It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

We Happy Few, the stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, 15% off until August 13th, 7:00am UTC.

Did you take your happiness pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular doses, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.
You are not seeing any of that, are you? Because if so, you better run, hide, or quickly take your Joy with a nice cup of tea.
Fast.
Before we find you and feed it to you.

Note: Owners of the In Development version do not need to purchase the game again.
No Happy Few's Sky xD
More than 2 times more expensive than Witcher 3 GOTY in my location. For the ORDINARY version of We Happy Few.
These guys are very presumptuous. :)
Post edited August 10, 2018 by Loger13
pacciulli: Gearbox, eh? So, can we expect Duke Nukem games back on here someday?
Very unlikely I'd say.

If I remember correctly, it's simply thanks to Compulsion's early commitment to a DRM-free release on gog.com - before Gearbox got involved - that We Happy Few is sold on gog.com in the first place. If Gearbox & Randy Pitchard (who seems to hate the guts of everything DRM-free) had been brought on board earlier things most probably would have turned out very differently.
When the price drops to the original price, regional discriminating price removed and a 70% discount then maybe.
high rated
groze: Awww, yes, let the shitstorm begin! :D

I won't lie, I'm more hyped to see this game fail than I am about upcoming games I actually want to play.

So far, reviews seem to be mediocre. Combat is bad (one customer even calls it "Sea of Thieves bad"), the game is shock full of bugs -- some of which carried over from the Early Access days.

I'm a terrible person, I know; I'm really happy to see this project crumble and fail, they have been botching everything ever since they joined with Gearbox and eventually got their asses bought by Microsoft. I love it. <3
CharlesGrey: That's pretty harsh -- for the sake of the devs, and the people who were looking forward to the game, I hope it turned out to be good.

That said, I don't approve of their questionable business shenanigans, either. When you develop a game with the aid of crowd-funding, and rely on the trust of your supporters, you don't do a 180 and sign a deal with a traditional AAA publisher halfway through the development process. I doubt many would have donated to the campaign, knowing that it's a Gearbox or Microsoft production.

And then there's the price tag... Based on what I've heard so far, it just isn't worth that kinda dough. Seems like No Man's Sky all over again. GOG sells various Indie games with AA/ AAA like production values, at much more reasonable price points. ( Hellblade, Legend of Grimrock 2, or the modern Shadow Warrior games, to name a few. )

To top it off: Apparently they're already working on story content available via a "season pass"? So you have to pay even more, to experience the full story. And they threw in some silly pre-order bonus items, just to complete the whole pseudo-AAA nonsense.
I didn't really want to engage in clever conversation about this, as I'm not the most pragmatic person around, and my arguments just end up being logical fallacies. I honestly just want to see this game do poorly, that's all there is to it.

At some point in the past, I was mildly interested in We Happy Few, but Compulsion changed the concept so many times, it got to a point where I wasn't even sure what kind of game it was trying to be, anymore. In Compulsion's defense, they have been very open, indeed, but that doesn't nullify the fact that they outright lied to the people backing their game. Kickstarter backers were funding one thing, then Early Access customers were funding a new thing, and when they signed with Gearbox the game became yet a new thing, that neither Kickstarter or Early Access backers signed up for. Of course, the game has its fans, Compulsion has people who will vouch for them no matter what, but after No Man's Sky I think the vast majority of the gaming community is more aware of stuff like this. And despite the fact I actually liked No Man's Sky a lot on release, and that I think Hello Games has been redeeming themselves with every post-release patch and update, I'm not taking their side for one second: their game was a blunder, a mess and a wake-up call; one that Compulsion and other indie studios should have learned their lessons from, but apparently didn't. The thing is, after No Man's Sky, this kind of move simply won't fly anymore.

Once you start as indie but sign with a big publisher mid way through development, particularly one that gamers hate as much as Gearbox, you're pretty much screwed and spitting in the face of all the people who had been supporting you up until that point. Compulsion has argued that this is far from the truth, it was just means to "make the best possible game they and the fans wanted and deserved". Well... after the first reviews are in, I think it's safe to call BS on that. And I get it, they're shut off from the world, working on their game, their project, they actually think it's great and innovative and probably worth the $60 price of admission. But it isn't. It's procedurally-generated Bioshock with worse writing, three story campaigns (one of which is apparently really bad and forced in) and crafting mechanics. It apparently plays like crap and is overflowing with bugs, with most reviewers stating it should have stayed in Early Access for at least another year. They sold people a vision and a concept (three concepts, actually), and we had to take their word for it, paying AAA money for a game that was going to be released after Witcher 3 -- and Witcher 3 basically set a quality standard that is VERY hard to meet, even when you sign with Gearbox (and get bought by Microsoft) --, when it's pretty clear that their game is worth $40 tops. Not to mention the additional $30 for a Season Pass that, if things go as bad as I expect them to go, has no right to exist, because not that many people are interested in the game, or they will be asking for refunds in the next couple of days.

