites that DO respect our privacy rights.

So... regarding the "list"...
Disclaimer ("copyright" SpiderFighter :-)): this is NOT a recruiting list, just a (most probably very very incomplete) list of angry users who will not buy here anmyore until gog get's their act together and stops publishing data without their customer's consent!

*** Number of users who will not buy from gog.com anymore until gog.com respects our privacy ***
#1 Breja
#2 PrivateProfile
#3 SpiderFighter
#4 jorlin
#5 monsieurcaillou
#6 RainbowDragon
#7 NovumZ
#8 ZenWan
#9 Dalthnock
#10 Lifthrasil
#11 joppo

@Mueslinator
re: If it wasn't for this regrettable snafu, I would gladly shove some money down GOG's throat.
... same here, but as long as they refuse to address this situation they will see no more money from me, no matter how many sales and offers they make, not even at 99% discounted will I ever buy another game here!
Post edited April 28, 2018 by RainbowDragon
Breja: On those grounds I decided not to buy from GOG again, untill the situation improves.
Vainamoinen: If you personally decide to boycott, there's nothing wrong with both the action as well as the statement.

Yet if you compile a list, it becomes a strength in numbers strategy. That's a call to solidarity. That's a strike with the potential to ostracise the deviants, the strike breakers. That's an us versus them narrative. It's the beginning of something the possible end of which we both don't want to see. As a mod in another forum I've practically defined this rabble rousing behaviour as the red line to cross before we yank out the user. Then again, in comparison to what I've seen there, the discussion here is still practically civil, I must concede that.

Breja: Our goal is not to have a academic discussion about morals. Our goal is not to keep the topic relevant. Our goal is to have GOG stop infringing user privacy. We're not going to achieve that by having the moral high ground.
Vainamoinen: “The end justifies the means. But what if there never is an end? All we have is means.”
~Ursula K. LeGuin, The Lathe of Heaven

Pressuring concessions out of the company by ruining their forums for them and others will totally "work". But to what end? Because then you're stuck with a situation that's only just and only temporarily acceptable to you. Company intent, you can be certain about that, will in this case be to weasel out of as many concessions as humanly possible over time, a volatile and wearisome relationship with no real common ground or even common ideals.

If that's the "desired" outcome, possibly even the only outcome you see, I wholly suggest switching to Steam (at least for those who use Galaxy). You have all the screwing over going on over there, a community that is much wildly enthusiastic about being screwed over, and the client works so much better as well.

I suggest to be absolutely clear about the things we wish for the platform and the reasons we, in part individually, have to ask for certain things and certain red lines that have but should not have been crossed. That is why the - of course in part "academic" - discussion must take place beforehand. If you're starting from the wrong place and target the wrong goal for the wrong reasons, you almost certainly end up with "All we have is means".

I'm certain that the highest GOG officials have already had hot debates about what to change for the better and what to communicate. Sure, I'll watch closely what will change for the better, but it's the communication that's the actually revealing part. It's the communication that decides whether the mutual company-client relationship can sensibly continue.
... manytimes they decide what will happen... not the community

example: distrust of parliament members

a Dutch example: Dutch PM was in heavy debates (again) because he could not remember or recall things (again) (selective memory perhaps?) the opposition was very 'angry' ( they always are) so they asked for a debate... BUT as usual chicken out and end up only with a weak motion of disapproval .
So in the end nothing changes .......
RainbowDragon: @SpiderFighter, @HeartsAndRainbows and @all
I do get your points and agree with you that the list of non-buyers might take us nowhere. About the long list of gog's past failures and broken promises ... I guess I better do not comment anymore on that today... [...]
HeartsAndRainbows: I think your undertaking is honorable, but whether you present a signed list or users simply not buying without any sort of public statement*: At the end of the month it will show on GOG's bank account. I think having your list in addition will present GOG's staff with some context but given how sloppy the site was managed in the past, I'm having a hard time imagining them suddenly going over each individual username listed and projecting expected sales for those customers.

RainbowDragon: [...] Almost 400 votes already by now - within 3 days! [...]
HeartsAndRainbows: As someone who's spend more time with the wishlist than in the forums I can attest that that's more extreme than it might sound to some. The fastest climb I've even seen was for (Captain) Claw and the Jack Jazzrabbit games after LRG made his videos about those - and even then it was between 40 and 90 additional votes over the course of a week.

And in case you're wondering what I'm still doing in these forums:
1) I still feel for the GOG users that chose to stay behind, even if they are not okay with a violation of their privacy.
2) It took me some days to get new harddrive to store all of my remaining installers (Mac installers as well as some Linux installers and in some cases the native language of the developers.)

