It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

We Happy Few, the stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, 15% off until August 13th, 7:00am UTC.

Did you take your happiness pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular doses, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.
You are not seeing any of that, are you? Because if so, you better run, hide, or quickly take your Joy with a nice cup of tea.
Fast.
Before we find you and feed it to you.

Note: Owners of the In Development version do not need to purchase the game again.
It's unfortunate that this game/dev are getting raked over the coals. $60 to run around in a gorgeous, trippy Bioshock-esque world is worth it for me. Besides imo we should be supporting any and all big indie release coming here. We need more games on this tier instead of visual novels, hidden objects, and pixel graphics (even though I love quite a few of the pixel graphic indies). If the incompleteness offends you, you can buy base game and not support DLC.

What I really don't understand is why this particular dev is getting so much backlash when there are other worse examples of recent indies that should be getting backlash but aren't. Take it from someone who still has Ancestor's Legacy preordered on here; dev has not updated GOG users since the day of release (when game was delayed). Heck I think the Yooka Laylee devs are more worthy of scorn than this one.
Hmm . The game disappeared from the 1st place of the popular list .
rjbuffchix: If the incompleteness offends you, you can buy base game and not support DLC.
Or you can wait for the game to be completed in a few years. If the dev doesn't go bankrupt.

Option 1: buy an overpriced, buggy game now and pay again for any additional DLC

Option 2: wait and get the game and all DLCs at a much lower price, after the biggest bugs have been fixed.

And the dev are getting so much flak because they are asking the price of an AAA game for a procedurally generated, unfinished indie title. It's one thing to make a game expensive when you have invested millions out of your own pocket and have to re-gain that investment. But for a game that has been pre-financed via Kickstarter and is an indie title, this kind of price-tag is unreasonable.
rjbuffchix: What I really don't understand is why this particular dev is getting so much backlash when there are other worse examples of recent indies that should be getting backlash but aren't. Take it from someone who still has Ancestor's Legacy preordered on here; dev has not updated GOG users since the day of release (when game was delayed). Heck I think the Yooka Laylee devs are more worthy of scorn than this one.
Because this is the current big release.
Yooka-Laylee was released almost 1,5year ago, why would I still bitch about it?
What Ancestor Legacy is doing is scummy af but you've brought a game from developers mostly known for "Hatred"; why would you even trust them with your pre-order? Also, if the game wasn't released I can hardly bitch at bugs and shitty gameplay, can I?
There was a lot of bad indie games in the past, there was a lot of terrible AAA games. But I'm not gonna write "Bethesda ruined Fallout 3!" or "Mass Effect 3 ending is shite!" in 2018.
richlind33: I disagree. It is unequivocally *not* worth the absurd asking price because the developer couldn't even manage to release a finished product, much less something that provides more than what is expected from an above average, indy release.
Agreed. I would have paid $60US for Hellblade before I did for this mess.
robertgg: When the price drops to the original price, regional discriminating price removed and a 70% discount then maybe.
GOGer: my sentiments exactly. which regions have price discrimination for this game?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/good_news_price_updates/post2453
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/good_news_price_updates/post2454

Regional pricing for the Season Pass is insane. People from most European countries pay 50% more than people from the USA.
PaterAlf: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/good_news_price_updates/post2453
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/good_news_price_updates/post2454

Regional pricing for the Season Pass is insane. People from most European countries pay 50% more than people from the USA.
Wtf ?
regCZ: More than $100 for the game+ season pass ?
Post edited August 13, 2018 by i_hope_you_rot
i_hope_you_rot: Hmm . The game disappeared from the 1st place of the popular list .
Because they are reworking the versions to give people who bought inDev (Early Access) the pre-orde bonus we were promised but have been denied. At least, I certainly HOPE that's what is happening.
i_hope_you_rot: Hmm . The game disappeared from the 1st place of the popular list .
paladin181: Because they are reworking the versions to give people who bought inDev (Early Access) the pre-orde bonus we were promised but have been denied. At least, I certainly HOPE that's what is happening.
That shouldn't affect a best selling list... the store entry is still the same, changing versions of the game in people's libraries shouldn't affect the number of sales or the total revenue of the sales of the game during the weekend.

My guess is that it maybe gave GOG some money during the weekend but now that the software refreshed for the week it's not selling that well, anymore. Which makes sense; why would anyone in their right mind be paying $60 for this?!
I guess the game is gone from the 1st place and not to be seen in the top 25, because the entry was for the preorder package, which has been unlisted.

https://www.gogdb.org/product/1366100697
groze: That shouldn't affect a best selling list... the store entry is still the same, changing versions of the game in people's libraries shouldn't affect the number of sales or the total revenue of the sales of the game during the weekend.

My guess is that it maybe gave GOG some money during the weekend but now that the software refreshed for the week it's not selling that well, anymore. Which makes sense; why would anyone in their right mind be paying $60 for this?!
Except this is GOG and that is exactly how it works. Any time a game gets a new bonus freebie for example it changes it's ID in the catalogue.

