It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

We Happy Few, the stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, 15% off until August 13th, 7:00am UTC.

Did you take your happiness pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular doses, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.
You are not seeing any of that, are you? Because if so, you better run, hide, or quickly take your Joy with a nice cup of tea.
Fast.
Before we find you and feed it to you.

Note: Owners of the In Development version do not need to purchase the game again.
Ya asking me to bleed 60 euros out of my non-existent budget for a game that's been in early access for who knows how long and has less than middling reviews? You're out of your gourd, game.
Oh my god.

Act II (second character) drops all illusions of the first one that was - still buggy, mentioned in my previous post -playable. Now it's just bugs on bugs, wired in bugs around more bugs.

Example; your character cannot stun enemies who're plagued. Your character also cannot equip heavy weapons (which, also, are debatable; she can carry cricket bat, that according to wiki weights between 1.2 to 1.4kg, but she cannot equip a frying pan).
Here's fun thing; military base (hostile location for your character in Act I but supposedly friendly to your character in Act II) can be connected to either of two islands; in case you're unlucky and it got connected to plagued one, it means that whole military base (quite a big location) is not possible to explore and you cannot use safe house there; your only way is killing about ~100 inhabitants. As a non-heavy weapon wielder, a stealth+stun chick who don't have health nor stamina. Enjoy!
It's even funnier when you consider how friendly is gate guard (scripted), but guy after him will attack you as soon as you pass the gate.

Scripted AI of plagued characters it's... below anything else in the game. There's location you need to visit and there's a plague-infected guy there; he's gonna knock on the door (your only way of getting in); you can't distract him by throwing objects (none of the plague-ridden NPCs can be distracted nor stunned), he'll still gonna knock. You can lockpick the door standing right behind him, then you can attack him (thus he'll start chasing you instead of banging on the door) to be able to pass him and go inside; and then there's the best part; it seems that game thinks you HAD to knock him out (actually kill him) before going in; so as soon as you step inside he'll go back to banging on OPEN doors.
reative00: Oh my god.

Act II (second character) drops all illusions of the first one that was - still buggy, mentioned in my previous post -playable. Now it's just bugs on bugs, wired in bugs around more bugs.

Example; your character cannot stun enemies who're plagued. Your character also cannot equip heavy weapons (which, also, are debatable; she can carry cricket bat, that according to wiki weights between 1.2 to 1.4kg, but she cannot equip a frying pan).
Here's fun thing; military base (hostile location for your character in Act I but supposedly friendly to your character in Act II) can be connected to either of two islands; in case you're unlucky and it got connected to plagued one, it means that whole military base (quite a big location) is not possible to explore and you cannot use safe house there; your only way is killing about ~100 inhabitants. As a non-heavy weapon wielder, a stealth+stun chick who don't have health nor stamina. Enjoy!
It's even funnier when you consider how friendly is gate guard (scripted), but guy after him will attack you as soon as you pass the gate.

Scripted AI of plagued characters it's... below anything else in the game. There's location you need to visit and there's a plague-infected guy there; he's gonna knock on the door (your only way of getting in); you can't distract him by throwing objects (none of the plague-ridden NPCs can be distracted nor stunned), he'll still gonna knock. You can lockpick the door standing right behind him, then you can attack him (thus he'll start chasing you instead of banging on the door) to be able to pass him and go inside; and then there's the best part; it seems that game thinks you HAD to knock him out (actually kill him) before going in; so as soon as you step inside he'll go back to banging on OPEN doors.
You need to get her into the kitchen to equip the frying pan. >.> No? Sorry. I'll see myself out.
paladin181: And once again GOG fucks up. I'll bet the game doesn't show as owned in the store pages Strike that, it actually does... But I have no Jolly Brolly despite having pre-ordered. Anyone else?
Don't blame it on GOG, blame it on the devs. People are having the exact same issue with the Steam version.