* Again: The majority of GOG’s customers doesn't post in the forums - at all. (Some of which probably because they thought even the public Online/Offline marker was too much. - I've seen regular forums which let you hide such things.)
Thank you for your post! The "list" might not go anywhere but it is - together with the feature request and the growing interest in this matter on other sites all over the net an additional - if tiny - point we would like to make in our effort to make gog do the right thing.

I also agree that most users will not even actively use the forums and just use the site to buy games. I have not posted much until the new profiles were published but now we have to draw a line and make our stand. gog will either give us our privacy or lose us as customers. I may come back to get updates to the games I have bought but the numbers illegaly published by gog will remain useless for any data mining because they will now remain static data as I do neither use galaxy nor will I buy any additional games.
RainbowDragon: @Mueslinator
re: If it wasn't for this regrettable snafu, I would gladly shove some money down GOG's throat.
... same here, but as long as they refuse to address this situation they will see more money from me, no matter how many sales and offers they make, not even at 99% discounted will I ever buy another game here!
Well i am very sad because of the sharing of user data especially while many other 'evil' companies like big Evil Steam
do have options to hide info maybe its because they are USA or so i dont know... seems that many Euorpean companies think they are allowed to share the livingdaylights out of all users data living in Europe ...

If the 'evil' drm companies like the big evil Steam as they call it do have options to hide user info it is very sad that the DRM free lovers and huggers pull this stunt of user profiles on us, thats what hurts the most cause in a way GOG used to be special and different, someone you could trust cause we all knew about the evil DRM loving companies that were evil which was told by our friend GOG so it is sad we all seem to have lost a good friend: our buddy GOG.
HypersomniacLive: I think you got your links mixed up, here's the relevant one.
Aaargh,...thanks, edited.
Shouldn't leave too many tabs open in my browser. :)
RainbowDragon: -

*** Number of users who will not buy from gog.com anymore until gog.com respects our privacy ***
#1 Breja
#2 PrivateProfile
#3 SpiderFighter
#4 jorlin
#5 monsieurcaillou
#6 RainbowDragon
#7 NovumZ
#8 ZenWan
#9 Dalthnock
#10 Lifthrasil
#11 joppo

-
It's a drop in the ocean. Even if there's another 10 people for each of those listed who do the same you must realize the number of new customers this will bring Gog will offset the loss of a few old customers who likely don't spend as much as they used to because they've reached saturation point with their older game titles.
high rated
Lifthrasil: Too late for that. By now Steam has a better privacy policy than GOG.
Yeah, let's not go that far.

Lemon_Curry: You gotta love the 'Sign in via Steam to comment' requirement!
Didn't scroll down enough to even see that.

BKGaming: [...] The wishlist is something that most people don't even know exist. It's also pretty easy to motivate people to vote for something when they are angry. One is organic growth the other isn't. [...]
The element of appeal to emotion is in every community wishlist entry, no matter what side of the emotional spectrum the targeted emotion comes from. People that know about and/or use the community wishlist are the ones that in some fashion motivate the uninitiated to vote for entries on it, whether you are for them, against them or indifferent. You can't have it both ways.

I think it's reasonably safe to say that both of the profile wishlist entries gained a lot of the total votes in the first few days/(weeks?) following their creation with those wanting profiles (actively) motivating others to vote, just like I imagine all popular ones do, and kept trickling in votes as they remained unfulfilled. So, claiming that the votes this one has accumulated in the past five days because people are easily motivated by anger comes across as bias at best.

BKGaming: [...] And people always post to that old wish when the Galaxy wish has a more votes and it didn't take six years to amass:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/profiles
And right after saying that you think comparing number/progression of votes is pointless, you take it upon you to link to the wishlist entry that has more votes accumulated in a shorter time-frame...

Again, you can't have it both ways.

Perhaps the reason people post/talk about the old one is because it calls for public display of games bought the Steam fashion for everyone using GOG. Now you can argue that since it predates Galaxy, that's expected, but that's also the main contention point; if private profiles were actually truly private and treated as such by public ones, nobody would care.

One could also argue that the Galaxy wish is meant to be contained on Galaxy/ among Galaxy users, which would take a chunk of people out of the equation, though there are Galaxy users that aren't happy that their Galaxy stats are broadcasted the way they are now. And that's leaving out the fact that there's no mention of amount of games with everything that entails.

toxicTom: [...] They show (and probably only a fraction) what is already there. [...]
[emphasis added]

Here's something I realised yesterday. If one has up to five friends, setting their friends list to "only me" or "friends" becomes a useless choice if they or even just one of their friends have a public profile.

It's hard to draw any kind of conclusion as Steam had social features since the beginning, and everyone seems to have a lot of friends by now, but cursory looking at, randomly chosen, public profiles, suggests that friends that have a private profile are not included in that list of six friends.
227: Oh, right. Here's a direct link.
Nicely written!