It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

We Happy Few, the stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, 15% off until August 13th, 7:00am UTC.

Did you take your happiness pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular doses, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.
You are not seeing any of that, are you? Because if so, you better run, hide, or quickly take your Joy with a nice cup of tea.
Fast.
Before we find you and feed it to you.

Note: Owners of the In Development version do not need to purchase the game again.
groze: I'd rather pay $60 for their game if they removed all that's subpar about it and left only what's good: the art design and the story. So, I'd rather pay $60 for a walking sim version of We Happy Few, than for whatever mess it is trying to be.
Comments like this exemplify what I mean, as I am the opposite I generally see more value in tons of ambition even if the potential is not fully realized. I can't speak on the frequent comparison of No Man's Sky, as it never held interest for me. But the "tons of ambition but plenty of imperfection" approach is what I always loved about "AA"-gaming. It is sorely missed in the gaming world. And, despite how others may feel, I do not consider most indie games to be on the same level as "AA"-gaming, which is why I support the ones that I feel are.

Along these lines, I feel that GOG benefits from bigger-scale games like this. There are already enough walking simulators here, to say nothing of other stores. Can anyone honestly claim that indie gaming world needs more walking simulators? An alternative, dystopian Bioshock-like game, though? Yes please! A rich, story-driven strategy game brimming with possibility, like Phantom Doctrine? Yes please! I found Death's Gambit worthy of purchase too, but I still maintain we would benefit from having bigger-scale games (not necessarily meaning what is considered "AAA" these days, though).
richlind33: I'd love to know if Gearbox advised them to handle their transformation from indy to "AAA" in the manner that they did. o.O
groze: I honestly don't know, we can only assume that they did, but Compulsion said time and time again (even in that reddit AMA paladin181 linked to earlier) that Gearbox Publishing didn't even help them, financially, they just did... advertising work. So, if Compulsion themselves are so eager to exonerate and defend Gearbox, there's only one party left to blame for all this mess, and that's... Compulsion Games.

To be fair: they had announced the price increase way earlier in development, their community knew about that. What no one knew was how steep of a hike it would end up being, or that the devs would be delusional enough to think their game was worth more than Witcher 3, when it's not offering one half of the content or the quality. I'm not talking about play time, they're different genres of games, but there's a certain sense of quality, content and polish you get from Witcher 3 that simply isn't there on We Happy Few. It looks and feels... cheap.

I guess there's no easy way to objectively evaluate the worth of a game compared to its price; I'm not one of those people who think "$$$ = Hours of play", I'd be willing to pay AAA price for a short adventure game, if it had enough quality writing, if the story feels fresh and is doing something new, if the characters are well-developed, etc. I'd pay AAA price for a short action game with excellent gameplay mechanics, fluid controls, polished graphics. The amount of time I spend in a game isn't reason enough, for me, to make it worth AAA price, but that's what Compulsion did: they added two extra characters in order to expand the gameplay time, to justify the price. But that doesn't take away all the stuff that makes the game mediocre: boring stealth, old and frustrating survival mechanics, awful NPC AI, appalling implementation of procedural generation. No matter how much time you spend trying to overcome the fetch quests and the bad combat in order to appreciate the decent story, that same time doesn't mean the game is worth the $60, because it wasn't time well spent. I'd rather pay $60 for their game if they removed all that's subpar about it and left only what's good: the art design and the story. So, I'd rather pay $60 for a walking sim version of We Happy Few, than for whatever mess it is trying to be.
At least they're smart enough to not throw Gearbox under the bus. ;p
groze: I'd rather pay $60 for their game if they removed all that's subpar about it and left only what's good: the art design and the story. So, I'd rather pay $60 for a walking sim version of We Happy Few, than for whatever mess it is trying to be.
rjbuffchix: Comments like this exemplify what I mean, as I am the opposite I generally see more value in tons of ambition even if the potential is not fully realized. I can't speak on the frequent comparison of No Man's Sky, as it never held interest for me. But the "tons of ambition but plenty of imperfection" approach is what I always loved about "AA"-gaming. It is sorely missed in the gaming world. And, despite how others may feel, I do not consider most indie games to be on the same level as "AA"-gaming, which is why I support the ones that I feel are.