And this brings me to my last point: hype for the game is dead, and Compulsion is to blame for that. The backlash for the price hike and the signing with Gearbox was so huge that they had to go quiet for a while, after some damage control and some PR talk disguised as "we are being so open with you, guys, we don't deserve this treatment". Which is understandable. But it leads to the game being largely forgotten, and when it resurfaces, people are going to be mad about the same things again, either because they had forgotten about them, or because they are being confronted with this for the first time, despite it being an old issue.

I don't pretend to hide my views behind being "pro-consumer" and as a warning to potential customers, I can see every practical and objective side of this issue, but I'm honestly just motivated by drama and I truly am rooting for this project to fail, because of petty reasons like these dudes shitting on the people who support them TWICE, signing with Gearbox, raising the price from $30 to $60 and then getting bought by Microsoft.
Post edited August 10, 2018 by groze
so far based on reviews the game fails miserably to deliver value worth it's hiked up 60$ AAA price. And worse, it appears to be yet another "release now fix later (or not at all)" shitshow. So nope, if we have to wait months anyway to get something at least roughly resembling playable version I might as well set alert for 75% discount on ITAD and happily forget about this game for next few months

and I really, really hope the stunt with "this is now AAA game (in cost and nothing else)" severely backfires for developers
mannefriedrich: If Gearbox & Randy Pitchard (who seems to hate the guts of everything DRM-free) had been brought on board earlier things most probably would have turned out very differently.
Yet somehow the Homeworld games made their way here, which makes it even more perplexing that the Duke hasn't returned.
The game has been released and no sign of Manywhelps ( Compulsion Games ) in this thread . Strange isn't it ?
i_hope_you_rot: The game has been released and no sign of Manywhelps ( Compulsion Games ) in this thread . Strange isn't it ?
Not at all.
The other platform still is the firstborn and therefore naturally gets all the attention.

mannefriedrich: If Gearbox & Randy Pitchard (who seems to hate the guts of everything DRM-free) had been brought on board earlier things most probably would have turned out very differently.
Mr.Mumbles: Yet somehow the Homeworld games made their way here, which makes it even more perplexing that the Duke hasn't returned.
Completely forgot about the Homeworlds.
And yes, this certainly raises even more question marks.
Post edited August 14, 2018 by mannefriedrich
low rated
deleted
Post edited August 10, 2018 by Fairfox
i_hope_you_rot: The game has been released and no sign of Manywhelps ( Compulsion Games ) in this thread . Strange isn't it ?
mannefriedrich: Not at all.
The other platform still is the firstborn and therefore naturally gets all the attention.

Mr.Mumbles: Yet somehow the Homeworld games made their way here, which makes it even more perplexing that the Duke hasn't returned.
mannefriedrich: Completely forgot about the Homeworlds.
And yes, this certainly raises even more questions marks.
Pitchford has nothing to do with Gearbox Publishing, they're a separate entity from Gearbox; kind of like CD Projekt RED and GOG are sister companies under the CD Projekt Group umbrella. I might not love Gearbox Publishing, but they deserve no hate for Randy Pitchford because... well... he's not directly connected to them.

Back when Compulsion announced the price hike here on GOG and all hell broke loose in the forums, I passively aggressively asked them to tell Gearbox to bring the Duke Nukem games back to GOG, since they were "such nice guys" and Compulsion praised the relationship they had. I got no reply other than "we'll pass it along".

Still, I'm happy Gearbox Publishing is on GOG, I don't really like the Homeworld games, myself, but a lot of GOG customers do, and it's cool that Gearbox decided to sell them on GOG.
I'm about 2 hours in and so far it's fun. Yes, I would probably feel ripped for 60$, but for 20(?) I paid in early InDev this feel like a rather fair price.

I haven't encountered a bug yet, except for graphical glitches. Not a big deal for me, but I can understand why people who paid 60$ are feeling ripped off.

Survival mechanics were toned down A LOT, you can no longer die from thirst/hunger (if you're full; you can run longer and use less stamina; if you're starving; you can run less and you use more stamina). Playing via stealth is too easy as AI is (unfortunately) rather dumb, and you can stun one person, wait for someone to come to investigate, stun him the same way from behind and repeat until there are no enemies left.

The story, so far, is rather smooth - something that was really missing in InDev version I played about year ago. The world also tells a story more than before, via drawings, artworks, and texts.