If they've changed or reworked the versions for some reason it probably will effect the best sellers list.
But yay. I did get my Jolly Brolly!!
high rated
groze: ... why would anyone in their right mind be paying $60 for this?!
It isn't about selling for 60$, it is all about stomping as much green from future discounted sales as possible ... cashgrab safety net for the future. If you start with 30$, later when there are (pretty much inevitable) discounts going up to -75% it means the game is selling for 7.5$ ... when you start at 60$, even with 75% discount you are selling for 15$. With 'only' 50% discount you are selling for the full original price the game was supposed to sell for, but you have the psychological advantage of being able to slap huge '50% discount' sticker on the store page AND having discount announcement/advertisement on the front page of the GOG/Steam/whatever. So you hike up price as high as possible (or higher) and then go into full "look at us how great we are, we're giving you the game at discounted price" mode and still rake in good money. Especially when you pile similarly overpriced DLC / season pass on top of it. Nothing to do with how good the game is, or game development costs, or any similar nonsense developers love to use as excuse.

Take a guess how long it'll take We Greedy Few to start appearing on regular basis with discounts 50% (har har har, we're still being paid full price, har har har) or higher ... I bet it won't have to wait long.
groze: ... why would anyone in their right mind be paying $60 for this?!
gozer: It isn't about selling for 60$, it is all about stomping as much green from future discounted sales as possible ... cashgrab safety net for the future. If you start with 30$, later when there are (pretty much inevitable) discounts going up to -75% it means the game is selling for 7.5$ ... when you start at 60$, even with 75% discount you are selling for 15$. With 'only' 50% discount you are selling for the full original price the game was supposed to sell for, but you have the psychological advantage of being able to slap huge '50% discount' sticker on the store page AND having discount announcement/advertisement on the front page of the GOG/Steam/whatever. So you hike up price as high as possible (or higher) and then go into full "look at us how great we are, we're giving you the game at discounted price" mode and still rake in good money. Especially when you pile similarly overpriced DLC / season pass on top of it. Nothing to do with how good the game is, or game development costs, or any similar nonsense developers love to use as excuse.

Take a guess how long it'll take We Greedy Few to start appearing on regular basis with discounts 50% (har har har, we're still being paid full price, har har har) or higher ... I bet it won't have to wait long.
In general you're right, but when you take it to *this* level, and the game isn't even polished, you're going to offend people and/or become a laughing stock. And it kind of suggests that indy crowdfunding is more of a stopgap than a genuine alternative.
Post edited August 13, 2018 by richlind33
Compulsion's complete silence, to me, is an indicator of just how much this game is not doing nearly as well as they hoped for. For a company that was so proud of its openness, clarity and communication with their fans and customers, they sure went radio silent as soon as the game released and the first reviews started rolling in. No presence on this thread, no replies in the Steam forums, even their own forums have no active dev presence, at the moment. Maybe they're taking a break after years of working and crunching, maybe they can't talk because they're too busy working on fixing the numerous bugs and issues the game shipped with, but didn't they have a couple of community managers and PR people who know nothing about coding and programming, and whose sole reason to be on the team was to talk to customers? Because that's what they claimed before. What are those people doing, now? Helping with bugs when they can't code?

Even if you ignore all the technical issues, this clearly isn't a $60 game. I've watched multiple playthroughs, already, and the game just isn't worth the price, I don't understand what is it that Compulsion thinks would make their game worthy of a AAA experience. The story? Sure, Arthur's arc seems interesting enough, but the two new characters feel really shoe'd-in, the girl's part of the game is particularly bad. The world is interesting, but so is the world in so many other indie games, and those don't sell for the price of a AAA title. This game is a nice experience, I assume, especially as soon as they iron out all the bugs, but from what I've seen, it's surely not worth the price they're asking for it.

As for all the people defending this studio and their game, pulling "whataboutisms" regarding Bethesda, you guys are delusional, right? Bethesda, despite everything, despite the bugs, ACTUALLY makes AAA games, you can't compare an Elder Scrolls or one of their Fallout games with We Happy Few, not in terms of scope or polish, regardless of the bugs. Heck, it's a miracle that considering how huge and complex Bethesda's games are, they ship with as FEW bugs as they do. Are they lazy when it comes to solving them, and leaving everything in the hands of the modding community? Sure. But you can't compare Bethesda to Compulsion, one is an actual AAA studio that makes (buggy) AAA games, the other is an indie dev that made a (buggy) indie game with the fifth of the scope of a Bethesda title, none of the polish, and is trying to sell it for the price of a AAA game, complete with $30 DLC, and everything.

Don't buy this game. That's all I'm saying. These guys don't deserve our money and our support. If you bought the game before the absurd price hike, you were intelligent, because you bought the game at a price everyone feels was fair for what they're giving us now, and I hope you truly are enjoying the game. But don't pay $60 for a game that's basically psychedelic (buggy) The Long Dark with the "interwoven" three character stories of Pathologic, set in The Prisoner TV series universe, if it was procedurally generated. For less money than We Happy Few costs, you can get both Pathologic and The Long Dark, and if you add the price of the DLC on top of that, you could even get a nice blu-ray collection of The Prisoner, so you're getting all that's good about We Happy Few, only better, cheaper and with no bugs.
Post edited August 13, 2018 by groze