Along these lines, I feel that GOG benefits from bigger-scale games like this. There are already enough walking simulators here, to say nothing of other stores. Can anyone honestly claim that indie gaming world needs more walking simulators? An alternative, dystopian Bioshock-like game, though? Yes please! A rich, story-driven strategy game brimming with possibility, like Phantom Doctrine? Yes please! I found Death's Gambit worthy of purchase too, but I still maintain we would benefit from having bigger-scale games (not necessarily meaning what is considered "AAA" these days, though).
The thing is: the only two good things about We Happy Few are the art and the story. Everything else is either passable, mediocre, or downright bad. You're not buying ambition, you're buying a game. If most of the game works badly, remove it, leave only what's good about it, at least you'll end up with a good game. And if Compulsion removed all that's dragging the game down, they'd be left with a walking simulator. A pretty good one, at that, too.

And, yes, I love indie and "AA" games, too, for mostly the same reasons as you: they're willing to innovate and try new things, within a certain scope. But indie and "AA" titles don't sell for AAA prices and offer a promise of a DLC on top of that.

You want alternative distopian Bioshock? Go play Bioshock, then. We Happy Few is NOTHING like Bioshock, I don't understand where people got that idea from. Bioshock is not a carbon copy of The Prisoner TV series with some George Orwell thrown in for good measure. Bioshock's combat may not be the best ever, but it's definitely better than the one in We Happy Few. Bioshock's levels aren't put together at random, making you run miles and miles and miles through barren, empty terrain just to go fetch something for a quest, then making you go all the way back -- oh, and if you go through a populated area? Tough luck, you'll have to walk, or a Bobby might suspect you're off your Joy and suddenly THE WHOLE TOWN is after you and know exactly where you are. So much for ambition, when you can't execute what myriads of other games did so well before.

Also: for someone who seems to be so pro-innovation, you sure are biased against walking sims, which are some of the most ambitious games in recent memory. Not in terms of gameplay, I agree, but they're some of the most artistic, philosophical, psychological and literary experiences video games have ever given us. I, for one, welcome MORE walking sims on both GOG and the video game market as a whole. Let indie studios make their walking sims, customers will get to decide which ones are good or bad. Either way, no walking sim will ever sell for AAA price + DLC, and all that Compulsion added to We Happy Few was just that, buddy: more walking sim parts hidden beneath awful mechanics that Pathologic, The Long Dark, Dying Light, Dishonored, Thief, F.E.A.R., Hitman, etc all did way better, years and years before.
That AMA is ridiculous IMO.

They put the blame on gamers for hating Gearbox even though they had/have very just cause for doing so.

But they won't put any blame on themselves for price-gouging on the main game, or for selling a "Collector's Edition" for $150 USD which doesn't even include any version of the game.

Their new excuse for why the game is $60 seems to be "because we added a story to it." But that same story should have been added in the first place, at the game's original cost of $30 USD. And I believe that was the original premise (i.e. saying they are going to add the story soon) that they went with when gamers first criticized the game for being crap with no story, before they had even considered to ally with Gearbox and switch to the price-gouging strategy.

My theory for why the devs haven't attempted damage control here on GOG is because they know the users here are extremely savvy, and so will see right through & debunk whatever flakey excuses they come up with for these debacles...which would make them look worse than if they do no damage control here at all.
Post edited August 16, 2018 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Ancient-Red-Dragon: My theory for why the devs haven't attempted damage control here on GOG is because they know the users here are extremely savvy, and so will see right through & debunk whatever flakey excuses they come up with for these debacles...which would make them look worse than if they do no damage control here at all.
More realistically, I think GOG is simply not a priority to them. Steam is their primary sales platform ( along with sales on consoles ), and they know they can reach more people via sites such as reddit. They probably don't care much about GOG, and even less so about the handful of grumpy old gamers on this forum. For all I know, they only released their game on GOG because promises of a DRM-free version were part of their crowdfunding campaign. Let's wait and see if they bother to keep the GOG version up to date/patched up.
>It's baffling, to me, how these devs thought their game was worth this much money just because of the two characters they added, and how entitled they are as to tell us we don't know how the industry works and how their game is a labour of love and passion that is more than worth the price of admission.

This is just crazy excuse to be used to defend bad game, because then people will throw at your direction examples of good games made with love and passion and devs who didn't sold out to Gearbox (of all companies); Hollow Knight (perfected in every aspect, fulfilling every Kickstater promise and sold for 15$), The Long Dark, RimWorld, Dwarf Fortress, Cuphead (those guys who remortgaged their houses to fund their game, remember?), Divinity: Original Sin 1&2 (and devs who're releasing - for free to all owners - upgraded edition fixing everything and adding shitton new stuff), Stardew Valley (work of ONE person), VA-11 Hall-A (literally "sell the game and move out of Venezuela" situation for devs)...