All in all, this has been a huge cluster... fornication. Luckily, most of the people paid the old In Dev price of roughly $30, because this definitely isn't worth the 60 bucks.
CharlesGrey: I also liked No Man's Sky, and don't regret buying a copy, but in retrospect I wish I would have picked it up later on, at a lower price and in a more refined state.
Me too. And actually I'm one of the (probably very few) ones who think that the barebone "explore the universe" release version without all the story and base building shenanigans really hit the spot. I'm kind of tempted to roll back to the pre-upgrade version all the time. On the other hand - building your base really is fun. And I kinda would miss the HiRes textures too.
CharlesGrey: I also liked No Man's Sky, and don't regret buying a copy, but in retrospect I wish I would have picked it up later on, at a lower price and in a more refined state.
toxicTom: Me too. And actually I'm one of the (probably very few) ones who think that the barebone "explore the universe" release version without all the story and base building shenanigans really hit the spot. I'm kind of tempted to roll back to the pre-upgrade version all the time. On the other hand - building your base really is fun. And I kinda would miss the HiRes textures too.
I enjoyed No Man's Sky, while it lasted, even in its original release version. I'm not usually into space games, but the seamless exploration and overwhelming scale of the game world/ universe made it a rather unique experience. Strangely enough, the early version actually had smoother performance on my system, so I haven't played the later releases much.
CharlesGrey: I enjoyed No Man's Sky, while it lasted, even in its original release version. I'm not usually into space games, but the seamless exploration and overwhelming scale of the game world/ universe made it a rather unique experience. Strangely enough, the early version actually had smoother performance on my system, so I haven't played the later releases much.
The performance got better for me (because I bought a new rig in between), but I found the original release a lot more meditative and relaxing...
GOGer: my sentiments exactly. which regions have price discrimination for this game?
robertgg: UK for one.
We buy the same goods in the same store but are charged differently based on that we "don't live in the right part of town"
If someone is charged more for the same item base purely on where you live that is (personal opinion) discrimination pure and simple.
Do you want to talk about discrimination based on location?
Look around. Almost everything you see (no matter where you are now, in what room, where you sit), and so, almost everything that you see is different in price in different countries. The room itself (real estate), a table, a chair, furniture, a computer, behind which you write it or a phone from which you write. Even the electricity in a socket. Clothes on you. Food in the store. Petrol. Almost ALL! Even the f*king Big Mac in McDuck's, which is the same everywhere, varies in price: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
And for the same work in different countries pay a different salary. And they pay different taxes. Therefore, people from poorer countries sometimes move (sometimes illegally) to the richer. This is called migration. Because there you can get more for what you do the same. Or do not do anything but sit on the allowance (which is also more).
Why do you think that the price of games should be the same for everyone? In an ideal world, perhaps.
Do you think that you are being discriminated? Move to a country where prices for games are less. Only, I think you have a dozen reasons why you do not want to do it.

There is a reason why the price of games varies by region.
There are countries where a game worth 60 euros will manage to sell for the whole country pieces of 10. And earn 600 euros total. If you set the price of 30 euros, sell 100 pieces and earn 3000 euros on this. Or set a price of 15 euros and sell 1,000 pieces. Well, you understand math.
But putting the price below a certain one will not give additional sales. Here are games and sell often for these "optimal prices." Maximizing profits, minimizing losses. Wrong pick the price, and do not sell anything.
People like you work for Microsoft. And the license for Windows is the same everywhere (except for China, haha). Therefore, they will not be able to defeat Windows piracy in some countries. Too stubborn to understand that not everywhere are ready to spend a month's salary on a license for Windows.

Move to Brazil*! Games will be cheaper, carnival, Rio, the sun ... AND ALL THE REST.
*Do not forget to learn Portuguese.
Or China. Also cheaper games. I checked the list - you still have many options for migration.
AlienMind: Except in Deadly Premonition the characters are quirky, adorable and memorable.
muddysneakers: I'll give you quirky and memorable but York was a condescending dick to just about everyone in that game. And every part of that game that wasn't cutscenes or dialogue should have been cut. I would have preferred one long movie than the actual gameplay sadly.
Well, I liked exploring and e.g. finding the black marks in Emilys kitchen... looks like someone cooked drugs lol . Gave the characters even more depth. Also, York has to be the detached cool guy because of story. But I get what you are saying in general and I wish SWERY would get his ass off his newest game, which I'm sure will be another cracker, and make it so the game (which is being sold here for example) is even complete-able on modern systems (there is a bug where you can't aim to ground with mouse which is a game breaking bug)
Post edited August 13, 2018 by AlienMind
I'll wait for the Linux version on GOG...

ha! I kill myself.
When the devs doubled the price for this game and then tried to do damage-control PR over that debacle, they basically said: the game is now worth $60 USD because it has increased in scope, but we still can't tell you why it's worth that much money; you just have to trust us & wait and see when it is released.

