It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JudasIscariot: Hmmm, your version mentions wine-1.8. Any chance you can test this on Wine 1.8.3 or Wine 1.9.16?
igrok: I tried it with 1.9.15 (Staging) with the same crash. It looks like it's an obscure bug in Wine, maybe I should upload it to Wine HQ.
Try the latest Wine and if it continues, send it to Wine HQ, please :)
Wine 1.9.17 is out and immi's patch for Worms 2 has been committed :D
kusumahendra: Can you help me troubleshoot Clive baker undying? I really want to play the game. I install it using playonlinux, and the game can run. But I get this sound overlap, like 2 tracks played at the same time. It seems like the game runs too fast

I tried looking for solution, and it seems people on windows solved this problem by forcing vsync and set affinity to 1. I wonder if there is a way to fix this on wine?

[Edit]

Should've included it

I used wine 1.7.55 and 1.9.11, on Ubuntu mate 16.04 64 bit
Update to Wine 1.9.17 as there have been quite a few changes between 1,9.11 and 1.9.17 when it comes to sound issues :)
igrok: It actually worked for me without any patches when I tried to run it some time ago.
vanchann: Upgrading software could sometimes break things. So maybe a change in Wine's code has made the game unplayable without the patch.

I had a similar issue with Sacred 2 Gold.
Do you recall the last correctly working version of Wine for Sacred 2 Gold and the one where things started breaking? Sounds like a regression to me.
JudasIscariot: Do you recall the last correctly working version of Wine for Sacred 2 Gold and the one where things started breaking? Sounds like a regression to me.
vanchann: Unfortunately no.
I don't upgrade to new versions as they are released, so almost always there are gaps between the versions I use.

EDIT: I think I have made a mistake in that old post. The working version should have been wine-1.9.6 (i386-wine-devel: 32-bit from ports).
OK, do you recall any winetricks that you may have used to get the game running at the time?
JudasIscariot: OK, do you recall any winetricks that you may have used to get the game running at the time?
vanchann: Yes. They should have been:
mfc42
vcrun2005
d3dx9
Plus the physX version that was included with the game.
Did you ever run into this bug with Sacred 2? I think you just may need to run "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" instead of the full d3dx9 package to work around a few problems :)
JudasIscariot: Did you ever run into this bug with Sacred 2? I think you just may need to run "winetricks d3dcompiler_43" instead of the full d3dx9 package to work around a few problems :)
vanchann: Thanks Judas. I'll try this workaround.
I don't remember the error messages, but the problem looks similar. Probably it's the same bug.

Since our last interaction, I've updated my Wine installation to 1.9.17-devel, but it didn't help.
Yeah, I think d3dcompiler_43 needs more work as I presume you had errors regarding HLSL shader parsing?
JudasIscariot: Yeah, I think d3dcompiler_43 needs more work as I presume you had errors regarding HLSL shader parsing?
vanchann: Thanks again.

I tried to run the game. There weren't HLSL shader parsing errors (or I missed them, but I've checked again and again). Then I tried to set all dlls to default and then reinstall the suggested libraries with the same results. Maybe more things than those intended, were set to default.

I'll check again later using a clean prefix.
Yeah I would try with a clean prefix and just add one winetrick at a time to see what breaks or gets fixed :)
JudasIscariot: Yeah I would try with a clean prefix and just add one winetrick at a time to see what breaks or gets fixed :)
vanchann: Unfortunately the problem persists.

I tried with a clean prefix adding libraries one by one, with nothing got fixed. I think I should forget playing the game for now. Alternatively I could downgrade Wine port to the working version and recompile it, but that could create more incompatibilities than it solves.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.
Well, I can try running a regression test if the game WAS working for you in a certain version :)

So, 1.9.6 is the last working version for you then?
JudasIscariot: Well, I can try running a regression test if the game WAS working for you in a certain version :)

So, 1.9.6 is the last working version for you then?
vanchann: Thanks!
Yes, version 1.9.6 (32 bit, devel) was working for sure with the winetricks I've posted.