Gamers are more than capable of recognizing games made with love and passion and respect it and support it; it's just We Happy Few isn't one of those games.

>I honestly don't know, we can only assume that they did, but Compulsion said time and time again (even in that reddit AMA paladin181 linked to earlier) that Gearbox Publishing didn't even help them, financially, they just did... advertising work.

I haven't looked into AMA yet, but this is a lie. (Also, quick correction of what you've written a bit later: What no one knew was how steep of a hike it would end up being - 60$ price tag was announced as soon as they partnered with Gearbox, links I'll provide below shows it).

https://compulsiongames.com/en/news/138/we-are-coming-to-xbox-one-pc-and-ps4-on-april-13-2018!
>To do this, we sought additional funding, based on the enthusiasm showed by everyone at E3, and grew the team to make the game you wanted.
There's no mention of ANY other company doing additional funding (unless they were already talking with MS), which means that it was probably Gearbox.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-18-early-access-sales-helped-we-happy-few-dev-compulsion-quadruple-in-size
>"It's a testament to how much the game and team has grown that Compulsion now spends more money every single month developing We Happy Few than what our entire Kickstarter campaign earned," Provost says.

He said it in August 2017. Even if it was only from August to release, let's say 11 months, it means they've to spend FOUR million on it (in less than a year); such money doesn't come from Early Access; and in case of those few lucky games that got such (or even more) money from EA, it raises a question - why you need a publisher, and why you need publisher like Gearbox (claiming you've turned down a lot of publishers in the meantime) if your game is doing so well?

So either they lied about spending so much money on it, or they're lying on Reddit right now claiming they didn't get anything from Gearbox but advertising.
te_lanus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx3kPmd9hjI
You've been warned :P /s
In this case Jim's review is not to be trusted, since it's quite obviously flawed by personal bias stemming not from the game itself, but from a twitter comment by one of the game's writers. Just listen to the tone he uses throughout the video, It is nothing short of vitriolic, certainly underserving of whatever sins this game has committed. And this is not the first time he has allowed temper to get the better of him when reviewing a game. Remember the case of the Hellblade bug that broke his savefile and caused him to rank the game with a 1/10?

If you exclude the tone of anger and resentment that permeates his rant (it's not possible to call it a review at this point), he does bring up some valid points. The techinical bugs and glitches and game-breaking bugs seem to be abundant, to the point of being unacceptable in a finished product, and customers shouldn't consider it acceptable either.

I enjoy Jim's style quite a bit. I like his hyperbole and "fuck you" attitude in his videos, but in this case I think he's completely off-kilter. He took a commentary from a dev writer about the message and creative process behind the game and took it as a personal insult. Showing not only how thin-skinned he is about some matters, but how he's capable of throwing toddler level temper tantrums about the stupidest things.

But then again, he did admit that the reason for his anger is because he's sort of clinically crazy so...
Post edited August 16, 2018 by j0ekerr
rjbuffchix: Comments like this exemplify what I mean, as I am the opposite I generally see more value in tons of ambition even if the potential is not fully realized. I can't speak on the frequent comparison of No Man's Sky, as it never held interest for me. But the "tons of ambition but plenty of imperfection" approach is what I always loved about "AA"-gaming. It is sorely missed in the gaming world. And, despite how others may feel, I do not consider most indie games to be on the same level as "AA"-gaming, which is why I support the ones that I feel are.
The only part of their ambitions in which they "succeeded" is the pricing. If "at least they tried hard" regardless of actual result is worth $60 to you that's your prerogative, of course.
reative00: >It's baffling, to me, how these devs thought their game was worth this much money just because of the two characters they added, and how entitled they are as to tell us we don't know how the industry works and how their game is a labour of love and passion that is more than worth the price of admission.

This is just crazy excuse to be used to defend bad game, because then people will throw at your direction examples of good games made with love and passion and devs who didn't sold out to Gearbox (of all companies); Hollow Knight (perfected in every aspect, fulfilling every Kickstater promise and sold for 15$), The Long Dark, RimWorld, Dwarf Fortress, Cuphead (those guys who remortgaged their houses to fund their game, remember?), Divinity: Original Sin 1&2 (and devs who're releasing - for free to all owners - upgraded edition fixing everything and adding shitton new stuff), Stardew Valley (work of ONE person), VA-11 Hall-A (literally "sell the game and move out of Venezuela" situation for devs)...