Now that it's been released, the question of why it's worth $60 USD remains unanswered & unclear.

Maybe the devs can finally try to explain the answer to that now, given that there is no longer any need for them to be secretive about what's in the game.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: When the devs doubled the price for this game and then tried to do damage-control PR over that debacle, they basically said: the game is now worth $60 USD because it has increased in scope, but we still can't tell you why it's worth that much money; you just have to trust us & wait and see when it is released.

Now that it's been released, the question of why it's worth $60 USD remains unanswered & unclear.

Maybe the devs can finally try to explain the answer to that now, given that there is no longer any need for them to be secretive about what's in the game.
I disagree. It is unequivocally *not* worth the absurd asking price because the developer couldn't even manage to release a finished product, much less something that provides more than what is expected from an above average, indy release.
Post edited August 13, 2018 by richlind33
Ancient-Red-Dragon: When the devs doubled the price for this game and then tried to do damage-control PR over that debacle, they basically said: the game is now worth $60 USD because it has increased in scope, but we still can't tell you why it's worth that much money; you just have to trust us & wait and see when it is released.

It's not.
The funny (and sad) thing about it is, they could easily remove a lot of things from this title, making it more polished and streamlined and then ask for 60$, but instead, they choose to add "a little bit of everything".

You have beautiful quest locations; then you have empty, randomly generated open world where you have to just run across the same fields or streets for hundreds of meters.

You have fun chemical recipes (act II) to fight with people so in theory there's a lot of ways to deal with every situation; all of them require you to spend a shitton of time on crafting bench to craft ingredients for ingredients for components for actual weapons. And then half of them doesn't work (i.e. berserker syringe that's suppose to make target attack nearest person will just make him run round and round).

You have a lot of weapons and you can craft a lot of them; but since crafting is annoying and not fun and weapons are as durable as Tesla on autopilot, you're just picking up whatever lies nearby and fight with it, as it doesn't change damage THAT much.

The story is good; even quests where you have to go and fetch something tells you quite a lot about this world, but they're often on the opposite side of the map. So if you're unlucky and fast travel doesn't work - back to running across the fields.

They could've easy use complicated (but static!) map design (i.e. System Shock 2) and I guarantee you people would have more fun with it; they clearly proved they can make nice locations and map design so throwing it out of the window for the sake of "randomly generated" is just stupid. Random map generation works when there's purpose to it; here, there is not.

Damn it's so fucking disappointing that another potentially great game ends up with a too ambitious dev team that - as usual, with indie and "too ambitious" - ends up badly.
reative00: They could've easy use complicated (but static!) map design (i.e. System Shock 2) and I guarantee you people would have more fun with it; they clearly proved they can make nice locations and map design so throwing it out of the window for the sake of "randomly generated" is just stupid. Random map generation works when there's purpose to it; here, there is not.
Yes, it's stupid. When I first read that they were going to use randomly generated levels, I immediately asked 'why'? A setting like this works best with well crafted levels and all the reviews and videos show, that the random generation just doesn't produce good results. What a surprise. My guess is that they realized during development that they had promised more than they can keep and they started to cut corners quite early. And one of the corners they cut is actual level-design. 'Hey, let's just use a random generator. That's much less work. And procedurally generated is a marketing catch-phrase anyhow.'

Well, yes. 'Procedurally generated' is a widely used label all right. But for me it is a label that means 'don't buy'! And in this case, again, that label translation is correct.
Lifthrasil: When I first read that they were going to use randomly generated levels,
NOT RANDOM!

Stop using random incorrectly, guys! Please!

There IS level design in procedural generation! It is by definition NOT random!