It could be something specific to Wine on FreeBSD though. Maybe the game could run even on newer Wine versions on Linux. That's why I asked if someone was running the game on Linux in the old thread.
Hmmmm, I could've sworn there was an issue with FreeBSD in WineHQ related to something in the codebase. Oh well, I'll at least get some more regression testing practice at least :)
JudasIscariot: Hmmmm, I could've sworn there was an issue with FreeBSD in WineHQ related to something in the codebase. Oh well, I'll at least get some more regression testing practice at least :)
vanchann: Thanks for all your efforts Judas.

I've tried to launch a few games this morning as I've updated from 1.9.13 to 1.9.17 the last weekend. Many games I tried like Blackguards 2, Divinity Original Sin (classic version), Technobabylon, Overlord are broken now. Other games like Age of Wonders 3 and Van Helsing Final Cut keep running fine.

I think the problem is specific to Wine running on FreeBSD. This view has been reinforced by GOG's new addition Titan Quest failing today, while it runs on Linux as adamhm reported.

Maybe I should consider compiling/installing Wine on Linux again. I have relatively limited disk space there though.

EDIT: Thanks adamhm for your report!
If that's the case, then even if I were to do any regression tests on my setup, it wouldn't show anything. I would recommend reading up on it and trying it out :) It's actually not that hard if you're already used to compiling Wine :)

Let me know if you'd like some help running a regression test :)
Game: Ether One Redux

Installer MD5s: 39a8b117c1abd0e46e17044a7d741226 setup_ether_one_redux_2.0.0.2.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: N/A

Distro: Antergos 64-bit
Kernel version: Linux antergos 4.7.2-1-ARCH
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForec GTX 970
Graphics driver & version: NVIDIA 370.23
Wine version(s) tested: WINE 1.9.17-265-g225c43b (one git version behind Wine 1.9.18)

How well does it run: Almost perfectly. I have experienced some lag here and there and there are times when the game's subtitles seem to be de-synced from what you hear so you see the next line being shown by the subtitles before it's spoken by a voice actor.

Details:

Instructions:

Things to do before installing:

1. Make sure you have 64-bit support in Wine as this is a 64-bit only game.
2. Make sure you have drivers that can support OpenGL 4.3 or higher.
3, Run "winecfg" and set Wine to Windows XP
4. In the "Libraries" tab, set x3daudio1_7 to builtin, native.
5. Still in Windows XP mode, run "winetricks vcrun2015"
6. After installing VCRUN2015, switch to Windows 7 mode in Wine's configuration utility.
7. Run the GOG installer.
8. Let everything install as normal.
9. You may get prompted by the Unreal Engine 4 Prerequisites Setup file to install the UE4 prerequisites. Let it do its thing and fail with an "Invalid ACL"
10. Once you have the game installed, navigate to the base Ether One Redux directory, do NOT go to the Binaries folder.
11. After you get to that directory, open up a terminal and type the following command:

$wine EtherOne.exe -opengl4

<end instruction>

You should now be looking at the starting screen for the game, pressing Space will not work but you can use your mouse on the "Press Space" prompt and you should have a menu where you can start a new game or load a saved game.

I just played through the Devlin Mines and played a portion of the Pinwheel Harbor in the game with almost no performance issues.
Post edited September 04, 2016 by JudasIscariot
TaxAkla: So, I'm receiving an error message about no package exist for vcrun2015.
It's not a package, it's installed via winetricks or am I misunderstanding your post?
TaxAkla: Sorry, my fault. First, I tried installing through Play On Linux. Didn't found vcrun2015 with winecfg, so I opened a terminal and wrote "winetricks vcrun2015". The output returned an error message: "Unknown arg vcrun2015".

Where do I get that vcrun2015? Maybe I need to register another PPA? I always installed through POL, so sorry if this is a noob question.
Hmmm. Can you tell me your winetricks version?

Just type "winetricks --version" (without " ") in the terminal, please.
TaxAkla: @JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: Hmmm. Can you tell me your winetricks version?

Just type "winetricks --version" (without " ") in the terminal, please.
TaxAkla: I'll try to update Winetricks.
This is the output:
20140817 - sha1sum: b6ad9287523453a33e443ef2f4bd77f2f7f49e21
Yeah, that's very old. Can you check which version your distro carries? The newest version of winetricks will recognize the vcrun2015 argument and it comes with a self-update utility as well :)

This is the latest version after running the --self-update command:

20160724 - sha1sum: 8180ca45e0506f480f1a3720787819950864289e