Gamers are more than capable of recognizing games made with love and passion and respect it and support it; it's just We Happy Few isn't one of those games.

>I honestly don't know, we can only assume that they did, but Compulsion said time and time again (even in that reddit AMA paladin181 linked to earlier) that Gearbox Publishing didn't even help them, financially, they just did... advertising work.

I haven't looked into AMA yet, but this is a lie. (Also, quick correction of what you've written a bit later: What no one knew was how steep of a hike it would end up being - 60$ price tag was announced as soon as they partnered with Gearbox, links I'll provide below shows it).

https://compulsiongames.com/en/news/138/we-are-coming-to-xbox-one-pc-and-ps4-on-april-13-2018!
>To do this, we sought additional funding, based on the enthusiasm showed by everyone at E3, and grew the team to make the game you wanted.
There's no mention of ANY other company doing additional funding (unless they were already talking with MS), which means that it was probably Gearbox.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-18-early-access-sales-helped-we-happy-few-dev-compulsion-quadruple-in-size
>"It's a testament to how much the game and team has grown that Compulsion now spends more money every single month developing We Happy Few than what our entire Kickstarter campaign earned," Provost says.

He said it in August 2017. Even if it was only from August to release, let's say 11 months, it means they've to spend FOUR million on it (in less than a year); such money doesn't come from Early Access; and in case of those few lucky games that got such (or even more) money from EA, it raises a question - why you need a publisher, and why you need publisher like Gearbox (claiming you've turned down a lot of publishers in the meantime) if your game is doing so well?

So either they lied about spending so much money on it, or they're lying on Reddit right now claiming they didn't get anything from Gearbox but advertising.
I agree 100% with everything you said, I'd just like to point out something you misunderstood about my post: When I said people knew about a price hike but didn't know the price it was going to sell for, I was talking about the pre-Gearbox days. According to Compulsion (and some of the fans, mostly in their own or Steam's forums), they had always been "extremely open with the community", and both Kickstarter backers and Early Access adopters had been notified about an eventual raise in price way before they signed with Gearbox as a publisher. I didn't mean the Gearbox Publishing announcement; when they made that official announcement it was always clear the game would be selling for the price of a AAA title, the $60 for the game, $30 for the DLC and $150 for the "collector's edition" with no game have been known prices for over a year. But apparently they had always said the game wouldn't sell for $30 after release before that.
Oh, okay, sorry for the missunderstanding; I thought you were saying that post-Gearbox exact price wasn't announced. Happy we've cleared this one! :)
j0ekerr: In this case Jim's review is not to be trusted, since it's quite obviously flawed by personal bias stemming not from the game itself, but from a twitter comment by one of the game's writers. Just listen to the tone he uses throughout the video, It is nothing short of vitriolic, certainly underserving of whatever sins this game has committed. And this is not the first time he has allowed temper to get the better of him when reviewing a game. Remember the case of the Hellblade bug that broke his savefile and caused him to rank the game with a 1/10?

If you exclude the tone of anger and resentment that permeates his rant (it's not possible to call it a review at this point), he does bring up some valid points. The techinical bugs and glitches and game-breaking bugs seem to be abundant, to the point of being unacceptable in a finished product, and customers shouldn't consider it acceptable either.

I enjoy Jim's style quite a bit. I like his hyperbole and "fuck you" attitude in his videos, but in this case I think he's completely off-kilter. He took a commentary from a dev writer about the message and creative process behind the game and took it as a personal insult. Showing not only how thin-skinned he is about some matters, but how he's capable of throwing toddler level temper tantrums about the stupidest things.

But then again, he did admit that the reason for his anger is because he's sort of clinically crazy so...
Haven't a clue what you're on about because this is how Jim always sounds. It's part of his shtick.
low rated
deleted
Fairfox: no idea who this is, buuut his voice mek me want 2 kill mahself
Reading your posts sometimes does that to me. lol

And how dare you be as opinionated as I am! ;p
deleted
richlind33: Reading your posts sometimes does that to me. lol

And how dare you be as opinionated as I am! ;p
Fairfox: lol richland! \(^o^)/
it just process