The procedurally generated open world is something I just personally dislike; I prefer well crafted, connected areas (System Shock 2, Metroidvanias), but so far it hasn't been as much a problem as it is an annoyance.
Developer shenanigans aside (of which I have been thankfully unaware) the reviews of this game read a lot like my feelings on Deadly Premonition: a game with a lot of potential and an interesting story to tell dragged down by terrible gameplay and some frustrating bugs.
groze: I didn't really want to engage in clever conversation about this, as I'm not the most pragmatic person around, and my arguments just end up being logical fallacies. I honestly just want to see this game do poorly, that's all there is to it.

At some point in the past, I was mildly interested in We Happy Few, but Compulsion changed the concept so many times, it got to a point where I wasn't even sure what kind of game it was trying to be, anymore. In Compulsion's defense, they have been very open, indeed, but that doesn't nullify the fact that they outright lied to the people backing their game. Kickstarter backers were funding one thing, then Early Access customers were funding a new thing, and when they signed with Gearbox the game became yet a new thing, that neither Kickstarter or Early Access backers signed up for. Of course, the game has its fans, Compulsion has people who will vouch for them no matter what, but after No Man's Sky I think the vast majority of the gaming community is more aware of stuff like this. And despite the fact I actually liked No Man's Sky a lot on release, and that I think Hello Games has been redeeming themselves with every post-release patch and update, I'm not taking their side for one second: their game was a blunder, a mess and a wake-up call; one that Compulsion and other indie studios should have learned their lessons from, but apparently didn't. The thing is, after No Man's Sky, this kind of move simply won't fly anymore.

Once you start as indie but sign with a big publisher mid way through development, particularly one that gamers hate as much as Gearbox, you're pretty much screwed and spitting in the face of all the people who had been supporting you up until that point. Compulsion has argued that this is far from the truth, it was just means to "make the best possible game they and the fans wanted and deserved". Well... after the first reviews are in, I think it's safe to call BS on that. And I get it, they're shut off from the world, working on their game, their project, they actually think it's great and innovative and probably worth the $60 price of admission. But it isn't. It's procedurally-generated Bioshock with worse writing, three story campaigns (one of which is apparently really bad and forced in) and crafting mechanics. It apparently plays like crap and is overflowing with bugs, with most reviewers stating it should have stayed in Early Access for at least another year. They sold people a vision and a concept (three concepts, actually), and we had to take their word for it, paying AAA money for a game that was going to be released after Witcher 3 -- and Witcher 3 basically set a quality standard that is VERY hard to meet, even when you sign with Gearbox (and get bought by Microsoft) --, when it's pretty clear that their game is worth $40 tops. Not to mention the additional $30 for a Season Pass that, if things go as bad as I expect them to go, has no right to exist, because not that many people are interested in the game, or they will be asking for refunds in the next couple of days.

And this brings me to my last point: hype for the game is dead, and Compulsion is to blame for that. The backlash for the price hike and the signing with Gearbox was so huge that they had to go quiet for a while, after some damage control and some PR talk disguised as "we are being so open with you, guys, we don't deserve this treatment". Which is understandable. But it leads to the game being largely forgotten, and when it resurfaces, people are going to be mad about the same things again, either because they had forgotten about them, or because they are being confronted with this for the first time, despite it being an old issue.

I don't pretend to hide my views behind being "pro-consumer" and as a warning to potential customers, I can see every practical and objective side of this issue, but I'm honestly just motivated by drama and I truly am rooting for this project to fail, because of petty reasons like these dudes shitting on the people who support them TWICE, signing with Gearbox, raising the price from $30 to $60 and then getting bought by Microsoft.
Yeah, I agree with most of that. I also liked No Man's Sky, and don't regret buying a copy, but in retrospect I wish I would have picked it up later on, at a lower price and in a more refined state. While I haven't tried We Happy Few, I suspect it's another case of a fairly interesting, but clearly overpriced game. A price point between 30 and 40 bucks seems reasonable to me, but if you include the season pass/deluxe edition, it's currently 2 or 3 times as much.

Besides, maybe the average gamer these days already accepts it as normal, but I'm not really willing to pay the same high price for a purely digital download as I would for a traditional physical edition. I've bought special collector's editions of physical games, with various extras ( books, soundtrack discs, miniatures etc. ) which had lower prices than these entirely digital files they're offering here.

And as you already mentioned, CD Projekt RED have proven that you can develop huge high quality AAA games, and still sell them at fair prices, and without a dependency on alternate sources of income, such as crowd-funding, micro-transactions/ loot boxes etc.
They're AAA dogs now, I won't pay more than $20 for this game, I'll wait for the GOTY type discount when the season pass is complete!
Regional pricing. :(

Good on GoG for giving over $8 worth of store credit if I bought the season pack. Too bad I got the base game on Steam.